Lightning

1st time at track with L. Not very good...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002 | 12:30 AM
|
Angry 1st time at track with L. Not very good...

Ok, so i ran the '01 L for the first time down the 1/4 mile tonight. Check my sig for mods. I don't have the 4# pulley or Bassani on yet. I was discussing my poor times with another guy (Struck in AZ) and our thought is that since the chip is burned for running a 4# pulley, that it's dumping in WAY too much fuel to run without it. There was also a slight dip in power around 4,000 (give or take) that lasted for a slip second each time, maybe part of the program?.?.? I never got a chance to run stock, but i think it should have been around a 13.6. I was going to pull the chip and run but no one had an 8mm wrench and i was ready to go anyway. Struck ran a 13.6 stock in his '01 (and i've seen others run better). So, here's the question:

Did i run this slow because the chip is tuned for the 4# pulley?? I'd call JDM and ask but it's late.

Times:
R/T .763 .718
60' 2.096 2.171
1/4 13.857 13.900
MPH 99.85 99.91

Last edited by Weedo; 03-30-2002 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-30-2002 | 03:58 AM
your chip will definitely be tuned to run rich, as adding the pulley will lean out the fuel:air ratio. If you have your chip tuned for the best performance without a pulley, and then add a pulley, you will have major detonation. Install that pulley and THEN see what you think

-Mike

Old 03-30-2002 | 05:16 AM
Those are respectable runs for your first time. Mods are just one ingredient in the "recipe" for fast times. I've found that there's alot to be gained in launching the L (good launch shows in your 60' time). Launching has been covered alot, may be worth looking into for your next trip to the strip.
Have fun!

Old 03-30-2002 | 06:00 AM
I dunno if your times will be much better with all that stuff done, I ran a 13.5 at california speedway with all the stuff in my sig, my 60' were pretty decent too, around 2.1

Old 03-30-2002 | 09:47 AM
I would definitely put your pulley on and try again. My 2000 bone stock ran a 13.7 w/ a 1.9x 60 ft time. When I added a 2# pulley, JDM chip, JDM cold air induction, and 90mm MAF (which comes stock on 2001 and 2002) I ran a 13.2 w/ a 2.1 60 ft time on a hot motor. If you call JDM they will help you, but it does sound like the chip was to rich for the setup w/o the pulley.

Old 03-30-2002 | 09:50 AM
Basically with your chip running rich your prob close to a stock setup. Thats prob not bad times with a rich running truck and nothing else......

Old 03-30-2002 | 10:46 AM
|
Any ideas on the loss of power at around 4,000 rpm or so?? It's VERY noticeable and happened on every run down the track. I mostly noticed it in 2nd gear since 1st runs out too fast.

Oh, i did try a different launch as a test too. It brought me a 14.4 @ 98mph. My first 2 launches were off idle. My third (the 14.4) i was power braking up to around 1200 rpm. I spun all the way through first gear, hit 2nd, then it downshifted back into first since i was only going around 15mph when it downshifted.

So as far as launching techniques, off idle brought me only 2.0 and 2.1 60' times. 1200rpm brought me WAY too much spin. Must be i need to be around 1000rpm, which, when i think about it, is about where it is when you hammer it off idle?.?

Old 03-30-2002 | 02:55 PM
Angry

Weedo...get it right man! I ran a 13.599 @ 101.842 when I was stock (and that was on a 2.07 60' which is common at tracks here).

Looking back at my dyno runs when I added my chip (which was also burned for a 4 lb.'er and was a more agressive program than the one you're running) only gave me 11.9 hp and 3 ft-lb.'s at peak numbers. I did however see a maximum gain of 22.2 hp and 21.2 ft.-lb.'s but that was at 5500 rpm and after I had put the JDM Cold Air induction kit on. If I compare those numbers to what my stock airbox and filter gave me (prior to losing numbers with the open air filter) there was a gain of only 11.5 and 11.4 respectively, again at 5500 rpm (aren't dynos a wonderful thing!). It's reasonable to assume that with your chip and the burn that you're running you saw even less of a gain...which wouldn't put you too far from stock numbers.

But maybe, just maybe, it's one of two other things (the second being the most probable):

1) You're truck's a dog!
2) As Kelley said last night, you can't drive nails much less a vehicle!

Seriously, I have no idea why you're truck's dropping off at about 4000 rpm but nothing that a dyno and an A/F reading won't find (hopefully...unless it's convertor lock-up or lack of). Also, the single biggest improvement I noticed was actually putting on the pulley that the chip had been burned for...night and day difference. So, if JDM ever manages to get 'bearings' for the interchangeable lowers than we'll take care of you. Lastly, depending on weather last night (and it was probably warmer and more humid than when I ran my numbers - neither of which are good for times) you could have been off as well.

One last thing, inquiring minds want to know...tell us that you upheld our honor and didn't get worked by a gutted Honda Civic that sounded like a chainsaw...like PeterB! (Had to get that dig in Peter!)

Last edited by Struck in AZ; 03-30-2002 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2002 | 03:26 PM
Rest In Peace
Why would you run a chip burned for a 4# pulley and not have the 4# on?? If you ask me thats just asking for trouble.

Old 03-30-2002 | 03:34 PM
Vin,

JDM's been a little slow to get their new interchangeable pulley out. Weedo and I have both had one on order (and both have been prepaid) for nearly a month now. Can't install what you don't have...and there's actually no harm in running a chip burned for a 4 lb.'er. Almost guarantees that there will be no chance of detonation since the truck is running pig rich.

Old 03-30-2002 | 08:16 PM
Umm well in my case i had plans on taking my truck to the dealer for some work, but wanted my chip in =) Obviously not wanting to do the work twice i figured i would just wait, now she is on though, and running strong.

B

Old 03-30-2002 | 09:02 PM
|
Here's the deal:
I talked to Jim at JDM today. He asked me to pull the chip and call him back and read him the code. I did. Turns out he accidently sent me a chip burned for California gas and a 6lb pulley!! No problem, these things happen, and i'm not mad about that at all. And to let you know, he's shipping the correct chip out Monday morning. So anyway, this is probably why the truck ran a 13.9. Jim said it should still run around what it runs stock but wasn't 100% sure with the chip being so far off of what i need. So i pulled the chip. I'll keep you all posted if i can make it to the track next week with no chip to see if it gets any better! Then the following week i'll have the chip AND pulley so this will all be a mute point.
Anyone know if California gas is different than Arizona as Jim said?? I'll fire up a new Thread.

Quick Reply: 1st time at track with L. Not very good...