Lightning

Photo of my pinion snubber

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
????????

You mean some nickel-dime officially "unresearched" thing like using a muffler clamp for traction actually works??? Gee, sometimes innovation is relatively inexpensive. Good mods don't ALWAYS have to be 400.00 and up. Lets get this more detailed cus I'm all for clamping the springs. And yes if you leave the snubber set as close as you need for a good race set up, it will bottom out. But resetting it is a pc of cake. Just have to get under the truck to do it. or get someone to do it for you-wife, kids, friend, relative that likes your truck.

USAHooters--- If you wouldn't mind. a pics worth a thousand word, which you already gave us anyway, so some of us dummies need a picture painted for us.

Aggiesvt -- aren't you using this snubber?

Last edited by DR.D; 04-03-2002 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:50 PM
Re: ????????

Originally posted by DR.D
And yes if you leave the snubber set as close as you need for a good race set up, it will bottom out.
Contrary to popular beleif the "track" setting is pretty far away from the pinion. Putting it closer causes SERIOUS problems......I am sure a few guys on here know what I mean My "track" position is close to 2" away from the pinion........I have NEVER bottomed out yet with it there.

--Joe

Old 04-03-2002, 01:02 PM
Yep,

I am using the snubber, well not right at this moment on the street. I have VERY rough roads around where I live and I bottomed out with the snubber being about 3" from the hogs head on stuff like bridge connections and RR tracks. When I raced, I used the snubber about 1/2" from the hogs head and had no problems what so ever. I also adjusted the snubber up and out of use when I last pulled my boat. I didn't want it to hit with the extra weight on the back. So far I really like the snubber, and I think it does what it is supposed to. I just want a little more help over each wheel. I don't like the looks of the traction bars, therefore I am very interested in usahooters solution

Old 04-03-2002, 02:12 PM
Wink SOAP

There is no "rule" for setting the snubber. Depends on how active you want it. Not arguing so don't be defensive. Lots o' stuff here is preferences. So I agree and disagree. Either way, it's a good way to go. It is a trial and error setup. I plan on starting at about an 1-1/2 inch for the track. Probably back it off totally for driving. All is cool and I ain't always right. I'll be the first to take it when I got it coming.

Old 04-03-2002, 02:27 PM
I'll get you some pics of my clamps as soon as I can.

Old 04-03-2002, 02:36 PM
AggieSVT,
When you had your snubber set at 1/2 inch were you on street tires or slicks?Did you heat the tires up before your takeoff and was it a WOT launch?

Old 04-03-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by HIGH ROLLER
AggieSVT,
When you had your snubber set at 1/2 inch were you on street tires or slicks?Did you heat the tires up before your takeoff and was it a WOT launch?
Why not fill everyone in on what porpoising feels like Matt

--Joe

Old 04-03-2002, 04:40 PM
All right Im going to try and post this right. I've never put links like this on the board. If this doesn't work look in the galleries under usahooters and the clamps are in there.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...3618&anum=1350

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...3620&anum=1350

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...3619&anum=1350

Hey it worked, hehehe
I bet you expected something harder to make than that. As I said I tried them all over the spring before I got it right. My 60' went from 1.9's to 1.7's.

Last edited by usahooters; 04-03-2002 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2002, 04:47 PM
Old 04-03-2002, 05:03 PM
Thanks clonetek

Old 04-03-2002, 05:07 PM
Just so everyone knows, Im running the truck at stock weight plus a TRI glass bed cover, about 125# I guess, front sway bar removed so the truck can transfer weight good on F1's with 28 psi. No other traction mods yet. Waiting on Soaps numbers after installing his pinion snubber.

Old 04-03-2002, 05:15 PM
Thanks

USAHooters, thanks for letting me check that out. I'm gonna try it.

Soap-Porpoising - xplain??

Old 04-04-2002, 08:06 AM
When I ran my 2 runs on the track on F-1 at about 28 pounds pressure (extremely busy day) I started the snubber at about 3/4" clearance. Pretty much a wide open launch, as this was my first time to drag(basically dumped the throttle and had to let out then try to feather it). Not great traction, sorry 60' times. Adjusted the snubber down to 1/2" Tried to feather the throttle this time ( a little less nervous) much better 60' times, and the truck did not porpois(sp?) The truck felt much better during the launch. I think the snubber helped tremendously as well as a little experience. I will have to do more testing to get it where I feel comfortable. They just opened an 1/8 mile track less than an hour from my house. It is open every Fri and Sat night for timed racing. Plan on doing a bunch of launches before heading back to Ennis' 1/4 mile track.

By the way, the settings I started with were suggested from the actual manufacturer of the snubber. I talked to him before I even bought it. As far as street traction, I kept mine at about 3" and LOVED the way it would hook, only would bottom out in 3 places around where I drive( bad dips in roads, bridge seams, RR tracks). I don't run it right now as I pull my boat quite a bit, and don't want to mess with it everytime I go get the boat or unhook the boat. It is a pretty heavy boat, and all you are doing with the kind of torque we pull in these trucks is riding the snubber. The first time I put my boat on with the snubber, I actually had to jack up the boat to unload the snubber to loosen it up and put it out of the way.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to get as much of my experience out as possible. I get a HUGE amount of information from this board and like to return the favor when possible.

Old 04-04-2002, 08:20 AM
pohr-pus-sing--verb--swimming gracefully in water, to bounce up and down in a rebounding type of motion.

Well our trucks fall into the second category. Think of it like this......when the snubber is close to the pinion and you launch hard the snubber will slam into the pinion and bounce off it (since it is rubber) but since we stay in the throttle the rear end is still being forced to squat back down so the snubber again slams back into the pinion. This process repeats until we either get out of it or the rear of the truck no longer is squating. It is VERY violant and is not safe at all. There have been quite a few people on here that have had this happen to them. Most cases I have heard of so far have had it happen to them after heating up their slicks (ET Streets, Nitto's etc) then launching hard with the snubber too close to the pinion.

I hope to god this does not happen to me this weekend at the strip.

Hope that helps......Joe

Old 04-04-2002, 09:06 AM
Thanks for explaining that Soap. I had a good idea what it ws but still needed the details about how it happened. So about 3-inches is a good setting?

Quick Reply: Photo of my pinion snubber