Lightning

Photo of my pinion snubber

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Correct height

What i would suggest is start out around 2 inches off the pinion and test it at that height with a WOT takeoff and see what the results are,if fine i would lower in 1/2 inch increments to find where your snubber works best on your truck!

Joe,
You the man!

Matt

Old 04-04-2002, 10:47 AM
DL
Hey guys,

Sorry, the pinion snubber wouldn't work on my truck no matter what length I adjusted it to. I had wheel hop at any adjustment. I guess my Nitto drag radials are really hooking up

Before going to the track: I tried launching my truck on the street at different settings. If I Feather the throttle, it would come out of the whole OK. When I got on it hard a couple of times, it would start to HOP.

1 st pass at the track. I was scared, so I feather the throttle 1.93 60 ', that sucked.

2 nd pass, I decided I would see how it would work at pretty much WOT at the light. I bounced up and down a couple of times hard and immmediately let off.

I decided to quit and go home for the night. Next day, driveshaft is making funny noises. After inspection, the driveshaft was damaged.

I'm on my 2nd driveshaft in 3 weeks.

When I broke driveshaft number 1, the truck hooked great out of the hole, with no wheel hop.

The pinion snubber has got to go, so it went. I decided I'm not racing again until I get traction bars.

Old 04-04-2002, 09:42 PM
I would think that a 2-3" setting from the pinion is going to be death on the driveshafts. The amount of rotation in degrees will be substantial.

I haven't had a chance to do the geometry on the pinion snubbers, but Truck-Traks will only allow about 1 1/2 to 2 degrees of rotation at 1 1/2" of snubber clearance. If you allow 3" of upward rotation at the pinion, you are probably going to see at least 10 degrees of pinion angle change.

I'll plot it tomorrow. Aluminum driveshafts will not survive this much pinion angle change.

Old 04-04-2002, 10:55 PM
DL
I have my truck lowered 2 inches with drop shackles. I only have about a 2 3/4 inches of adjustment. I tried launching my truck with it 1/2 inch, 3/4 , 1, 1 1/2 , 2, 2 1/2 . I have a nice 1/4 mile or so flat paved road in front of where I live. I mad several passes in each position from staging at 1,000 RPM, then mashing on the pedal to rolling on the gas.

It would start top hop on When I went from 1,000 to the floor.
Rolling on the gas seemed to work OK.

I like coming out of the hole as fast as I can, rolling on the gas starts don't cut it for me. I'll take 1.71 starts to rolling out 1.93's anyday.

Sorry, but I got rid of my pinion snubber. Got some New Metco Lower Track Link bars installed on the L today. They are very good quality and so far they work very well. Going to the track next week to find out for sure. Initial review, is very, very good.

Old 04-04-2002, 11:08 PM
How about these for 60 bucks. Same theory... http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...176719&BQ=jcw2

Old 08-26-2002, 05:19 AM
I have FINALLY adjusted my pinion snubber for battle. I have it set about 1-3/4 -2" from the differential. Under any type of launch, hard or feathered, it feels better. It launches smooth and straight with little or no squat. I will be also putting Lakewood clamps on the springs. I'm happy with the snubber. Tho' at that setting I have to watch hard bumps. It will hit, But under normal driving and small to average surfaces it does fine.

Old 08-26-2002, 05:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Photo of my pinion snubber

Originally posted by soap
Well for everyone who has not seen one here it is. This is looking toward the front of the truck. It is mounted to the bed rails. The threaded snout that goes out of it hits the pinion.....that is how it is effective.

--Joe
Whats a matter soap......didn't have time to clean the rearend before you snapped the picture?
Iam surprised nobody said anything, but then again, thats why Iam here LOL

Quick Reply: Photo of my pinion snubber