Lightning

Need help from those with drop springs..bumpstop issue!! (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002 | 07:19 PM
So am I to take it that after my original call to Eibach (two months ago) prior to installing my springs I was given bum info. I was also told that the springs go in so the writing on them is right-side up - which places the 'closer' coils on the top. Darn those guys! Any reason why I need to spend an hour or so flipping my coils so they are now installed the correct way ('closer' coils at the bottom) in the next day or two?

Thanks,

Dan

Old 04-16-2002 | 08:24 PM
DAMN

Well, my coils appear to be touching, i appear to still be sitting on my bumpstops that have been trimmed about 3/4" and my truck is sitting at like 29.8"!!!! Anyone know whats going on?

Old 04-16-2002 | 10:30 PM
ttt, im really worried i either have the wrong springs or bad springs.

Anyone else having similar prob as mine stated in the post above?

Old 04-16-2002 | 10:46 PM
IMO, I don't see why it would make a difference if the spring is installed one way or another. Either way, the same amount of force is transmitted to the spring and the "closer coils" compresses first. I compared both ends of the Eibach spring and they appears to be identical (pigtails and diameter appears to be the same). So I flipped a coin and installed them the same way so-cal does theirs.

Just looked at the bump stops and there is a slight gap between the stops and the control arms. BTW, only about 1/3 of the coils are touching each other in my case...

Old 04-16-2002 | 11:30 PM
struck by, did you cut your bumpstops? How much of a drop did you get? and what is your fender to ground measurement now?

My stock height was 32.5 and it is now 29.75!! Too low for me, and im sitting on my .75" cut bumpstops.

Last edited by dtdionne; 04-16-2002 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2002 | 11:45 PM
It measured 30" from the fender to the ground, or 17" from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender.

I have the square/black OEM bumpstops and I haven't touch them. There is at most an 1/8" gap between the control arms and the bump stops as it sits so I think I will be getting some shorter ones. OTOH, the stock rubber bump stops are much softer than poly ones and possibly gives as much as 1/2" under compression...

I've driven the truck for a couple thousand miles since the springs went on, and I only remember feeling the truck hits the bump stops a couple of times.

Old 04-17-2002 | 05:59 PM
OPTIONAL EIBACH SPRING

Just got off the phone with Dwaine @Eibach Tech------He said the following; (1)was surprised these trucks were being lowered 2" ----(2)said p/n 3576.520 should lower a stock F-150 2" and a Lightning 1"-----(3) said p/n 3575.520 should lower a stock F-150 1.3" with the same spring rate------(4) said tight coils belong on the bottom like So.Cal said ( last time Eibach Tech says #s give position --now apparently not true).----------SO---I ordered a set of p/n 3575.520 (Tire Rack--$155.00) and will post with results!! Rob

Old 04-17-2002 | 07:07 PM
reread the above post. sorry

Old 04-17-2002 | 07:26 PM
Interesting

Well i got my springs from JDM and they didnt include a part number. Is there a way for me to tell what part number my springs are? Im almost sure they are wrong especially considering Eibach was surprised that people were getting 2" of drop. My truck is down about 2.5" which is too low for me...heck the friggin coils are touching!

Old 04-17-2002 | 08:12 PM
SPRING ISOLATORS ?

Guys, Just got off the phone with ENERGY SUSPENSIONS---They make poly/graphite spring isolators (among other things) and are coming out with an extensive line in late spring/early summer INCLUDING A 1" SPACER/ISOLATOR which may be a perfect fix.(might be able to sneak them in with a spring compressor without taking everything apart). Hang in there!! Rob

Old 04-17-2002 | 08:57 PM
Re: SPRING ISOLATORS ?

Originally posted by ROBM
...A 1" SPACER/ISOLATOR which may be a perfect fix.(might be able to sneak them in with a spring compressor without taking everything apart...
Correct my logic if I'm wrong.

1. Drop springs are installed and it appears that suspension travel is limited.

2. Cut bump stops.

3. Suspension drops further and it appears that suspension travel is still limited.

4. Install isolator to raise spring back up (a different type of bump stop).

Why not install springs with the correct spring rate to begin with?

Spike

Old 04-17-2002 | 10:46 PM
|
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Angry Enough of the BS/unhappy camper...lesson learned

Spike,

Tired of messing with this nonsense.....

I'll be touching base with Stan in the morning for issue resolution.

Bob

Old 04-18-2002 | 12:18 AM
Feel the exact same way

Speedin, let me know what you do, im pretty upset with with mine. Im shocked that eibach was surprized that our trucks were dropping as much as they are. REDICULOUS in my opinion

Old 04-18-2002 | 08:49 AM
Angry Problems problems problems

First off I don't know how Eibach can sell springs and not release the spring rates to the public. Their own web site says the drops may vary. Well the L's have a 5.4, plus the supercharger, plus all the heavy duty cooling equipment. In my opinion this is why we are getting so much drop, so much weight up front.

Next you through in the different rear drops each of us are running and perhaps this accounts for some of the reasons some are getting more drop then others. The more rake, or higher the rear is, the more weight you'll have up front.

dtdionne

I'm sitting at ~30 1/8-1/4 up front and I'm riding the bumpstops. I've ordered 2" Hotchkis Leafs for the rear to go along with the shakles. All and all I hope for a 3" drop in the rear leaving a slight rake. I hopefully will be at 30" upfront and 31" in the rear. We'll see next week.

Quick Reply: Need help from those with drop springs..bumpstop issue!! (pic)