Lightning

anybody "manually" shift while dragging?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002 | 05:44 PM
|
anybody "manually" shift while dragging?

Has anyone gone thru 1st, 2nd, 3rd while at the strip? I was going to try it, thought I'd see if it's worthwhile here first.

Old 04-12-2002 | 06:11 PM
I do. But ONLY at the track.

It's a contravercial topic, though.

Most people will tell you 'the transmission is alot smarter than you, so let it shift itself.- blah-blah-blah-' but until you get the factory tech valve body. . .you risk the dreaded premature upshift syndrome if you leave it up to the computer.

Maybe your L doesn't prematurely upshift, but mine does (approximately 4,000 RPM at WOT sometimes).

Bottom line- unless you feel REALLY comfortable shifting your L, I would say turn OD off and let it shift itself.

Hope this helps,

Old 04-12-2002 | 06:18 PM
|
Wrongday,

Yeah, I had thought also about the tranny's lag time in upshifting in both modes... I'm gonna try out the manual mode, then install the Factory Tech valve body this weekend and try both modes again. With all the years I have shifting motorcycles, it's natural for me to manually shift. I DO think I need to dyno and see where I top out in power, RPM-wise, and shift and tune for just below that.
thanks.

Old 04-12-2002 | 06:50 PM
Thumbs up

Now you're talking!!!

Old 04-12-2002 | 10:25 PM
The computer is smarter and more consistant than I am. I let it do it's thing.

Old 04-13-2002 | 06:56 AM
I have FT's modulator valve and at WOT, it shifts consistent and fast. Tried manually shifting afew times. The lag time is still there even with FT's mod. I've run up against the rev limiter too many times!
I lock out O/D but on the few runs I've forgot to, the truck doesn't get into O/D in the 1/4 anyway.
Keep us posted on where you shift at and how it works for ya.

Old 04-13-2002 | 08:41 AM
Every down side that you guys are bringing up can be tuned out by your tuner. He can turn off the rev limmiter, turn off the OD, turn off the torque reduction. You can unplug or bypass the boost control. I would never considder controling the spark advance or fuel mixtures with ***** as you drove down the track if it was possible? Bottom line is find a tuner you like and let him and Ford do their job. I just drive.

PS even my 800 lb race car has and automatic.

Quick Reply: anybody "manually" shift while dragging?