Lightning

Exhaust back pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002 | 06:13 PM
Qball2439

what mufflers you using?

Old 04-25-2002 | 06:27 PM
J15BIG- You want an X-pipe. Install it just in front of the mufflers. Jet-hot it if at all possible.

Dr. D- You should expect performance improvements. If you like the Magnapacks, go with them. . . just remember to install the X pipe right before the mufflers. As close as you can within reason. I agree with you. $700 is alot to spend if you lose hp & torque across the board. I'd be pissed if I lost even 1 average hp or lb/ft.

But some people are into that. It's kinda like wearing a Rolex watch to them. If it costs the most, then by God it must be the BEST.

But then again, I've been scolded (quite nastily) in this forum for being cheap, nosey, ignorant, and a know-it-all for just trying to help, so you may want to consider seeking the opinion of an exhaust professional before laying down the long green.

Hope this helps,

Old 04-25-2002 | 06:29 PM
|
the dual 14416's

Old 04-25-2002 | 06:42 PM
I like being a member of the cheap. ignorant, nosey know-it-all club. I have a Timex and it tells time just as fast as a Rolex. I just don't have money to throw around. It has to go for the most for the least. Not poor, just frugal. I have other habits, too-computers and pc games, guitars, a HOUSE, food etc.

I heard the 14416s and like 'em. What benefit is the x-pipe?

Old 04-25-2002 | 06:54 PM
dual inlet/ dual outlet flowmasters?

Originally posted by WrongdayJ
If you absolutely can't stand the notion of having a Flowmaster, then go with a dual inlet/dual outlet muffler from the company of your choice. The X-pipe into two single mufflers works, and it's easier for the exhaust techs to do, but I think that is better for the top end racing vehicles that are custom tuned and making 16 lbs of boost at 6500 rpm. A street/strip vehicle will lose hp and torque with this kind of set-up.
WrongdayJ or anyone else,

Does Flowmaster have a dual in/ dual out 40 series muffler and if so, what is the part number? I looked on their website and they don't list one on there that I could find. How much quieter is the 'Delta Flow' series from the regular 40 series?

I think I'm in the same boat as a few others on here; I think the stock exaust sound is too quiet and I want some mean sound. I'm not necessarily expecting much more hp/tq but I certainly don't want to loose anything on the low end or high end by going with a different muffler. I had two 40 series on my old 98 Cobra and loved the sound, hopefully it will sound similar on my Lightning.

Kevin

Last edited by CruJones; 04-25-2002 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2002 | 06:55 PM
|
so..back on topic, does anyone have a factory backpressure reading? or is anyone willing to get thiers checked for the sake of research?

Qball

Old 04-25-2002 | 07:08 PM
WrongdayJ, I'm not trying to poop on your explanation as it probably is correct. The only thing I wanna add is back when people with the '99's and '00's were experimenting with the different muffler setups a lot of people complained that the dual in/dual out under hard acceleration made a very distinct blowing sound and most ended up going with 2 flows mounted at an angle like this: // . They may have since developed a dual in/dual out specifically for the "L", I don't know.

Old 04-25-2002 | 07:08 PM
Nitro

Excuse me, I may fall into the cheap, ignorant, nosey category, but I don't claim to be a know-it-all. I may be cheap but I don't have to buy things twice before I get it right. I'll get my LTs next year after I collect enough cans. It will take about that long but I'm sure it'll be worth it. Cheap, yea, but I did get the truck. That's a good start.
As a matter of fact, this is my second L. Had a 93 too.

Last edited by DR.D; 04-25-2002 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2002 | 07:10 PM
Thumbs up

Hehehehe. . .Dr. D, I couldn't have said it better myself. I kinda like shop equipment, though. Although food and computer goodies rank high up, too. Try as I might, I can't have a nice, shiny new surface grinder or milling machine AND overpriced Lightning parts. I guess I need to collect some more cans, huh? Or maybe sell pencils or something. Hehehe. I'm laughing so hard my ribs are thor. . .er. . .sore.
--------ANYWAY------------------------------

The X-pipe equalizes the pressure differentials that happen between the two banks of cylinders in your engine. Sometimes two cylinders from the same bank fire in sequence, while only one fires from the other side. An X-pipe or crossover helps to smooth these pressure (both positive and negative) spikes and uses the forces from the stronger one to help scavenging on the weaker side. At the same time, when the pressures start climbing, this effect helps to cushion the loads put on your engine as the gasses are pushed out. Helps with thermal spikes, too. It's a good thing. The 'X' is more efficient than an 'I' shaped crossover simply because of it's shape.

That 'wooshing' sound means nothing. There are sound/tone chambers in there, too. There is a school of thought that says that that sound means too much restriction. Think of this. . .how many Buick Grand Nationals make that same sound as they run their funny sounding 11.5 in the quarter? Almost all of them. I kinda like that 'tornado' sound.

BTW- Flowmasters don't sound the same on an L as they do on a mustang. It's different, but I think you'll like it. Imagine a tornado coming out of a lions mouth. . .or something.

Talk to you later,

Last edited by WrongdayJ; 04-25-2002 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2002 | 07:17 PM
Thanks J

I can take, and I can dish it out. Besides, I don't mind. Just remember, if you dish it out, ya better be able to take it. I gotta go. I heard someone drop a can outside!!! Long tubes long tubes long tubes. Keep tossin' dem cans.

Old 04-25-2002 | 07:20 PM
Thumbs up

I'll race you. Winner gets the can.

Old 04-25-2002 | 07:22 PM
Nitro

With the help of my tutor, I read that the LT full system really doesn't benefit you much til you get some serious mods. Is that true? I don't plan on more than a 4# pulley, chip, air box mod. I don't expect more than 12.5s at best, and that's OK.

Old 04-25-2002 | 07:24 PM
Winner gets the can!!!!

You're buttin' in on my cash flow there, J. I ain't racin' for it!
A can in the hand is worth two on the track.

Old 04-25-2002 | 09:12 PM
I don't do shoes. I do high speed flossing using the latest dental floss technology, by appointment only.
BTW, I have a JMDLJSPS can crusher with the latest program.

Thanks, I'll get longer tube headers than everyone else.
Don

Hmmmm, seems Nitro took the shine box to use as a pedestal to stand on.

Last edited by DR.D; 04-26-2002 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-26-2002 | 09:22 AM
With just a filter and chip I got something like 7rwhp and 12 ft/lbs rwtq with the first long tubes that were available over a year ago. They are the ones offered by JL. I used high flow cats; dynomax race magnums and had an H-pipe fabbed in the system before the mufflers.

Sound is good and alot of people really like it. Personally a glass-pack sounds like a glass pack and I prefer a more metallic sound over the old cherry bomb sound.

To me nothing sounded better than I high compression motor with a lumpy cam and the old chrysler hemi muffler.

Will the Flows sound more like this since they are a chambered muffler and not a glass-pack?

Quick Reply: Exhaust back pressure