Lightning

Anybody ever been to a driving school.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003 | 06:25 PM
Originally posted by alphadoggy
There are two problems with a school like Bonduran, imo. One is that they are very expensive, and the other is that you don't get to drive your own vehicle. I took the 2 day SVT school at California Speedway in March, and it was the most fun I've ever had in a vehicle. Toasting those Cobras on a road course in a pick-em-up was too cool for words. I got my competition license, which will allow me to run my truci on the road course in July. CSCC is putting on a two day solo2 driving school in May, and I definitely plan to attend. The SCCA runs regional schools at various tracks including Thunder Hill for very low cost and you get more track time than you would at Bondurant. Anyone who has not wrestled their Lightning around a road course is missing out on a lot of fun. Drag racing doesn't begin to compare.
To each his own I guess. I took a 4-day class at Bondurant a couple of years ago, and it's a top notch outfit. At many regional SCCA driving schools the instructors are volunteers, who have a decent amount of experience. I'm not knocking those folks by any stretch of the imagination, but I've done both and the level of instruction isn't the same, sorry. No, it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Regarding the cars, you CAN drive your own vehicle at Bondurant, but you have to pass their tech (daily). They do an 80 point daily on all cars in use (and weekly even if they don't).

Yes, they are currently phasing out the Ford products and are replacing them with Corvettes and Caddy CTS's. As far as I know you still get your SVT discount, but I would recommend calling to make sure.

BTW, Have you been to Bondurant? I had 5 hrs of daily track time (20 hrs in 4 days). That would be hard to match in just about all SCCA driving schools that run the 2, 3, 4 a day heats lasting 15-30 mins each.

No matter what you drive, the adrenaline rush is incredible! I was back out there for only a day back in November to buy one of their Mustangs, and I got to do some refresher laps to try the car out. Brought back a lot of memories, plus I was lucky enough to get a few laps w/Bob himself in a spanking new C5 just off the trailer. It don't get much better than that for a simple guy!

Old 01-26-2003 | 06:57 PM
Thumbs up

Definately go for it. I've gotten instruction from volunteers at a few HPDE events I've been to and its been great, next season I'll probably get over to some pro-instructor schools. It never hurts.

I'm hoping I can get my Lightning onto the skidpad this season at Pocono, it would be nice to know what it pulls lateraly these days.

Daniel

Old 01-26-2003 | 07:23 PM
Originally posted by thepawn

I'm hoping I can get my Lightning onto the skidpad this season at Pocono
Daniel

Old 01-26-2003 | 07:46 PM
You're coming from Florida to Ohio to take a driving scholl in January? Should be interesting, we had 6 inches of snow today.

G

Old 01-26-2003 | 07:58 PM
On Uncle Sam's Dime

Im in training at the Federal Law Enforcement training center, starting the driver training program. 4 hours' class time, then 16 hours in skid avoidance and emergency vehicle operation. Best Part... I'm getting paid to do this instead of the other way around.

Old 01-26-2003 | 08:04 PM
I started going to driving schools back in 1987, first with my 1986 Saab 9000 Turbo(4-dr. sedan), and then, with my 1991 Camaro Z281LE(6-point roll cage). Both were my daily driver's too.

I was so 'hard-core' that I had the AC removed from the Saab. Played with the turbo--looking for more boost and other mods--eng. and suspension. It fooled several Porshes on the tracks.

The Z281LE was set up for road coures. Corvette brakes, aluminum driveshaft, Optima battery in the rt. rear 1/4 panel, Bilstein shocks, no AC(from the factory), 5-speed, 310 ci(bored 0.30 over 305 ci) balanced-n-blueprinted EFI eng., chipped, under-drive pulleys, st/steel SLP exhaust--from the headers to the tips, BFG R1s(track only), Crane rockers, ported intake, BIG th/body, etc. It fooled a few Corvettes.

I only attended Porsche, Corvette, and BMW Club schools. This is lower cost way to 'race' on real road courses. They cost(back then) from $200-300(plus motel room, meals, gas, etc.) for two days of track time. When you start out, you are accompanied by an experienced club member as your instructor. I ran at Road Atlanta, Roebling Road(near Savannah), and Talledega Gran Prix course(not THE Talledega).

What Jay said..............

Dan

Old 01-26-2003 | 10:33 PM
Re: Anybody ever been to a driving school.

Originally posted by Bob Tompkins
...Anybody have any experiences they would like to share...
How about one from the passenger seat?

Don't scare the instructors.

Old 01-26-2003 | 11:03 PM
I did Racing Adventures Racing school in Calgary

Here are some pictures
http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/cal...es_calgary.htm

The AC Cobra replicas are fun cars. The Fly fishing in Calgary is pretty good too..

Have a Certificate for 10 laps in Nascar at TMS but havent found anyone to go with me yet... NOt much teaching gonna go on BUT it'll be fun.

Doug

Old 01-27-2003 | 01:20 AM
Bondurant is no longer offering the 20% SVT discount. Ford has
terminated its sponsorship of the program. Perhaps that's related to Bondurant's selling off all its Mustangs and going with GM cars.

Jeff

Old 01-27-2003 | 10:33 AM
I went to Skip Barber last year, definitely a great experience! even if i did have to drive those pos Dodges

Old 01-27-2003 | 10:46 AM
I have been through the Evolution phase I (twice) and phase II driving skills courses. They are geared primarily for solo II autocrossing, but definitely improve overall driving skills no matter what vehicle you are driving.

Old 01-27-2003 | 02:58 PM
Originally posted by 2Cool
I have been through the Evolution phase I (twice) and phase II driving skills courses. They are geared primarily for solo II autocrossing, but definitely improve overall driving skills no matter what vehicle you are driving.
Agreed! I felt those were good schools too. I did a Phase I and II last year and am signed up for a Phase I and III coming up in about 90 days--worth every penny in my book as it cut .5 seconds off my times...I'm hoping for 2+ seconds this year (most of it in the car vs. the truck).

Quick Reply: Anybody ever been to a driving school.