Lightning

Rod Knock?? Piston Slap??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 10:07 PM
Suspended For Rules Violations
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rod Knock?? Piston Slap??

Steady ticking, not loud, but noticeable. I can hear it better from under the truck(also noticed that it is coming from around the engine), rather than sticking my ear by the engine. If I give it throttle the ticking gets faster with RPM's and slower with RPM's. Any guesses???

Old 03-08-2002, 11:59 PM
sounds like an exaust leak to me. Did you change the plugs recently ? mabey one is working its way loose.

Old 03-09-2002, 12:16 AM
Opinion....

I think alot of this so called piston slap is Exhaust noise. I have been checking my truck every day since first oil change a few days ago and on initial start up the cat's rattle and sound like a tapping noise. I do hear some noise from the engine also listened to cam covers sounded like a (Roller Rocker) noise nothing bad just a mechanical noise (normal to me) I know there is no rollers in this motor just a example

Slick

Old 03-09-2002, 03:21 AM
Plugs were done a few months ago (late December i believe.) Maybe I'll see if I can get in there and check how tight they are in. Exhaust leak is possible. You know those straight pipes.. Also, It could have been the drivers side cat(s), like I said, sound was towards the engine, and louder under the truck(dr. side) rather than above. Thanks guys.

p.s. I drove it tonight (easy ofcourse) and watched out for any strange noises or driving differences. Everything felt fine.....I even punched it once or twice just to make sure.

Old 03-09-2002, 09:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't help with the noise issue Marcus, but isn't it time to update your user name........maybe BLackBoLT01

Old 03-09-2002, 01:39 PM
time to update your user name........maybe BLackBoLT01
and close that hood!!

Old 03-09-2002, 02:16 PM
Talking

Ya know, i thought about changing the name, but I worked too hard to get these 1,383 posts, and well, I just can't bring myself to throw it away! (besides ont he "other" boards, I have BLackBoLT01 as my SN)

And if I close the hood how would all that cool air get to my flux compacitor???

Old 03-10-2002, 03:00 PM
If it's not "ticking", but "knocking" like the sound a diesel makes, my motor was just replaced for this.

Old 05-15-2003, 03:59 PM
Just took My 01 Lightning to the dealer for last chance warranty fixes. (29K miles) Slight tapping coming from mostly passenger side of engine during idle whether cold start up or normal operating temp. I suspected lifter, but had hoped for maybe just an exhaust leak. Got call from dealer yesterday reporting that it was a lifter and that they were going to replace them all, but I'll be without my L for a week. They gave me a rental car for the repair time frame, but it wasn't a lightning

In the past, this SVT dealer has been very obliging in all my problems: check engine light on from emission cannister valve malfunct., fog lights cracked, driver side 'A' frame slip, seatbelt recall, driver and pass. window noise. This lifter thing is kinda scary to me though since it requires tearing down the top end of my engine. I hope they put it back together right!

Old 05-15-2003, 04:08 PM
Valvetrain clatter isn't uncommon in these motors. Same with injector/rail noise.

Sadly, piston slap is also not uncommon. However, piston slap is a much deeper sound. You can tell the difference based on pitch and location of the sound. Now that i've heard both its easy to tell the difference. Its hard to describe but injector/rail noise is a ticking, valvetrain is a clatter or rattling, and piston slap is a knocking. Location is the big teller and the only way to figure that out is to walk around the engine and listen from front to back, side to side, and vertically.

Old 05-15-2003, 05:27 PM
Re: Opinion....

Originally posted by SLICK0478
I think alot of this so called piston slap is Exhaust noise. I have been checking my truck every day since first oil change a few days ago and on initial start up the cat's rattle and sound like a tapping noise. I do hear some noise from the engine also listened to cam covers sounded like a (Roller Rocker) noise nothing bad just a mechanical noise (normal to me) I know there is no rollers in this motor just a example

Slick
i thought we had roller followers or whatever they are called?

Old 05-15-2003, 07:07 PM
Take a piece of wood or a stethescope <sp> and listen to the motor at different places...This works well .

Old 05-20-2003, 01:52 AM
i'd suspect that you've got a plug working loose. the sounds you describe sound similar to what i heard a week ago just before the plug decided to launch out of the head. the dealer's working on it now.

Old 05-20-2003, 02:44 AM
check you idler pullies ....Mine were packed with dust...the backside is open....they did not spin freely and now spin much better....I have seen posts claiming this makes a ticking noise.......not sure I heard it...but I am half deaf from the R&R and guns shots....not to mention loud pipes and ...bongs..laughin'

Old 05-20-2003, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Twisted99
.....not sure I heard it...but I am half deaf from the R&R and guns shots....not to mention loud pipes and ...bongs..laughin'
So that explains my hard-of-hearing problem

Quick Reply: Rod Knock?? Piston Slap??