Lightning

Truth about mysterious JDM 166 Blower!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002 | 01:33 AM
|
Truth about mysterious JDM 166 Blower!

OK guys...heres a link to what Jim had to say about his blower. Please do not turn this into to an argument. I want everyone to read this so they know what going on. Again, please dont acuse anyone of anything or call anyone a liar. Just read what he has to say and dont say anything that will get this thred deleted. THANKS!

http://www.forums.svtperformance.com...5695#post95695

Old 04-12-2002 | 03:36 AM
I just want to see pics....

Old 04-12-2002 | 09:49 AM
Well, since this thread is probably going to get ugly anyway, I might as well get my post in now and get it overwith.

First of all, let me clear a few things up about what Jim said about the blower WE are selling.

It is NOT a side inlet like the 03 Cobra, it is a REAR inlet just like we have been saying all along. If you don't believe us, just as any of the people who saw it at Ga NMRA. It does not have a special coating. We might have the new coating on the production units, but right now ours has the same coating as the production Lightning blower. As for the comment about the displacement, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. The displacement of an air pump (engine, blower) is based on the rotating part vs the case it's in. The top inlet Eaton has less surface area because 1- the top inlet takes away from rotor side to case contact area, and 2- on the underside of the blower are 4 vent slots, that are used on production blowers to reduce whine. Since you don't have the full size of the case compressing the air, you don't have a true 112 inches. It's like if you had an engine and cut 1" off the deck height of the block, now you'd have a smaller displacement. Also, the top inlet design causes the entering air to "paddle" at the rotors, and what this does is make the stock unit much less efficient.

Now, concerning this M166 thing. This blower has been talked about for over 2 years. And every time the subject comes up, I call Eaton to get the scoop on it. Well, I called once AGAIN yesterday, and once AGAIN I was told "there is no M166, and we are not going be producing an M166." There are only 5 people that work the supercharger division at Eaton, and this guy asked all of them while I was on the phone, and they all confirmed there is no M166. All people want is a picture. Jim's had this blower for two years, and can't take 10 seconds to snap a photo of it for inquiring customers?

It takes hundreds of thousands of dollars for Eaton to make a "new" blower. Why on earth would they go through the trouble of making an M166 for a vehicle that is in limited production like the Lightning, which already comes with one of thier blowers. As a matter of fact, Eaton is getting out of building the larger blowers, and getting into the small blower market. They just opened two new plants to build the M16 and the M24.

Also, Eaton does NOT build blowers for aftermarket applications. There is no such thing as a "generic" Eaton blower. They are all vehicle specific. Magnuson is who makes aftermarket Eaton based blowers using Eaton rotor packs and Magnuson cases. And Magnuson also says there is no such thing as an M166.

For those of you who have been on this board for a while, you may remember late last summer when I posted that we were going to have a new blower kit coming out, that the debate between ours and the M166 happened back then as well. JDM claimed thier blower would be out in a few weeks (last summer). I ended that debate with "ok, let's just wait a few weeks and see if it comes out". Now it's over a half year later.

Think what you like, I have no problem with anyone who wants to wait for this M166. It's your chioce to make.

Old 04-12-2002 | 10:20 AM
I can't get the thread to work first off.

Also, I just want to see a picture of the M166 and then I'll believe it guys. Is that to difficult to do? We've seen sal's blower.

Hey sal, since you where running a 150+ shot of juice with the old blower and with this new unit you reduced your juice to 100. does that mean we are going to pick up about 50hp?

Old 04-12-2002 | 10:38 AM
What does everyone have to say about Don's Bolt having JDM's M166 on his truck...if there isn't one then why does he have one on his truck??? Yes its a proto-type, but I thought the M166 didn't exsist???

In no way do I want to bash either tuner here, cause as everyone can see in my "updated" sig, I do business with both of them!!! At times both of them have dissapointed me and also at times made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

My reasoning for "waiting" or as Sal would have it " holding my breath" , is that I'm not in a big hurry to get a bigger blower on my truck, but when I do lay down the Dead Presidents...its gonna be for a blower bigger than a 112...And if it never comes...I guess I'll have to order bigger jets from NX for my N2O system...

One thing that Jim mentioned to me on the phone Tuesday was that the "Rotor Packs" from the new Cobra blowers will make 2 more # of boost, and that would be something for "some" of us to look at, but as for me, I don't think so...I don't even have a 6# lower on my truck yet, H*LL I don't even have my NX system hooked up yet...But like I said, when I do it, I'm gonna do it BIG!!!

Whether it be PSP or JDM, Its gonna be " THE TUNER WHO MAKES MY TRUCK THE FASTEST "...If someone nobody ever heard of could make my truck faster than these two tuners, then
"MR. X" would get my business...And right now JDM has taken over that job!!!

Its every tuner's living to be better than the next guy...And I don't wanna hear them "Talk about being better" , I want them to prove it to me!!!!!!!

