Lightning

SVT wants to know what you want next year and so on!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002 | 05:07 PM
Anyone that uses a LIGHTNING as a work truck does not deserve to have one
WHY?! Just because someone is, lets say a house painter who has always wanted an L buys one and uses it as his work truck and also enjoys it just as much as anyone else, they should be scrutinized? I am sorry, but I don't get it. It's the same mentality that you can't make a Civic into a 1/4 mile'r, just because I wouldn't do it doesn't mean it's completely stupid.

They are not construction grade vehicles!!
That they are not. But, They do have an awesome payload and can sure haul a whole lot of gravel or quite a bit of sheet rock home from Home depot.

Brett

Old 04-08-2002 | 05:28 PM
|
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to agree .My OPINION is that if you can afford a lightning,you should be able to afford a cheap P/U for your work needs.
Although I have not and will not use mine as a daily driver,I feel this is where they are most appriciated.

Old 04-08-2002 | 05:54 PM
Smile Value

In the year 2030 a pristine L with 60,000 miles on speedo will probably go for between $60-100,00. Then you will wish you treated it like a collector. Sure wish my Dad would have bought abought 10 or 15 Cobras back in the mid 60,s. Can you say filthy stinking rich, wich is what we would be today. Any auto with a build # of only 5 or 6,000 a year should be treasured and respected. Or is this just the opinion of an Idiot. PS: I could be a few bucks off on the resale value, don;t hold me to it, just my opinion.

Old 04-08-2002 | 06:06 PM
Re: Value

Originally posted by L iminator
In the year 2030 a pristine L with 60,000 miles on speedo will probably go for between $60-100,00. Then you will wish you treated it like a collector. Sure wish my Dad would have bought abought 10 or 15 Cobras back in the mid 60,s. Can you say filthy stinking rich, wich is what we would be today. Any auto with a build # of only 5 or 6,000 a year should be treasured and respected. Or is this just the opinion of an Idiot. PS: I could be a few bucks off on the resale value, don;t hold me to it, just my opinion.
Man I would love for my L to last that long!!!
Maybe its time to put it in storage!!

Old 04-08-2002 | 06:09 PM
Thumbs up

mines a work truck. i routinely delivery 1000lbs to customers. they actually load and unload "Wonderboy" with big dirty forklifts. this activity gives me the right to an almost free Lightning, thanks to the taxpayers of this wonderful country

Old 04-08-2002 | 06:10 PM
Tell the EPA to shove it right up their tight A$$.... thank you

Old 04-08-2002 | 06:30 PM
Originally posted by L iminator
In the year 2030 a pristine L with 60,000 miles on speedo will probably go for between $60-100,00.
Tell you what. I'm willing to sell you my STOCK (more rare) unmolested 20k mile '00 L right now for ONLY $40K!!!!!
Thats a $20-$60k savings for you

Old 04-08-2002 | 07:01 PM
Blocks

Redneck, Stick it up on blocks an I"ll call you in 28 years. LOL!!!

Old 04-08-2002 | 07:11 PM
KGM
Thumbs up Cleanest Work Truck Out There

I guess I missed investment 101 class, lets see, take a 30K truck and sock it away for 30yrs and make 30K. I guess that's good money if you would like to make 3.5% not counting the cost of storage space and insurance[you will need some] to keep it. On the work truck thing, it's the best one I've ever had! Get to write off EVERYTHING from gas to insurance to mods. Anything I carry is under the cover except on the rare occasion I have to haul a ladder and blow off a T/A doing it. Much fun

Old 04-08-2002 | 07:24 PM
changes

Interior- dual bucket seat with a center console. You can't fit 3 people in the front comfortably anyhow.

Exterior-a lightning specific hood is a good , no great idea. Keep the lenses and tails, I love em!!! Chrome wheels as an option. Paint options to include that new mineral grey on the hd f150's. That yellow on the boss f150's is also hightly recommended.

Performance/Drivetrain- 4 valve heads with more threads to hold the plugs in. Manley(or equivelent strength rods). A true 10lbs of boost stock. Less restrictive(but epa compliant)intake and exhaust.

