Lightning

Does Ford have a 'break in' programmed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002 | 09:35 PM
|
Does Ford have a 'break in' programmed

into the computer? I know that sounds like a weird question but here is why I ask.

I bought my truck on the 9th of Feb. I live like 2 miles from work and drive it everyday. I clean the truck every morning when I wake up (that’s like lunch for most of you, I work 2nd shift) and every morning the exhaust tips have been BLACK! I mean covered in soot, very nasty.

UNTIL this week.

Now Saturday I finally hit 500 miles while out riding around. I cleaned the truck Saturday evening and drove it a few hours Sunday, then to work and back yesterday and this morning the tips were spotless. No black, soot, or anything.....

Does ford run the trucks rich the first 500 to help with break in?

Just curious...
Johnie

{yes I am a clean freak for those that couldn't tell}

Old 02-26-2002 | 10:18 PM
I noticed the same thing with my exhaust tips, too. I used to clean them every time I washed my truck but somewhere between 3k and 5k miles, they stopped getting black. I remember a post about someone hearing of the "break in" period from their salesperson but they were shot down pretty quickly. I dunno - maybe there's some truth to it.

Old 02-26-2002 | 10:29 PM
|
It is the only thing I could come up with to explain the sudden change.

I guess I will know for sure when I fill up next time. The first two tanks were 11mpg. Thought it would be worse than that so I was happy with 11. just got back from lunch and now I have 612.2 miles on her.

I have to say this.

The more I drive this truck, the more i like it!
Everyday I miss my mustang less and less

Last edited by lxtac; 02-26-2002 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2002 | 10:45 PM
My guess is that the rings just took a seat.

Andy

Old 02-27-2002 | 10:17 AM
I don't know the answer, but I noticed the same thing with my wife's '01 Ranger. Except not only did the exhaust stop getting blackened. . .the power output went up dramatically (well, for a four banger anyway). I know a kid that just bought an '01 Lightning. I drove it and truthfully it felt slow. But I have heard that after about 10k miles they 'wake up'. Perhaps there is something going on with a factory break-in.

Later,

Old 02-27-2002 | 11:35 AM
My 01 shifted at 3,400 rpm's for the first 1k miles at WOT. It didn't matter how hard I hammered it, from a dead stop or a roll. Never have seen anyone else post about this so I figured it wasn't something programed from the factory. Still has me kinda puzzled though At 1k on the odometer that all changed one night coming home from work when I hit WOT from a stop... She went straight up to redline after ripping off a few dollars of f-1 rubber and has never looked back

Quick Reply: Does Ford have a 'break in' programmed