Lightning

How long to change plugs???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002 | 10:02 AM
|

Just wondering how long a typical mechanic would be able to change the plugs in my 2000 L? What's the longest it has taken anybody? Waht can I expect? Thanks in advance.
Jason

Old 04-05-2002 | 10:14 AM
I always hear atleast a couple of hours.

Old 04-05-2002 | 11:25 AM
1 1/2-4 hrs directly dependant on the amount of Budweiser lubricant that is used.

Old 04-05-2002 | 11:46 AM
expect around 3hrs for your first time, then as practice sets in times go down.

Old 04-05-2002 | 12:16 PM
what is it that takes so long? are there any special tools that can greatly speed the process and what exactly is the process?

Old 04-05-2002 | 12:19 PM
Did mine this weekend, would've taken about 2-3 hrs (first time) but had some setbacks due to crap falling inside the plug chambers (thx to alarm installers) which took me 2 hrs to get out...LOL!

Maybe I should've used more beer. At least I would've enjoyed it more!

Chris

Old 04-05-2002 | 12:22 PM
Go to Sears and pick up some locking extensions, if you don't have any. A couple of 3" and 6". They are a great help. Also, a 7mm flex or swivel socket will help greatly for the coil pack screws. They were the hardest for me, especially the rear drivers side. Ugh.

Makes me hurt just thinking about it. Glad it's not something I have to do every week.

Chris

Old 04-05-2002 | 12:25 PM
Also, alot of people use a magnet to help with the pack bolts, but I didn't have much luck with it (pulls the bolt out when you try to get it off after seating). I found that a little electrical tape around the head of the bolt to basically temp. attach it to the socket was easier, as it held it to the socket and allowed you to get the thread started- then you simply pull the tape off before tightning it down.

Worked for me.

Chris

Old 04-05-2002 | 12:27 PM
Originally posted by dtdionne
what is it that takes so long? are there any special tools that can greatly speed the process and what exactly is the process?
Obviously you have never changed your plugs There are no special tools that make it any easier. Just the standard swivels and extensions. It just takes time because you are working in very tight areas.

--Joe

Old 04-05-2002 | 12:32 PM
Smile

Nice deduction Soap! How'd ya guess, i'd say if you aren't a PI...you should be Sherlock!

Any suggestions on swivels and extensions? Im not familar enough with tools to know what standard means

Going to sears to get the 295pc w/tool box special, in 30 min along with a jack and jack stands and im guessing swivels and extensions

Old 04-05-2002 | 12:48 PM
Originally posted by dtdionne
Nice deduction Soap! How'd ya guess, i'd say if you aren't a PI...you should be Sherlock!
I wasn't trying to be an a$$ it was just a joke. Anyway.....you need several extensions of different lengths. Like a couple 6" ones, a couple 3" ones should do. Also you need a 1/4" drive swivel and a 1/4" drive wratchet. You will also need a spark plug socket (one with the rubber boot in it), and a telescoping maganet never hurt (you will need it when you drop a bolt from the coil pack )

--Joe

Old 04-05-2002 | 12:55 PM
I was just kidding to, thanks for the input! Off to sears

Old 04-05-2002 | 01:02 PM
Make sure you get a 7 mm, 1/4" drive, swivel(universal joint is part of the socket) socket. I'll bet it won't be in that tool set you are buying. The coil-pack bolt on #6 will be almost, if not impossible to remove and tighten without it.

I got a big tube of dielectric grease fron NAPA and put a glob of it on the boot opening so it would seal out moisture and keep the boot from melting/sticking onto the plug.

Don't(I know, it's blasphemy!) try to 'torque' the plugs. Run them down finger-tight/snug--and then 1/16th of a turn more.

Now that you think I know all about this---it took me 4 1/2 hours to finish the job. It was a beeiotch! One of the techs in our town changed masterloggie's in 45 minutes.............

Dan

Old 04-05-2002 | 01:32 PM
ONE MORE THING!!!!
When installing the new plugs I used a piece of old heat shrink tubing that I slipped over the end of the plug. this allowed me to slide the plug into the hole and "hand" thread it in so as not to strip it, trying to start it with the socket. I have heard people use fuel line to guide the plug, I didn't have any on hand and I think the heat shrink tubing was more sensitive to the threading anyhow.

2 3/8's drive swivels help alot
1 1/4 drive 7mm socket with built in swivel (My new best friend!)
1 magnetic pickup tool (I used it to remove old plugs from bore as I didn't have a proper plug wrench with the rubber grommet)

just remember "with a little patience and some vasaline you can..." <--I'll let you fill in the blanks!!

Old 04-05-2002 | 02:35 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
about four beers

Quick Reply: How long to change plugs???