Lightning

Calling Chickenears

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002 | 03:12 PM
|
Calling Chickenears

Your L looks great with the kit installed. I am about to tackle this myself. Could you give me any tips?

Old 04-06-2002 | 03:19 PM
rear front hangers gussets to the front.
air tools, impact wrench, and mostly air hammer.
toss insturctions
time
beer
and did i say air tools..

jim

Old 04-06-2002 | 03:37 PM
Re: Calling Chickenears

Originally posted by EvilGuy
Your L looks great with the kit installed. I am about to tackle this myself. Could you give me any tips?
EvilGuy,

I wouldn't even attempt it without lots of air tools. You most definately need an air chisel with a flat cutting bit (the wide one that's about an inch or more wide) and the punch bit (round and flat on the end).

The key piece of advice I can give you is to do one side at a time and remove the U-bolts from the springs, and bolts from the shackle. This will let you move everything around a hell of a lot easier while aligning the spring with the hanger.

You also need a cut-off wheel grinder that you can use to cut an X in the rivets. This will make the rivets easier to cut through with the air chisel. Ear plugs are worth their weight in gold when using an air chisel.

This is not an easy project by anybodys standards. Go into it with the attitude that you are going to run into snags because you will.

I suggest that you read the instructions and have a good laugh, throw them in the trash, and figure it out on your own.

Put the gusset toward the front of the truck. Damn sure chock your front tires to keep the truck from moving and use good jack stands. It would also be nice if you had some help.

Keep me updated on the progress.

PS. The brake lines on the drivers side, one goes inside the spring and the other on the outside of the spring. There is a plastic clip that holds them together, remove it, spread the lines apart and insert the spring. Reinstall the clip.

Tim

Last edited by Chikenears; 04-06-2002 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Calling Chickenears