Lightning

Need help from those with drop springs..bumpstop issue!! (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002 | 02:45 PM
I didn't have any of these problems you guys are with My Belltech Kit. I think it handles and rides like a dream as well,

Old 04-16-2002 | 02:50 PM
captainoblivious

I got some black rectangular bumpstops from hotchkis. Are these for the front? I haven't opened the box for with my rear springs. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the aforementioned bump stops were for the rear.

Old 04-16-2002 | 03:18 PM
Bob, looks like I have mine in correct then. I guess it was just a misunderstanding of the terms "tighter" and "closer". Thanks for clearing it up. I'm off to pick up my truck in about 20 mins. Can't wait.

Bob

PS. After cutting the bumpstops, mine measured in at 30 1/2 from the ground to the lip of the fender. So it went down another 1/8 inch after the trim.

Old 04-16-2002 | 03:23 PM
So-Cal Drop

http://www.so-calspeedshop.com/index2.html

Ok,

From what I can tell we are basically doing what the So-Cal kit does. They sell the Eibachs with the kit and claim 1.75" front drop. They also replace the bump stops with Energy Suspension bump stops which I believe can be had from Jegs for $8.99 so FORGET roush. Have the new bump stops on order.

Looks like I'm droppin the rear now some more. I was thinking Hotchkis 2" drop leaf springs with the 2" shackles. Anyone know how payload is affected? Or is it better to go with the hangers? I'll basically have the So-Cal kit minus the extra leaf spring if I do the hangers.

Old 04-16-2002 | 03:30 PM
|
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
onefast,

what is the Jeg's part number for the Energy Suspension bumpstops?

let us not forget the end links too.

Old 04-16-2002 | 03:33 PM
Originally posted by NeedFourSpeed
Just a thought......by lowering you are compressing the stock shock some. Then by cutting the bump stop are you creating a condition where the shock will be fully compressed before hitting the bump stop? In other words does the shock become the "bump stop" and could bottoming out the shocks cause problems?

Just a thought as I get ready to put on my hotchkis springs Thursday.
It's easy to check. Pull off the shock and measure the actual shock length with the fully compressed. Compare that to the actual compressed length of the suspension.

BUT, the shock won't be operating in it's optimum range and the moving mass/springs will overpower them, so considering them deadweight.

Spike

Old 04-16-2002 | 03:37 PM
Re: So-Cal Drop

Originally posted by Onelfastlride
...was thinking Hotchkis 2" drop leaf springs with the 2" shackles. Anyone know how payload is affected? Or is it better to go with the hangers? I'll basically have the So-Cal kit minus the extra leaf spring if I do the hangers.
All the "kits" result in a reduction of the payload capacity (not towing capacity) because of the reduced suspension travel. In other words, you'll bottom out quicker.

Spike

Old 04-16-2002 | 03:50 PM
Question Speedin Bob / Spike Engineering

Speedin

The Jegs part # is 355-9-9102G , description....11/16" Tall, 2" Dia., 2/pkg. I'm not certain this is the same as in the So-Cal kit, but from the picture, and searching I'd bet it is. I'll soon find out.

Oh, and I have short End Links!! Don't forget I'm running Hotchkis Sway Bar kit for a Lowered L w/ that comes shorter end links.

Spike or ANYONE

What is best to lower the rear now besides the shackles I have???

Old 04-16-2002 | 03:53 PM
|
WTF CHUCK!!!!! (not you LTNBOLT)

in browsing the So-Cal Speedshop installation of the kit, they installed the closer coiled end DOWN.

Here is a pic of what we're meaning:

'closer coils' on the left, tighter coils on the right

WHAT THE *****!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2002 | 04:01 PM
Bob why don't you

Just give old So-Cal a call for us...

I'm trusting So-Cal, they been around for a little bit now I think?

Old 04-16-2002 | 04:06 PM
NeedFourSpeed - yep I got those same with the front springs also. I'll take a picture of it either later tonight or tomorrow and put up for you to how close it is.

About the Roush bumpstops, they are small little rectangles of rubber with a metal plate and bolt on the top. If Dan (thepawn) reads this maybe he will post a picture of them for everyone to see.

Bob - at this point I would just leave the coils the way they are, you may give yourself a serious headache trying to figure it out.

Old 04-16-2002 | 05:10 PM
|
Exclamation just when I was ready to say ***** it....

onefast, chainsaw, and all

Talked to So-Cal Speedshop. They offered and called Eibach (non-tech support) to verify how these are to be installed and followed up with me within 20 minutes... OUTSTANDING!!!

They stated prior to calling Eibach the closer coils are to be on the BOTTOM and they have done almost 30 installs this very way.

During our clarification phone call, it seems the F150 application differs from the norm. Good for So-Cal since they have done quite a few, good for us to FINALLY get the skinny on how they are to be installed.

obtw, So-Cal has some other suspension goodies in the works.

Bob

Old 04-16-2002 | 06:15 PM
Question QA-1 adjustment?

Bob---with coils so tight on the bottom how can QA-1 shocks be easily adjusted?--what about spring spacers(1"--3/4")?--we are going to get into major bump-steer issues(i believe 1" is the most amount of front drop you want on these trucks if you want to retain good handling.[imo])-------Rob

Old 04-16-2002 | 06:35 PM
Best drop system for rear: Either springs or sliders with a drop. Drop shackles allow more rear-end slop than the stock system.

Front bump steer: This is a problem with any drop. It just get worse the lower you go. 1" to 1.5" drop is the recommended max.l to avoid excessive bump steer.

The QA1's are adjusted from underneath the control arm thus springs don't matter.

Last edited by Spike Engineering; 04-16-2002 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2002 | 07:09 PM
NeedFourSpeed -

click here for a pic of the bump stops: http://captainoblivious.tripod.com/t...uspension.html

Quick Reply: Need help from those with drop springs..bumpstop issue!! (pic)