Lightning

Need help from those with drop springs..bumpstop issue!! (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002 | 08:49 PM
|
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
EIBACH USERS DONT GO FLIPPIN YOUR SPRINGS JUST YET!!

During a conversation with and according to the Eibach Tech, the springs are supposed to be installed with the writing right side up.

WELLLLL, upon closer inspection, the writing WAS installed right side up but this puts the close coils AT THE TOP.

DAMN!!!!!!!

just missed them leaving for the day to inquire WTF CHUCK?!?!?!

Therefore, they'll get a call first thing tomorrow.

at least the truck wasn't torn down.

>>off to trim the bump stops and measure true drop.

ARGH

Old 04-15-2002 | 09:26 PM
Well,... if my springs are upside down, they sure handle good for being installed upside down.

Old 04-15-2002 | 09:31 PM
Re: UPDATE

Originally posted by Speedin Bob
update:

Talked to Eibach Tech Support and obtaining the design spring rate force vs. delfection data was inaccessible/unavailable to Tech Support and John Q Public...
Here's a question, not directed at you specifically, but anyone who buy's this stuff:
How do you (or their techies) know that the springs are better than the stock Lightning springs? What if the spring rate over the range of deflection is less than the stockers?

Just wondering...

If it was me, I'd bug them until I got an answer.

Spike

Old 04-16-2002 | 01:30 AM
Upsidedown?

Weird, mine are upside down too. I dont get it, somone please explain. I took my stock ones out and put them side by side. One end of my stock ones was flat which had the rubber boot on it and was at the top. The other end was uneven and made the spring lean when rested on it, this end was down in my stock setup. I just copied that since the eibach had the same characteristics. Are we sure ours are upside down?

BTW, i cut about an inch off of my bump stops (which is almost as effective as removing them) and my control arms still rest on them! AHHHHH!! NOT GOOD. Whats going on?

Last edited by dtdionne; 04-16-2002 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-16-2002 | 07:54 AM
Figures I'd find this out after having dropped my truck off for an alignment. Anyone know what the affects will be with leaving the springs in the wrong way? So far the little driving I did with it, I like the feel, plus the new stance.

Bob

Old 04-16-2002 | 07:56 AM
I cut my bump stops down to maybe 3/8 of an inch showing past the cup, and I have about 1 inch clearance. I used the belltech springs to get a 2 inch drop.

Old 04-16-2002 | 08:58 AM
What is going on??????????????

Ok, Well I'm starting to get slightly annoyed . I bought these springs from a "Lightning Vendor" who advertised them as 1" drop. When they went a little past I didn't mind.

Now you guys are saying even with 1" cut off the bump stops you are still hitting them??

Any one with the 99' - 00' bump stops address this issue yet? My 00' look a little different. They are black, shorter, and more rectangular.

I like the raked look, but I don't want the front end scraping the ground and the *** in the air.

P.S..... I called Roush on their bump stops. $40 bucs, but the guy said that if I'm already riding on the bump stops theirs might not help. He recommended just cutting the stockers.

Last edited by Onelfastlride; 04-16-2002 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-16-2002 | 09:11 AM
|
Arrow

Cutting almost an inch off the bumpstop by splitting the extended area just under the mounting point (see photo in first post) left approx 1/2" of clearance between the 'stop and the A-Arm.

Bob

Last edited by Speedin Bob; 04-16-2002 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2002 | 09:46 AM
Same for me with trimming the bumpstops.

Bob

Old 04-16-2002 | 01:33 PM
|
Arrow clarification...

After a lengthy and pointed discussion with Eibach Tech Support (nice guy btw), the spings are to be installed in the following manner:

closer coils at the TOP, writing-side-up, decreasing radius coil at the BOTTOM.

verified the kit number, application, and asked him to pull up a pic and describe the spring so we were both on the same page.

sorry for the misinformation earlier.

>>off to the alignment shop tomorrow morning

Bob

Old 04-16-2002 | 01:47 PM
Bob, did you talk to DC @ Eibach? I just talked to him about 20 mins ago. I'm confused now as he told me the tighter coils should be at the bottom.

Mines at the shop right now getting aligned. I"m going to keep it that way and see how things go. If I don't like it, I can always switch them around.

Bob

Old 04-16-2002 | 02:04 PM
Just a thought......by lowering you are compressing the stock shock some. Then by cutting the bump stop are you creating a condition where the shock will be fully compressed before hitting the bump stop? In other words does the shock become the "bump stop" and could bottoming out the shocks cause problems?

Just a thought as I get ready to put on my hotchkis springs Thursday.

Old 04-16-2002 | 02:24 PM
NeedFourSpeed - the hotchkis springs are stiffer then stock, and don't lower the truck as much as Eibachs or Belltech do. So with the bumpstops that come with the hotchkis kit you shouldn't have to worry about hitting them.

Old 04-16-2002 | 02:26 PM
Well, with my trimmed bump stops, I have about 3/4"-1" clearance. Not a lot, but I don't believe stock clearance is a considerable amount more. I think the spring still has more travel than that.

Bob

Old 04-16-2002 | 02:32 PM
|
Bob,

yep, talked to him, twice.

so we're talking apples and apples,

on one end of the spring, the circumference of the coil decreases. This is what I and DC referred as the 'tighter coils'

on the other end, the distance between the coils decreases. this is what is being referred to as 'closer coils'

Therefore, tighter coils on the bottom, closer coils on top

Did he tell you different?

Bob

Quick Reply: Need help from those with drop springs..bumpstop issue!! (pic)