Lightning

question about oil breather cap

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002 | 07:42 PM
|
Question question about oil breather cap

I installed a JDM street chip and noticed an extra seat of the pants of power..About 2 weeks later i ordered an JDM oil breather cap. Well once i installed it and drove it the next day, i noticed a definite drop in my power. The truck didn't have as much pressure through acceleration and not as snappy..Then later that week at the track I noticed serious detonation at around 90mph..I have no pullies, just an Air raid enclosed cone system. I pulled the chip out and also the breather cap..I called JDM to ask them what would happen if i ran the cap without the chip and they said the truck would run too lean so i put the factory cap back on...Can anyone tell me why this might have happened?? Is this what happens if the chip is not programed for an oil breather cap?

Old 04-10-2002 | 07:44 PM
Yes, your truck was running too lean even though the chip was in because it was not programmed for it. Put the chip back in, and leave the breather out until you get the chip burned for the breather.

Old 04-10-2002 | 08:12 PM
If you have to have a chip to run the cap, then why was I able to run the cap without a chip and had no detonation??

Old 04-10-2002 | 08:31 PM
Breather Cap

I have a question also about the breather cap,does it only affect the air-fuel ratio or will it also throw a check engine light if not reburned properly? And does anyone know about how much it leans out on the air-fuel table?

Matt

Old 04-10-2002 | 09:18 PM
My tuners secatary said that I didn't need a reburn. I knew I had heard that chips needed to be burned for it. So I'm letting it ride for awhile. My first reburn was 10 bucks for taking my shift out and for something like that it would poss. be 50 bucks. Is this oil breather worth the trouble? Ask cause I don't know enough about it. Thanks!

Quick Reply: question about oil breather cap