Lightning

I think it's about time to retire

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002 | 07:58 PM
|
Arrow I think it's about time to retire

Well I've been on this forum now for over a year and a half. I've been modifying my truck since I bought her for $28K in December of 2000, and now I think that it is about time that I call it quits for Sarha's need for speed. Since my first track run about 6 months ago I have made over 150passes at the Speedworld Track. To date my best has only been a 13.55 @ 102.2 and a .506 R/T on .5 tree. I have a few more things to put on my baby, i.e. the 90mm, chip (once reburned to fix the mess up), and N20 to work properly I hope that I can get down into the 12 second club before I call it quits for good. I will still race on occation but only when I feel like I need to take the edge off driving for a little while. But the expenses of making my baby go just that little bit faster have come to a point of little pleasure. Now I run an est 510 HP and there is little more that I can do to my truck that is worth the cash. I never really liked cars and trucks until I got my L. Even then I never really LOVED my L until I started reading these posts from all of you. I have learned that the racing world is HARDLY filled with the sterotypical "gear heads" that have gas for a brain and rubber for a heart. Everyone is a kind soul with an aggretion for motors. All of you have been supportive and usually give me your honest ".02 cents" and that has really made a difference for me. All of.... ok most of (you all know who I'm talking about ) the Lightning owners in AZ are some of the kindest people I know. All of the AZ Lightning owners I've met have been nothing but kind and respectful to me. Which in this day in age is hard to find from a total stranger. So thank you very very much to all the AZ L owners.

Im only a first year college student looking to get my degree in aerospace engineering and as of now the "animated characters" job is not paying well enough to stay ontop of my truck parts. I am having to pay for my own housing soon, because "It's just that next set in life for me." Out of the dorm and into an appartment for me (thank god because I HATE my room mate).

Im not going to give up on building things, heck hopefully that's going to be my job not too far off, so I'm going to have to move onto the R/C world. I'm planning on getting back into airplanes (my true passion). Ill still check in to see the new times and new inventions. Thank you all my time here has been great. Ill make sure to post when I break 12sec. Once my N20 is finnished. Also Ill try to make a gas powered R/C L... that electric one is just insulting

Good bye everyone and Thank you for your many words of wisdom,

Mark Sipperley

Sarha says byebye too

If anyone wants to get in contact with me mlsgoalie@hotmail.com

Old 04-13-2002 | 03:16 AM
Sorry to hear that you are going.

Old 04-13-2002 | 04:19 AM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Don't retire...

Just put it on the back burner for a while.

Thats what I did, and I still love the truck. I just cannot keep up, partially because I am working for $0. Lets just say that what I am doing right now is arguably the most productive thing I have ever done, personally. The contacts that I am making (and already have) at my current internship and the people skills I am developing are turning into qualities that I know will get where I want to be in the future.

I learned to put the passion I had for the truck into working towards my future. You can't change the past. Just look ahead. No one knows one's own business better than himself they say.

Good luck.

Old 04-13-2002 | 04:40 AM
|
Well I can now say that I've found the wings that will carry me into this CHEAP AS HELL HOBBIE!!! Compared to our trucks this thing is almost a joke

Here's the trainner plane I'm going to buy for $49

The DuraPlane 111. I am planning on crashing this thing many times... And the best part is that it will only cost me $49 to completly replace.

And here's the engine I'm going to buy. It's not the 400HP+ that we're used to but ill manage

She's not as good as our tritons but she has 1BHP @ 16,000 rpm. Im going to see if I can turbo charge this little baby Or at least ram-air it. She'll run you about $53.

So that means that if i were to take my plane up up in the sky and then make it nose dive into the asphalt that we drive on... it would cost me >$100 to make a brand new plane.

Ill have it take off from the bed or something

Old 04-13-2002 | 04:47 AM
spade,
hate to see you go....

you sure about those prices though?
that seems pretty cheap for a plane and an os engine...my little .15 os was 180. thats a freakin .40, outta run you at least 200. maybe your gettin good prices though. im on my second nitro car...went from onroad to offroad and lovin it. anyway goodluck with whatever you do.

