Lightning

Cleaning exhaust tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did mine this morning...Mother's, then NuFinish...

Last edited by WantALight; 04-05-2002 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:18 AM
no they arent the same truck. a thought they looked a lot alike though. mine is silver and J's is white

Old 04-05-2002, 12:21 PM
Looks can be deceiving.......take a peak at WantALight's truck in that picture. It looks black except for the A pillar by the window you can tell it is really blue

--Joe

Old 04-05-2002, 01:09 PM
Has anyone ever raised the height of the stock tips? Mine seems to hang kind of low, thus it picks up more junk from the road. I tried raising it this past weekend, but in order to do so, the hanger that is bolted to the frame needs bent upwards about three inches. If I could eliminate the rubber hanger and just hard mount the two hangers together, that would be ideal. I got brand new exhaust tips a month ago from Ford (replaced under warranty because they looked so bad), and it has been quite a chore to keep them nice. I get a pitted area (looks like it was sand blasted) on the forward most tip from the bottom to about halfway up. If the Exhaust was raised up higher, I believe that this problem could be eliminated. Anyone else??

Old 04-05-2002, 01:15 PM
93Cobra: My tips hung kinda low from the factory, too. When I had me Magnaflow installed, I had the installer raise them up. The pipes from the muffler outlet to the tips had to be replaced, so raising them was easy.

Old 04-06-2002, 05:40 AM
OK-

When I first heard about Ceramabryte, I ran right out and bought a quart bottle of the stuff. Turns out that after ONE use, it dulled and scuffed my tips to the point that I almost couldn't bring them back. I don't recommend using that kind of agent to clean the stock tips. Ceramabryte is not intended to clean ceramic. Or metallized ceramic for that matter. It is intended for use on glass, or stainless steel (like restaurant sinks and the like).

I wanna put this topic to bed right now. . .If you have stock tips, DON'T USE CERAMABRYTE or any other abrasive cleaner. The manufacturer will tell you the same thing (I know- I let 'em have it good after my experience!!) If you happen to have stainless steel tips, then these products are fine. But metalized ceramic (JET-HOT like the stock tips) needs to be cleaned and polished via other means. Mothers, Wenol, Gold Class metal restorer, all these are good. Steel wool, or any other abrasive methods are bad.

Old 04-06-2002, 10:13 AM
Well, glad I got all the advice before I tried something.

Those pictures speak for themselves; I went out and got a bottle of Mother's polish. I'll let you know how it goes.

Too bad about the 2 inches of snow that fell on my truck overnight.

Old 04-06-2002, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried the Ceramabryte first .. .and then the Mother's ...
The difference is astonishing ... I pray I didn't screw
up the finish ... See the details in my gallery Details ...

If I did ... I will just HAVE to get that Bassani earlier
than scheduled <LOL>

Old 04-12-2002, 02:28 AM
I put some oven cleaner on the inside of my tips, and it worked okay, so I tried some on te outside of my tips, BIG MISTAKE! Now they look all dull and crapy! Is there any way to bring back the shine, at all???

Old 04-12-2002, 02:47 PM
CrazyFoo-

You found out the hard way (just like I did) about Ceramabryte.

If you didn't grind that stuff into your tips too much or too hard, then you can bring them back.

1) Thoroughly clean them with brake parts cleaner and a terry cloth towel. Make sure they are clean and dry and in the shade when you do this.

2) Get some Mother's metal polish in the red can (not the new billet stuff). Moisten a wax applicator pad with some water, wring out the excess so that it's barely damp. Put some of the polish on it and rub it on the tips using a circular motion. Keep going until the goo starts to turn a dark black.

3) Grab a 100% terry cloth towel (clean and dry) and buff the black stuff off. I use a motion similar to a shoe-shine boy. Once most of the mothers is removed, grab a dremel or buffing wheel and hit the tips with it. If you don't have access to a buffing wheel, then use another clean towel and just buff the crap out of them.

If this technique doesn't bring them back then you will have to go the hard route and use jeweler's rouge and a high speed polisher. E-mail me if you have trouble and I can help more.

Let me know if this works for you.

Old 04-12-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by svt360
i hate to admit it but i use the dremel with a little neverdull
Ditto, same here. Used the little wire brush to get the crap off the inside and then used one of the little polishing tips. I use never dull on the outside.

Old 04-12-2002, 11:32 PM
WrongdayJ
thanx, i will try that tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Cleaning exhaust tips