Lightning

Rod Knock?? Piston Slap??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 08:31 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same noise i had and it ended up being the passenger side head bro. Does it sound like an exhaust leak?

Old 05-20-2003, 09:35 AM
I just noticed a ticking noise coming from the passenger side above the exhaust pipe but below the valve covers. I used a stethoscope and couldn't hear anything mechanical. Sounds like an exhaust leak to me.

Old 05-20-2003, 11:55 AM
Piston slap will be more of a knocking noise than a tick. It usually occurs when the motor is cold and subsides when it warms up. The combination of forged pistons(expanding) and a short skirt are what causes it. My truck has it and it is embarrassing at times, but I've tried everything short of pulling the motor to fix it.

The injectors make quiet a bit of noise but they are usually only heard with the hood up.

I'm going to guess a exhaust leak or spark plug backing out. It's hard to say when you can't see it?? Good luck and I hope you get it worked out.

Thanks Mike

Old 06-03-2003, 09:53 PM
Just got my L back after taking it to the dealer for right side engine tapping, (actually it is more like a ticking). The dealer had it for over 2 weeks awaiting right and left side lash adjusters on order. So when I get to the dealer the first thing I do is crank it and listen. Guess what!?!?!? The tapping is exactly the same as it was before, on the right side of the engine, not on top of the head where I assume a lash adjuster noise would be!! Well I got the SVT mechanic out there to listen and he comes clean saying that yea its still there, but also says they just don't know where its coming from. I pointed out that it was coming from behind the right factory exhaust manifold/header and that it sure sounds like a exhaust leak from a single port or tube. He said they checked and that wasn't it. The guy said I could bring it back and they could tear down the entire engine, but Ford would send an inspector to check the truck first for a history of unauthorized mods! I told him I didn't care about no stinking inspector cause' I haven't done anything to it anyway and I just want my 32K$ truck running right before the warranty runs out! He also said that despite tearing down the engine, we staill may never know what the noise is. I also asked him if he thought it was piston slap, but he said it doesn't sound like that which I tend to agree with. My next guess is head gasket. Looks like I'll be taking my L back again.

Old 06-03-2003, 11:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My bone stock L has had a slight knocking sound since the first oil change. Sounds very much like diesel clatter.

Does it all of the time, warm or cold. Very noticeable. When I was on the starting grid at the track, a guy 20 feet away heard it and came up to me to ask what the noise was.

It got louder over the first 1,000 miles or so, has had about the same volume since then.

I have flogged the holy crap out of that engine at open track events and it has not gotten any worse. I'm biding my time now -- I have made a repeated written record with the dealer (and Ford and SVT via mail). It's a couple more years until the warranty is out. Hopefully by then they will have only 03 heads available for the rebuild. The only downside to the wait is that I cannot mod the engine until then.

Old 06-04-2003, 12:36 AM
Tim,

Ford was supposed to be out of the old heads a couple of months back when they made the part number change.

Old 06-04-2003, 01:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ayrton
Tim,

Ford was supposed to be out of the old heads a couple of months back when they made the part number change.
Is that also true for remanufactured engines? I assume that any internal engine damage would warrant a full replacement engine. Does anyone know if the replacement engines all have 03 heads on them by now?

Old 06-15-2003, 11:01 PM

I was following my SVT mechanic's advice to drive my 01 L for a while with the ticking coming from the passenger side engine before bringing it back to be looked at closer, when all of the sudden bang!!!! It blew a spark plug!!!! Now I know what a missing spark plug sounds like and let me tell you there is no mistake on this one. So here I am on the side of the road with my 32k$ truck thinking how that SVT mechanic told me it wasn't the plugs!!! OMG!!!!!! What training is given to these dudes?!!! I know that these engines are having this problem and have read plenty threads on blown plugs, but this guy didn't have a clue. Now I know that my head is probably ruined and no telling what else. What the heck is going on in the FoMoCo SVT F150 assembly line?!!! Is somebody on crack and forgetting to torque plugs?!!! My faith in this vehicle is gone. What if this happens again after my warranty runs out? I wouldn't be able to run out and buy a head, or much less pay for the labor. My truck has never been modded in any fashion, I've done meticulous oil changes and routine maintenance yet this happens. After my repair work is done there will be a 2001 black lightning with factory option bed cover, Nitto 555's, and 26K miles on it for sale. If interested Drop me an E-mail. I'm asking $28,000 obo. This truck is super clean and has plenty of documented maintenance.

Jackd003@hotmail.com

Old 06-29-2003, 05:03 AM
Lightbulb blown spark plug

If anybody else has had a blown spark plug, take time and send in a complaint form via this link. Ford should replace our faulty heads with ones that aren't going to spit plugs out like they were KY'y in!

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Old 06-29-2003, 05:49 AM
I have a slight ticking but I think it's the lifters or injectors, runs fine. Only hear it when the hood is up.

Quick Reply: Rod Knock?? Piston Slap??