Old 04-13-2002 | 06:06 AM
|
www2.towerhobbie.com is where I'm ordering it all from. Haven't tossed out the card yet. So if they are dirty please let me know

Old 04-13-2002 | 06:27 AM
You do mean http://www.towerhobbies.com right?

guess your right, the starter kit is only 50 and the engine is only 55. that is cheap. but here is what else you need

REQUIRES: .40-.46 sized (2-cycle) engine[you already got that coverd] and 4-channel radio w/four servos, prop, wheels, wheel collars, foam rubber, rubber bands, nylon strapping tape, fuel tank, spinner, low-heat covering, building and field equipment.

towerhobbies is one of the biggest hobby sites that i know of, you cant go wrong with them. is this your fisrt plane? i have never flown RC but really want to. anyways good luck and have fun. try not to crash too much

Old 04-13-2002 | 06:36 AM
|
I had a little twin electric 2/ch flyer when i was 8 or so. But that was about it. SO pretty much my first plane. Thanks for the list. I think they sell the whole package deals. Is a .40 big? I just picked the smallest plane that had full control (4ch) and went with the cheapest of all those (almost ) Im going to see if i can ramair that engine, change the head gasket for higher compression, or maybe just turbo it with something home built. Perhaps try a little nitrous on it

Last edited by Spade$; 04-13-2002 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2002 | 06:46 AM
hahaha, nitrous, good luck....that would be cool if it wouldnt blow the engine up. i dont know that it would for sure but with all the money you will spend on trying to fab a kit yous should just buy a better engine

.40 is not big when it comes to planes and choppers and even boats but for a car, truck, or buggy that is insane. but on the ohter hand you said the .40 you are getting only produced about 1hp? my little .15 has about 1.2 hp. as for your ram air idea i dont know if that would really work but hey, try it and see what happens. no matter what you get you will be happy.

i dont know if this is the same for planes as it is for cars but you will soon find out that in the RC world its not about power as much as its about having parts that dont break when you crash.

Old 04-13-2002 | 06:57 AM
|
here's my proposed new engine.... the O.S. .40ci S/C K&N filtered ported pendelum intake engine........ drum roll...

Maybe JDM will make me a new lower pulley

Old 04-13-2002 | 07:11 AM
hahaha thats hilarious
wonder how that little blower would sound.
weeeeeeeeeeeee
hahahhahaha

Old 04-13-2002 | 07:29 PM
Hey Spade$ - don't be so down on electrics. Some of the 20 cell models with brushless motors can embarass slimers. And you don't have to clean up the nasty slime after the model spooges all over itself in its noisy flight. Electrics can be cool too. You just need to kick it up a notch.

If *I* was back in college working on an aerospace engineering degree, my career-oriented hobby (other than trying to marry money ) would be RC TURBINES. Now THAT is cool!! Have you seen some of those bad boys?? A 40lb model on the sticks at 150mph 15ft off the deck! THAT'S BAD!! I want one soooo bad. "Shhhwwrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekk!!!!"

Anyway, study hard and make it count. It'll be worth it in 10 years. Engineers never starve.

Old 04-13-2002 | 08:32 PM
dont be so sure about R/C's being a "cheaper" hobbie! my nitro RS4 is already in to me for over $2500.00. ive had it clocked at 67mph! keep in mind, every time u run an R/C, expect to spend $50 on repairs. thats about the average i see and ive been into these "toys" for 6 years.

mods:
pico trinity 1.17 hp .15 motor (w/o pull starter)
pico header
pico exhaust
countersunk chassis
hi-po shocks
carbon fiber shock towers
2 speed tranny
full ball bearing kit
composite disc brake
universal dog bones (front & rear)
carbon fiber upper deck
audi TT , lightning and acura NSX bodies

almost as big as a head turner as the real L!!

Old 04-13-2002 | 09:57 PM
|
snoopy, I've been reading about the inlet turbines for years now. Im going to work my way up to that. It would cost me about $700-$800 to build my own. So that might be down the line. I might be able to write it off as a project for school and have them pick up the tap

Fast, $50 a run? Damn what kind of R/C are you into? Destruction derbie? Or do you just a really bad case of road rage that you like to let out on "the track."

also take a pic of your car with the L body on and off. I want to see $2500 of R/C model

Old 04-13-2002 | 09:59 PM
Spades

You have mail.

Quick Reply: I think it's about time to retire