Lightning

Truck Covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002 | 09:50 AM
|
Truck Covers

Sorry fellas... I did do a search on this subject but every relavent thread that was listed in the search came up with an error.

I don't have a garage. Enuff said about that. I need a truck cover sorely but I'm not sure what to look for in a cover. People tell me that there aren't any covers out there that are water proof. Is this true? Is this really a problem? What should I look for fellas?

There's nothing more frustrating than spending 6 hours cleaning and detailing my truck and wake up next morning and there's a 1/4 inch of pollen all over the truck....

All info is appreciated....

Old 04-16-2002 | 09:54 AM
AMEN! I hate pollen.....Good question, I am screwed also with not having a garage.

Qball

Old 04-16-2002 | 09:58 AM
www.calcarcovers.com

They make covers that fit like a glove and have different materials for different conditions. I'm pretty sure you can get a waterproof cover. I just have a soft flannel cover for the garage dust.

One thing to be careful of is when using a cover don't put it over a dirty truck unless you don't car about scratches and swirl marks. I even take the dust off with a California Duster.

Old 04-16-2002 | 11:21 AM
I would suggest not buying one from The Ford Collection. I ordered one in September (planning ahead for MI winters) and I didn't get it until mid December

Those people don't know their heads from the a$$es. I called everyday, noone knew how to track it or find its location, or give me any info on its progress. Needless to say I was ticked, but it is an awesome cover once I finally got it

--Joe

Old 04-16-2002 | 11:24 AM
|
NeedFourSpeed: Link didn't work. Maybe the site is down temporarily....

Soap: Was the cover waterproof?

Thanks for the reply....

Old 04-16-2002 | 11:38 AM
Yes it is weather/water proof. Here are some winter pics........

--Joe

Old 04-16-2002 | 11:58 AM
AA -

Don't know what is up. Use a search engine and search California Car Covers; you should be able to find them.

Old 04-16-2002 | 01:19 PM
I use the California covers for all of my cars. They are a top notch cover. I use the Stormweave due to its water-proof nature as well as its thick padding. I travel quite a bit and I have to leave my vehicle at the Airport alot. The stormweave is designed not only as a weather proof cover but as a cushion as well. Regardless of how far out in BFE I park, some dip***** will park beside me. It's nice to know that the cover will absorb any door dings.

by the way the link is www.calcarcover.com (the other link had an "S" on the end).

Also....CalCarcover is very good about offering Group purchases. It typically takes 10 orders or so, but they offer outstanding discounts. I bought my Fbody cover and my Lightning cover for $135 each (including shipping!) on a GP a while back. That was about $50 off regular shipped price!

Old 04-16-2002 | 01:32 PM
I don't have a garage either. I purchased a cover from California Car Cover. It's one of their Superweave models. I asked many of the questions that you are asking as well. Here are some of the things I was told and have learned. The Superweave is not waterproof but water resistant. If there is a light rain or mist, the cover repells all. A heavy rain will get through the cover. However, this is OK. The cover 'should' breath, otherwise, moisture can collect between the cover and car which is not an ideal situation. I have noticed that when rain does get thru the cover, it is almost 'filtered' from the fine weave of the cover fabric. It leaves all the dirt/pollen on the cover, not the car. The cover keeps the car dirt and dust free, it keeps heat buildup to a minimum, is easy to put on or take off, fits like a glove and is machine washable and can be dried in a dryer (you need a large capacity washer and dryer). The cover can be locked on with a cable (I recommend getting this). Also, California Car Cover will supply you with an additional grommet to allow you to fit your cover over your antenna, free of charge. I've had it a year now and I'm very happy with it. The only bad experience I can relate is that in the winter, the cover can become frozen to the vehicle if water gets between. My solution was not to drive the vehicle that day! Otherwise, I am very happy and very impressed with this cover and would recommend it to anyone.

Old 04-16-2002 | 02:13 PM
|
Good stuff!

This is good info fellas! I really appreciate the feedback on this subject.

Thanks again....

Old 04-16-2002 | 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Silver01
I don't have a garage either. I purchased a cover from California Car Cover. It's one of their Superweave models. I asked many of the questions that you are asking as well. Here are some of the things I was told and have learned. The Superweave is not waterproof but water resistant. If there is a light rain or mist, the cover repells all. A heavy rain will get through the cover. However, this is OK. The cover 'should' breath, otherwise, moisture can collect between the cover and car which is not an ideal situation. I have noticed that when rain does get thru the cover, it is almost 'filtered' from the fine weave of the cover fabric. It leaves all the dirt/pollen on the cover, not the car. The cover keeps the car dirt and dust free, it keeps heat buildup to a minimum, is easy to put on or take off, fits like a glove and is machine washable and can be dried in a dryer (you need a large capacity washer and dryer). The cover can be locked on with a cable (I recommend getting this). Also, California Car Cover will supply you with an additional grommet to allow you to fit your cover over your antenna, free of charge. I've had it a year now and I'm very happy with it. The only bad experience I can relate is that in the winter, the cover can become frozen to the vehicle if water gets between. My solution was not to drive the vehicle that day! Otherwise, I am very happy and very impressed with this cover and would recommend it to anyone.

ditto

Old 04-18-2002 | 04:04 PM
|
I ordered the cover from California covers today. I ordered the Stormweave. The Superweave was just a bit too much money for my blood. I'm sure I'll be happy though.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Quick Reply: Truck Covers