Lightning

Transmission Rebuild Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission Rebuild Questions

I need to rebuild my E4OD 4R100 transmission in my 99 L. Only 43K miles but kaput. I need opinions as to parts choice or does anyone out there known of a transmission swap for core with a complete performance rebuild? What clutch rebuild kit is best for street/strip close to 500 hp, 13 psi boost and 50 shot of NX? Should I go with a factory tech valve body or something else? Should the intermediate sprag be upgraded? What else? Suggestions welcomed. Price range is to stay below $2,500.00 for the rebuild.

Old 05-09-2002, 11:13 PM
Talk to Greg

He is the man for you, he will build you a trans that will take all the abuse you can dish out

http://www.nloc.net/forum/forumdispl...s=&forumid=452

Old 05-10-2002, 08:35 AM
Thumbs up

Performance Automatics in Freehold, NJ..."Red Racing Clutches"...ask the guy there (I forget his name right now) to put together a kit for your Lightning...he's done it for me and a buddy. I'm NOTHING but pleased with it. The tranny rebuild, 2400 stall, and labor were all under $2K.

DUCK

Old 05-10-2002, 10:14 PM
The blue Frictions are much better than the red ones and it depends on which sprag you have in the unit right now,from what I gather Greg offers a pretty good unit for a really fair price you should really give him a call,I have never used one of his units but from what I have read on the boards he uses good parts and I can tell he knows what he is talking about because I own a transmission shop and have been rebuilding transmissions for a lot of years, I dont ship my units out of state because I dont have the time to deal with it but if I could not build one of these myself I would use one of his units in a heartbeat before I would go to any transmisssion shop including Level 10 as they are way overpriced and thier units arent all that great.

Old 05-11-2002, 03:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coming from you I take that as a compliment. And Raybestos Blues are the best single sided plates made. The dual plates that Level 10 uses are really interesting and I'd use them if they didn't make you buy the whole kit for $759. It's $200 worth of parts plus the dual sided interemediate plates, and NO 3 plates are worth $500+ in my opinion.

Question,
how can you tell a transmission man by looking at his largest screwdriver?

G

Old 05-11-2002, 07:57 AM
I hane never heard that question before,but I think I know the answer.Because Every builder I have ever met including myself always has a notch cut out of his his biggest screwdriver for pulling snap rings out of the case.I was wondering do you do stock stuff as well as race stuff? One more question, Who do you think is making the best converter for the 4r100s?
Jim

Quick Reply: Transmission Rebuild Questions