Lightning

Propane Injection on the Lightning? What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002 | 01:18 AM
|
Propane Injection on the Lightning? What do you guys think?

Hey all, i've recently been using propane injection on my supra and have been very happy with it. A friend of mine originally came up with the idea when he was using propane and nitrous on his Viper...

The propane has a pretty high octane (R+M/2) of anywhere between 100 and 105 (some sites advertise as high as 140 motor rating), and it comes out pretty cold (45 below zero) which should help cool the intake charge, and for L owners like me (still on the crappy IC with leaks) this could help out alot, especially for back to back runs!

I have yet to put it on my L, but will definetly work on it very soon. My only concern is spraying the propane through the S/C, i have no idea what effects it might have... If people spray a wet shot tho, I doubt propane would be worse, in fact, should be much safer!

As far as what it has done on my supra, here's a rundown..

I ran an 11.6@126 previously in my supra at the track. I was maxing out the stock fuel system pretty hard core and running right on the edge of lean.... too lean for my blood actually... but what can you do when you got the speed bug and not enough money (is there ever enuf???)

Well, rather then spend $5k on a fuel system and fuel controller... we were thinking of ways to inject additional fuel reliably, and without spending a ton of money... We came up with propane ida. It also has the added benefit of allowing me to run 3 more pounds of boost on pump gas.... (i could probably go higher, but without a datalogger, im hesitant)

So, fastforward to my last outing at the track. With the propane injection, I was able to crank up the boost some more, and drop the EGT's by 40 degrees (celsius... Previous EGT's on the 11.6@126 run were at 880, after the propane, it was at 845 with higher boost!) I tried and tried all night to bust into the 10's but just couldnt do it... I made tons of passes (12) and netted a best time of 11.09@131.5 -- I was very happy! Not only was I running more boost and making more power then before, but the car was running safely rich... You cant beat it

I'm running the www.dynamicracing.com propane injection kit (http://www.dynamicracing.com/fc/main...pane+Injection) And will hopefully be testing it out on the L very soon...

What do you guys think, anything I should watch out for spraying it through the S/C? Anyone interested in giving this a shot on their L as well?

Old 04-12-2002 | 01:31 AM
i personally wouldnt do it to my truck. but on the other hand if i had a supra and ran it and felt confident i would do it. i dont know for sure but i dont think there would be any problem shooting the propane through the blower, should be fine. especially that it comes out in a vapor form.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 04-12-2002 | 01:35 AM
|
Originally posted by J15BIG
i personally wouldnt do it to my truck. but on the other hand if i had a supra and ran it and felt confident i would do it. i dont know for sure but i dont think there would be any problem shooting the propane through the blower, should be fine. especially that it comes out in a vapor form.

GOOD LUCK!!!
J15BIG,

It does come out in vapor form, so it doesnt have the problem that traditional fuels do with not being able to travel through an EFI manifold properly...

Im going to install it ASAP and i'll let everyone know how it works

(Now I still need to do the IC recall... been puttin that off)

Old 04-12-2002 | 01:36 AM
Originally posted by ekool

It does come out in vapor form, so it doesnt have the problem that traditional fuels do with not being able to travel through an EFI manifold properly...
yes i know...but werent you concerned about the blower rotors?

Old 04-12-2002 | 01:37 AM
|
Originally posted by J15BIG

yes i know...but werent you concerned about the blower rotors?
Concerned about everything But If people spray NOS and GAS through it.. this should be no problem.

Old 04-12-2002 | 01:41 AM
Go for it!

Old 04-12-2002 | 01:51 AM
You could read for days about propane injection over on ford-diesel.com. Guys use it all the time over there. There are tons of places to buy the kits also.

Roger

Old 04-12-2002 | 01:55 AM
|
Originally posted by z96Cobra
You could read for days about propane injection over on ford-diesel.com. Guys use it all the time over there. There are tons of places to buy the kits also.

Roger
Roger,

I've seen the diesel kits.. The kit Dynamic Sells is tailored almost exactly for what I am doing, and its cheaper the most of the diesel kits i've seen (which dont even come with tanks, usually)

Old 04-12-2002 | 02:19 AM
Hey man, the L pullin the Supra looks really good dude! Thumbs up.
-Ian

Old 04-12-2002 | 04:46 AM
Propane is usually only on diesel, don't know how good it is for our engines, but i know a few guys with propane diesels and they get a hell of alot better gas milage and lots more power.

also on the diesels its on at all times, the guys usually had to refill the propane tanks at every 3rd diesel fillup

Old 04-12-2002 | 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Probleminfected

also on the diesels its on at all times, the guys usually had to refill the propane tanks at every 3rd diesel fillup
i have always wondered why dont people leave nitrous on all the time. like a 5-10hp shot. it might not give much more power but it has to help with cooling. is there something wrong with doing that besides you going through nitrous tanks like Ls go through tires ?

Old 04-12-2002 | 11:46 AM
|
Just the cost would be my guess...

But propane is cheap as hell

Old 04-13-2002 | 02:28 PM
Question

Does anyone else have any thoughts sbout this?? Tuners?? Sounds interesting although I know nothing about it...

Quick Reply: Propane Injection on the Lightning? What do you guys think?