Lightning

Benefits of lowering

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002 | 09:07 PM
|
Question Benefits of lowering

Sorry for being to much of an idiot to know this , but what are the benefits of lowering the L? I was thinking of buying the 2" lowering shackles from JDM. Will this cause any change in performance or is it solely for appearance?

Old 04-30-2002 | 09:07 PM
It can help with traction some....

Old 04-30-2002 | 10:36 PM
i dont agree that it helps with traction,i lost traction after installing a 2'' rear drop!!

Old 04-30-2002 | 10:54 PM
At least it eliminates the HiJacker look. Mine looked like it had air shocks.

Old 04-30-2002 | 11:17 PM
Realalisticly, It is just a appearance thing. You could argue that the lower center of gravity wiil improve handling but I would bet that the decrease in suspension travel will cause as many new problems as improvments.

IMHO

Old 05-01-2002 | 02:41 AM
Originally posted by awhittle
Realalisticly, It is just a appearance thing. You could argue that the lower center of gravity wiil improve handling but I would bet that the decrease in suspension travel will cause as many new problems as improvments.

IMHO
Furthermore, the performance benefit of "just lowering" hasn't been tested nor proven, just speculated. On the other hand, there are suspension systems that have been "tested" and provide better performance. Part of the system may include lowering, but there are numerous other changes (hopefully all design to work together), so lowering can't be singled out as the cause of the improvement.

Spike

Old 05-01-2002 | 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Spike Engineering

. . .Part of the system may include lowering, but there are numerous other changes (hopefully all design to work together), so lowering can't be singled out as the cause of the improvement.

Spike
To add to what Spike said- I would argue that just lowering a vehicle, without addressing the other effected sub-systems of the suspension, would cause a worsening of the vehicles handling/ride characteristics. There is a post by a gentleman named Kuan that addresses this very principle. I believe it's called "Problem with Beltech kit" or something like that. The best thing you can do if you truly want to enhance your trucks suspension is read like there's no tomorrow about handling and suspensions. Then choose your mods carefully with regard to how they effect each other. Test and measure everything before and after. Pictures help, too.

Hope this helps,

Old 05-01-2002 | 10:03 AM
see link in sig and start reading.

Quick Reply: Benefits of lowering