Lightning

Slowest L on this board!!!!! :-(

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slowest L on this board!!!!! :-(

Well.........finally got her out to the track! 2 very disturbing runs! Here is the summary (95% humidity, mid to high 70's, 1 hour between runs.........plus it rained, and they dried the track between runs):

Run 1:
14.31 @ 97.73mph
2.223 60'
.623 R/T

Run 2:
14.36 @96.70mph
2.167 60'
.591 R/T

I'm extremely disappointed. Imy first ever time at the track, not only with the truck, but in any rear-wheel drive vehicle. My launches didn't feel bad at all..........No slipping or nothing...........I was powerbraking till about 1700-1800 or so, and mashing it on the last yellow. She just went..........but it feels as though she's seriously running out of top-end.........like she's struggling to make her revs up high, I don't know. I was so unhappy.............now, instead of my mods making me real fast, they're simply going to put me back to what you guys are running stock! How sad

What in the blue hell am I doing wrong...........maybe I can bring the revs higher to get a more powerful launch? I can't do much about her top end though.

Plz help!!!!!!!!

JC

Old 03-28-2002, 09:15 AM
when it cools off you should be in the high 13s.

Old 03-28-2002, 09:22 AM
Here's my first run w/my 2001 for comparison:

13.86 @ 101.76
2.252 60' (sux)
.511 R/T

That was the first time I ever raced. Have not made any subsequent runs, but plan on doing so very soon! I have GOT to improve my 60' time.

Maybe the clocks at your track are off, or something!

Old 03-28-2002, 09:24 AM
JC
I think I see your problems

you said
(95% humidity, mid to high 70's, 1 hour between runs.........plus it rained, and they dried the track between runs)
Well thats about the worst conditions to run good times in. Those conditions and will add a few tenths to your times

Is your truck stock, what mods do you have?

If you are stock you are launching all wrong, do not power brake and then mash the gas. Try launching right from idle, and ease into the throttle. That will help to get your 60' times into the 1.8-1.9 range.

What are you running for air in the rear tires, I run 27psi. Try going to the track on a cool dry night, and launch the way I told you. I am sure your times will improve.

So relax things will improve, it takes a while to learn how to launch these trucks. If I lived closer I would take your truck and get her into the 13's. Meet up with the other L's at the track, and ask them how they launch, set up there trucks, cool down things like that.

You will be Ok I am sure your truck is fine, it will just take you a while to learn how to drive.

Last edited by Don's Bolt; 03-28-2002 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Don's Bolt
JC
I think I see your problems

you said
(95% humidity, mid to high 70's, 1 hour between runs.........plus it rained, and they dried the track between runs)
Well thats about the worst conditions to run good times in. Those conditions and will add a few tenths to your times

Is your truck stock, what mods do you have?

If you are stock you are launching all wrong, do not power brake and then mash the gas. Try launching right from idle, and ease into the throttle. That will help to get your 60' times into the 1.8-1.9 range.

What are you running for air in the rear tires, I run 27psi. Try going to the track on a cool dry night, and launch the way I told you. I am sure your times will improve.

Thanks Don,

I have no mods at all...........except for my Belltech 2" rear drop, which may help me a little in launching, if at all.

I left my air pressure at 32psi.........didn't deflate them at all.

I didn't think anything better than a 2.0x on stock tires in bone stock trim would be possible. That would be quite impressive to get it in the 1.9's..............I guess the conditions made it the worst case scenario also.............and in comparing what some other "fast vehicles were running", it's understandable:

Here is a summary of some times I saw last night:

Supercharged S2000: 14.1x
BMW M5: 14.3x
Ferrari Modena: 14.0x
Z06: 13.1x
WRX's: low 15's
'02 Lightning Blue 13.6x (the only impressive one)
Mustang Gt's: low to mid 14's.......lots of them

later,
JC

Old 03-28-2002, 09:48 AM
MiamiSVT,

Don't worry about it. Mine ran 14.30 @ 95mph Stock!

I keep telling everyone.......South Florida is ABSOLUTELY the worst conditions in the country to run, but no one seems to realize or aknowledge this!

A few mods, a day with NO Humidity and BAMM
.................12.80's @105mph!!

You could improve a little on your 60', I ran 1.87-1.92 Stock....and trust me....your losing valuable 1/4 time by leaving the line that high in the RPM. With a stock converter you should leave at 1,000 rpm or so.

Don't get discouraged!!!

Old 03-28-2002, 10:41 AM
MiamiWhiteSVT-L,

I agree with everything the other guys that posted said.

Without a chip, you are experiencing Ford's infamous 3-4 drop. Ford programmed this into the stock computer to minimize torque strain on the transmission. What it does, is, when the truck shifts into second gear, at WOT, the computer drops 3 cylinders for 4 tenths of a second and you loose boost. It takes the blower a second or two to start making boost again and in the meantime your screwed.

A chip will eliminate this. With a chip and the boost by-pass unplugged you will start making some serious power. Until then you're going to have to settle for high 13's or low 14's.

The other guys are dead-on-right about your 60' problems. 60' times are critical for a fast run. Launch at a lower RPM, around 1000 to 1200 and ease into the throttle. Sometimes you have to go slower to go faster, like they say in Nascar.

Old 03-28-2002, 11:13 AM
This 3-4 drop not only occurs at the 1-2 shift, but I also notice it during the 2-3 shift. I can hear it.

Old 03-28-2002, 03:36 PM
Thanks for keeping my spirits up guys..............after so many months of anticipation, and a never-before-felt seat-of-pants rush when I drive this truck, I really thought it'd do better...........But oh well, can't all have nice track temperatures and conditions like you other guys..........some of us have to live in FLA...........I guess it makes it that much more of a formidable task for those of you who have hit 12's here in FL.

It's mod time baby..........starting next week for sure!!!!! YIPEEE!

JC

Old 03-28-2002, 06:24 PM
Miami,

I was out there last night as well and it was way hot. I gave up when the rains came but still managed a 13.97 @ 99mph with a 2.07 60ft and stock motor. I had just put in my chip to whip up on that 02 blue when it started to sprinkle. I watched you run once and you were spinning the tires pretty good off the line. I am sure your turck is fine and you just need to get the feel for the track.

Do yourself a favor and come on over to the dial in side next time and get away from the 200+ sportsman cars. It's nice to be third in line, make your pass and be able to park the truck right away.

BTW the quickest L there last night ran 13.32 @ 102 also white and also in sportsman.

Old 03-28-2002, 06:50 PM
DB
That's not abnormal for the conditions - look at the other vehicles times you mentioned.

Out here in the summer it can be very difficult to get out of the 14's with a stock truck.

Old 03-28-2002, 09:58 PM
I think I saw your run KerrDogg.......I believe I saw you run a 14.0x earlier, and I remember thinking, "that's what i'm shooting for.......i'd be ECSTATIC with that for my first time........but it was not to be........

I wish I could see myself run...........don't own a camcorder........to see where i mess up and stuff........

DID U SEE THE 16.XX AND 17.XX SECOND RUN OF THAT OTHER WHITE L????

OUCH!! That wasn't you was it??? J/K!!

I guess I'll join the dial-in side next time..........thanks,
JC

Quick Reply: Slowest L on this board!!!!! :-(