Lightning

Most Popular Lowering Kits for the Lightning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002 | 06:41 PM
|
Cool Most Popular Lowering Kits for the Lightning?

FINALLY!! After 3 years of racing my Lightning in NHRA Dvision 2 Brackets I've decided to make her LOOK PRETTIER. I need to know the BEST Lowering kit (poss. 3"-4"?)or what? Extra parts-shocks-for handling, etc. Whatever worked for you guys.
Sure appreciate the input.
In case I wanted to play sometime (when I am not racing my 9 second Money Stang) at the track with my Lightning (now a TOW TRUCK)-is there much of a traction loss with the Lightning being lowered?
Thanks,
Dan Rella

Old 04-25-2002 | 07:17 PM
What's you're definition of "best" lowering kit?
Is lowering more important than handling?
Is money a big concern or a little concern?

Spike

Old 04-25-2002 | 09:01 PM
if your looking for a 3/4 go with the belltech. get some doetsch shocks[think thats how they are spelled]. get some correct size endlinks. and you should be A OK

check this thread out-talks about endlinks
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...light=endlinks
here are the shocks
http://www.sporttruckdirect.com/Doet...ch_shocks.html

Old 04-25-2002 | 09:27 PM
Hey Spike, how about best lowering kit for handling?? (with the QA1 shocks).

Old 04-26-2002 | 08:44 AM
check link in sig

Old 04-26-2002 | 09:54 AM
So-Cal Speed Shop

IMO

Go to So-Cal and look in the hot rod section. Go into the project vehicles and look under Ford. Or just search for Lightning.

Anyhow it is a good quality kit. I don't have it all, I have pieces. I still need the hangers and extra leaf to finish it out. Lower, handles better, maintains stock bed capacity.

I'm sure there is better though. Just my opinion.

Old 04-26-2002 | 10:35 AM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Arrow

Good to see you're still around RedDevil

JMHO, forget installing Eibach Springs if you want to improve handling. For looks and if you want a spongy front end, they're fine.

The other pieces So-Cal offers are good, adjustable rear sway bar end links in particular.

Bob

Old 04-26-2002 | 11:24 AM
BELLTECH

I like the overall performance gains from my kit.I like the feel of it on the highway and the hook off the line.I feel this was the finishing touch on the visual appeal of a Lightning. Have Fun!

Old 04-26-2002 | 12:42 PM
Dan,
You are still around. For the newer guys Dan is one of the pioneers. One of the first to get into the 12's.

Watch the trailer tongue weight when towing with a lowered L. Most kits reduce the capacity.

Old 04-26-2002 | 01:23 PM
Black2000L:
I posted comments to Ruslow's over at NLOC.

1RedDevil:
With my suspension setup, I have little traction off the line. But, it handles great on corners, and I don't mean the occasional offramp corner. If I was to do it all over, I'd either order custom springs from Hotchkis or Ruslow, add a panhard bar and custom shocks and leave everything else the same. You could add sway bars but I'm not yet sold on them other than my tire wear was more even after several sessions at the track. Maybe an adjustment to the front wheel alignment would help squeeze a little more performance out of the bars, but that could only be confirmed on a track using timing equipment. If handling is important, stay away from shackles. They will just make the rear end more unpredicatable than it already is (the same corner will feel different).

Old 04-26-2002 | 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Spike Engineering
...If I was to do it all over, I'd either order custom springs from Hotchkis or Ruslow, add a panhard bar and custom shocks and leave everything else the same. ...
Really??? You wouldn't do the rear springs, or anything to lower it?

Old 04-26-2002 | 06:55 PM
Originally posted by captainoblivious

Really??? You wouldn't do the rear springs, or anything to lower it?
I'd do the rear also. Custom springs and/or the sliders. Until I go to the track again and compare times between the stock and aftermarket bars, the stock bars and connections may be adequate.

Old 04-27-2002 | 01:07 AM
How about ruslow's or hotchkis coils, a set of a- arms, hotchkis springs bell tech shackles and a set of those custom shocks spike has, oh yeah and end links. If i had the money that's what I would do.

Old 04-27-2002 | 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Z28KLR
How about ruslow's or hotchkis coils, a set of a- arms, hotchkis springs bell tech shackles and a set of those custom shocks spike has, oh yeah and end links. If i had the money that's what I would do.
Custom springs/coils from Ruslow are very inexpensive (I was surprised). Add the adjustable shocks and something to stabilize the rear (sliders/panhard bar...) and the price is very competive to the rest, especially when considering the proven performance gain.

Quick Reply: Most Popular Lowering Kits for the Lightning?