Mounting a port on the dash for plugging and removing chips would be asking too much huh?

Old 04-08-2002 | 07:38 PM
Next L should come with the 5.4 engine, 4 valve head, aka Navigator heads, 500 hp & 500 ft lb tq.. Manley rods or better. Headers, electric fan. An automatic transmision capable of handling 650 hp just to be safe. 14 inch disc brakes, 4 piston, not Brembo, calipers that are FORD made, maybe license from Brembo. These brakes could be used in several hi perf Ford applications.

Using the Navigator heads, & same blower should keep the cost down and yield a substantial performace upgrade. I would also try and loose 400 pounds of weight. If SVT can pull off the above for say 35,000 these trucks will fly off the lot at perhaps 10,000 units plus per year.

I use my L as a work truck, sports car, and fun car. For me it is three cars/truck in one.

If you build it they will come. Lets go SVT!!!

Old 04-08-2002 | 08:08 PM
Light

I"ve seen the light. I"m gonna trash the crapp outa my L for now on. What the Hell, it"s just a regular OLE truck. By the way I"m in the market for a clean 51 chevy 5 window with no major cutting or V-8 swaps. Anyone seen one for under $10,000 lately? I wonder what they cost when they were new? 4 maybe 5,000. NOTTT!!!! If my memory serves me a 67 Cobra went for somewhere between $4,300 to $6,300. I really don"t remember. I know L"s just seem like any other fast truck (and then some) right now, but I think they will be very valuable some day. No flames intended. Please reply back with your thoughts. I have nothing but Love for fellow L owners, it"s your truck, do with it whatever you like. This is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. PS: My wife keeps buying that damn cheap *** TP. I need some Vasoline.

Old 04-08-2002 | 08:27 PM
BOW TO THE ALMIGHTY GOLDEN CALF F150!!

How many Mustangs/GTOs/Z28s/442s/'cudas/Chargers do you honestly think would be around today if only the "worthy" were allowed to buy them? The reason so many great muscle cars are around today for afficionados to enjoy is that the vast majority were bought by the unwashed masses.

I love driving my L. Its giving me some great memories.

p.s. It's just a truck.

Old 04-08-2002 | 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Lightningquick
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to agree .My OPINION is that if you can afford a lightning,you should be able to afford a cheap P/U for your work needs.
Although I have not and will not use mine as a daily driver,I feel this is where they are most appriciated.
Does this mean I "shouldn't" haul my dirt bike around in the bed? What about towing a lightweight bike trailer? Maybe I need to get a Harley supercrew instead...

Yeah, I know the bike's a play toy, not a work item, but still...it's something in the bed other than a sack of dog kibble! I agree that seeing a dented, dinged paint-splattered L would be tough to view. I hope it cleans up nice....

Old 04-08-2002 | 09:12 PM
I think that telling anyone who spent 30 large for a vehicle, that the way they are using it is wrong........ is a little elitist....... don't you think?

I personally would not put 20+" rims, wings and things on my L, does this mean that I think those that do are not deserving to own an L? I don't think so.

Some of us do not have the option to purchase multiple vehicles to accomplish our needs. Some of us are just happy that we can make the payments every month on our dream truck. Some of us are proud to haul 700-1000lbs in the bed, or tow 8000lbs (with a weight distribution hitch), with our sport truck. Some of us put a baby seat in the center seat, so we can go someplace with our family of 3.

So, before you pass judgement on how others use their vehicle, or spend their hard earned money....... don't.

PS. If you limit the usefulness of a vehicle, you eliminate a great deal of it's buying public. There is not a large percentage of the population that can afford to buy an expensive, useless toy.

PSS. If you keep your L for 30 years, rarely drive it, look at it in the garage, and are lucky enough to sell it for $100,000......... do you think you made more than the person who uses their truck everyday, enjoys the heck out of it everyday, and is only able to sell it for $60,000?????? If you think so, then you lead a very boring life. Buying modern vehicles on the premise that they will be worth a lot of money someday is silly. You get better odds, and returns on the stock market.

Do you think you struck a nerve?????

Quick Reply: SVT wants to know what you want next year and so on!!!!