Lightning

Took my L into the dealer today to diagnose power loss

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took my L into the dealer today to diagnose power loss

Well i took my truck in today to Gene Evens Ford. They ran something called an Eatons test and a diagnostic test. Also the technician took it for a test drive. They said that all the test came out fine and found nothing wrong. Fuel pressure checked good, vacuum, compression and everything else. He told me the only other thing that he figured could cause a power loss besides everything he checked for was a clogged fuel filter. I asked him could it be the supercharger gone bad and he said it would have shown on the diagnostic. He told me that he really couldn't tell if the fuel filter was bad just by looking..Well i told him i changed it a couple thousand miles back and he said, like everyone else has told me, maybe i'm just use to the power and need mods..I know how my truck should perform stock and not being able to pull away hard from a few unmodded Z71s hammers the reputation for the Lightnings when before i could stomp them.. Can anyone think of anything else that robs acceleration on these trucks that ford's computer diagnostics can't check for?? I've tried everything it seems..You guys just don't know how much this is beating me up....I don't wanna trade my baby in because of what may be a minor problem but is becoming a major money pit..I'm thinking about putting my JDM chip back on, maybe that will correct any kind of disturbances...

BTW, I forgot a step in the installation process...When you install the chip, after disconnecting the battery, should i turn the
headlights on then off before reconnecting? I remember someone mentioned something about the headlights when resetting the PCU...
Again thanks!!

Old 04-18-2002, 01:49 PM
This might be a dumb guess, but your spark plugs could be burnt up. I don't know the history of your truck; mods, miles, ect. but if you have a few miles on stock plugs with mods, that could be your problem.

Old 04-18-2002, 02:02 PM
I've troubleshooted the spark plugs...3K miles ago, i swapped the stock plugs with NGK TR5's...I don't have any major mods, just an air raid filter and JDM chip which i dont have on the truck right now..milage is 50K

Old 04-18-2002, 02:04 PM
OH..No guesses are dumb here..i assure you any will be taking into consideration

Old 04-18-2002, 02:09 PM
Dyno your truck...it will give you a good estimate.

Old 04-18-2002, 02:51 PM
I'm assuming you checked the intercooler, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Maybe it could be a bad O2 sensor and thats cause the truck to richen up allot more. I know mine is doing this now and I have to change out one of the O2's, but I would think that ford would check for that but who know's?

It could be your blower has lost the coating on the blades and clogged up the intercooler, Thats very very possible if you havne't checked that out, I WOULD. you can do it at home and it only takes a few hours to do.

fuel injectors may need to be cleaned, try that too.

But I would like to see what she does on the track or on a dyno to get some numbers on it. You might just me used to the power of your truck now, it happens. I think my truck is slow! and then I take another bone stock L owner for a ride and there going oh my god this thing is just so damn fast, and I think there crazy.

Old 04-18-2002, 03:39 PM
Find a dyno with air/fuel monitoring. That can tell you a lot. Did they happen to check the transmission? Maybe something going on there.

Old 04-18-2002, 04:07 PM
99:

1. disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. turn on the headlight's switch.
2a. install the chip.

3. wait five minutes.

4. turn the headlight's switch to 'off'.

5. reconnect the neg. cable.

6. turn the ign. sw. 'on' and see if the gauge needles do a 'sweep' or just start the eng.

Now back to what may be causing your lack of power........ I would loosen the clamp at the intake boot to throttle body and gently pull the boot away an inch or so. Have someone sit in the truck and press/hold down the throttle pedal while you check to see if the throttle plates are fully open(try turning the th/cable 'cam' on the driver's side of the th/body). It's probably OK, but you gotta start with the basics...........

You know the air filter is not restricting air flow? You know that you put the gas filter in with the 'FLOW' arrow in the right(towards the eng.) direction?You know that you put the gas filter in with the 'FLOW' arrow in the right(towards the eng.) direction?

Pull a couple of the plugs and look for overheating or too close a gap--should be about .042-.044".

Keep thinkin'--I will too.

Dan

Old 04-18-2002, 05:46 PM
Thanks guys!

Maybe thats whats going on..When i took my truck into the dealer maybe the technician didn't gap the NGK TR5's correctly...I appreciate the help! I'm not giving up so easy.....BTW, While i was at the dealer, i went next door to the pontiac dealership and got the salesman to let me test drive a ram air trans am..I did this to be able to compare the seat of the pants difference between that and my truck..Also to see if i'm just use to my L's stock power since these trucks arent far behind the Ram airs...well, the ram air didn't impress me much and didn't accelerate any much faster than my truck..don't get me wrong now it was definitely fast but I know my truck is also..My buddy with a 2001 GT brags on the Camaro SS and ram air...He claims that the ram air is somehow faster than an SS..I guess it is a mind thing about my L and partly, it's that i'm use to it...i'll keep you guys posted on my luck and anymore ideas are accepted...i'm gonna go and try everything and recheck my plugs..

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2002, 05:55 PM
also..would no having changed my rear differential fluid effect anything?? i've also noticed a jerking in between gear changes that i use to didn't have stock..i noticed it when i first installed my chip and i thought it was normal..Now it's doing it slightly even without the chip

Quick Reply: Took my L into the dealer today to diagnose power loss