Chikin@Charter.net
---------------------------
Black '01
Born on 5-3-01
#3603 of 6381
Sean Hyland 2# Upper Pulley
JL 3# Lower
JDM Cold Air
JDM Boost Bypass
JDM/Accufab Throttle Body
JDM Longtubes w/ Silver-Bullet cat-back
JDM Cobra R pump
My Eletric Fan w/Help of JDM
PSP 4-Way Autologic Chip ( Tow, Street,Track, N20 )
PSP FactoryTech Valvebody
PSP Deep Tranny Pan
PSP DriveShaftLoop
PSP Truck-Traks
PSP Nitrous Plate
Nitrous Express 50-150 Kit ( Can’t decide which jets to use )
NGK / BR7 spark plugs .036gap
Hoosier DOT’s 28 x 10 x 16

Old 04-12-2002 | 10:53 AM
Chickn

I have the same rotors as the 03 cobra in my blower and I didn't see any 2lb increase in boost. sorry.

Old 04-12-2002 | 11:00 AM
RTKILLA: Then why are you running the Cobra Rotor packs???

Chikin@Charter.net
Black '01
Born on 5-3-01
#3603 of 6381
JL 3# Lower
JDM Cold Air
JDM Boost Bypass
JDM Cobra R pump
PSP Deep Tranny Pan
PSP DriveShaftLoop
PSP Truck-Traks
PSP Nitrous Plate

Old 04-12-2002 | 11:11 AM
Chikn1 -- Don's truck dosn't have an engine in it at the moment, unless it got put in this week. I was at JDM...saw the engine on the engine rack...Its really nice, the upgraded rods and all looked beautiful...but it didn't have any blower on it, 112, 166 or otherwise. :-D This course might have changed this week (mon-thurs) as I know Jim wanted to get it out the door before he went to race next week.

The power-adder kits I know of coming out or are available:
JLP - KB-Blowzilla
JDM - M166 upgrade
PSP - M112 rear-port upgrade
SilverState - Turbo upgrade
SHM - 32V head upgrade.

Then there are the renegade one-ofs... RacerX with BABolt and the soon-to-be-infamous Twin T's...

Daniel

Last edited by thepawn; 04-12-2002 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-12-2002 | 11:14 AM
Originally posted by CHIKIN1
RTKILLA: Then why are you running the Cobra Rotor packs???

I am pretty sure that he got them when he had his blower rebuilt... I think it was more of a PM thing than needed....

A SIMPLE PIC COULD CLEAR UP ALOT!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2002 | 11:17 AM
Patience will reveal all, no if we could just speed up the process.

And guys don't rush the tuners on these blowers, like Jim said it in the linked above post, this will take many hours to get everything right before it goes to the public. And that applies to all tuners. We don't need a surge of engines blowing up b/c of larger blowers and a few missed paramaters on the chip.

Old 04-12-2002 | 11:22 AM
PAWN: Who said I was waving the BS flag...It you'll read Sal's post...He is waving a BS flag all over the place and I guess he has a right to since he's been hearing about the 166 for a year or two as he states...Here's some BS for you: " Pawn's truck is fast"LOL I waiting on the 166 and if it doesn't come then I won't be buying a "Rear entry 112", or a Kenne Bell...I also want something that looks "STOCK"

Chikin@Charter.net
Black '01
Born on 5-3-01
#3603 of 6381
JL 3# Lower
JDM Cold Air
JDM Boost Bypass
JDM Cobra R pump
PSP Deep Tranny Pan
PSP DriveShaftLoop
PSP Truck-Traks
PSP Nitrous Plate

Old 04-12-2002 | 11:24 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CHIKIN1
[B]RTKILLA: Then why are you running the Cobra Rotor packs???

[QUOTE]

take off your stock blower and look at off much of the plastic coating is coming off it and tell me you wouldn't like to upgrade it to a new design that has better rotors that won't flake off and clog up your intercooler.

Old 04-12-2002 | 11:28 AM
I had it off about a month ago and seen no problem...But I'll check again!!!

Chikin@Charter.net
Black '01
Born on 5-3-01
#3603 of 6381
JL 3# Lower
JDM Cold Air
JDM Boost Bypass
JDM Cobra R pump
PSP Deep Tranny Pan
PSP DriveShaftLoop
PSP Truck-Traks
PSP Nitrous Plate

Old 04-12-2002 | 11:29 AM
Chikin1 -- What the heck kind of comment was that? I could are less if your truck is faster then mine off the straight line, when we get to the end of the road, I'm the one that can turn. :P There is no need for personal jabs, my post didn't include any.

I highly doubt the M166 will "look stock"...like I said in my post, its your porogative to buy whatever you want.

Daniel

Last edited by thepawn; 04-12-2002 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-12-2002 | 11:36 AM
HEHEHE...I knew that would get you going...LOL... yes sometimes I am juvenile...I was just wondering why you said I was waving a BS flag...No BS flag here...My point is "I WANT A BIGGER BLOWER THAN A 112 FOR THE $$$" that apears more stock than the Kenne Bell or Sal's 112...Nothing more nothing less!!!

Chikin@Charter.net
Black '01
Born on 5-3-01
#3603 of 6381
JL 3# Lower
JDM Cold Air
JDM Boost Bypass
JDM Cobra R pump
PSP Deep Tranny Pan
PSP DriveShaftLoop
PSP Truck-Traks
PSP Nitrous Plate

Quick Reply: Truth about mysterious JDM 166 Blower!