Lightning

JDM pulley removal a NIGHTMARE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you guys will check the "haz" (heat affected zone) in the above pics, on the spindle, it laughed at an oxy/acetylene torch.

Old 05-12-2002, 07:41 PM
well.....

You are right about something MRBBQ, sometimes it's comes to a point where you are flat out screwed. Did you try soaking it it aerokroil????

Old 05-12-2002, 08:35 PM
Wink

yep, i'm a Kroil distributor. i also deal in super-tight left hand threads for a living. i have all the tools and tricks and this one kicked my ***

Old 05-12-2002, 08:44 PM
Red Locktite? Does JDM recommend 'red'? My JL and my PSP pulleys have 'blue loctite' on the allen bolts. No problem breaking them loose when I changed them and theyve never come loose in 20,000+ miles.

Dan

Old 05-12-2002, 08:52 PM
Weedo,Yes as a matter of fact I speak from experience!This time I'm going to use the stock hub with the 15mm allen head.also using anti-seize per JDM's advice.[don't know why he doesn't tell everyone this in his instructions??]
Anyway I think i'll have a better chance of removing it[ if needed] without stripping the head.
E-mail me your ph.# so I can make arrangments to stop by. kimepie@yahoo.com
Thx!-Dave.

Old 05-12-2002, 09:38 PM
Reliquifies Loctite? A little heat can work wonders on siezed threads,But I have never heard of heat reliquifieing [is that even a word?] Loctite. Just my opinion, and yes I do this for a living as well.

Old 05-12-2002, 09:49 PM
Just to clearify things I wasn't knocking JDMs pulley. I think it is the best design out there. Less stress on the crank. I was only saying I am dumb for putting red loctite on it I was rushing and that is all that was around. And FYI they say to use heat to remove it. Oh well I was a dummy in a rush to see how much faster he truck was. My loss I guess. -Mat-

Old 05-12-2002, 10:22 PM
Any design that has the potential to strip something (in this case) by NUMEROUS people, is a bad design, period. JDM has their own tool that they use to get them off when THEY strip the pulley during removal!!! Does that tell you something?????

I agree, caged is "probably" better, but i don't think anyone can disagree that this was a dumb design. And i'm not talking about the caged part.

I wouldn't sweat it about the JDM interchagable. I know of two people that have them and have no trouble.
tallimeca: we all know people with JDM pullies that haven't had trouble, but these are usually the people that have never tried to removed them to put the stock pulley back on....

Old 05-12-2002, 10:50 PM
tallimeca: we all know people with JDM pullies that haven't had trouble, but these are usually the people that have never tried to removed them to put the stock pulley back on....
I've taken mine off twice (one 2#er and one 4#er) and each time it came off without a glitch. I did not use loctite or anti-sieze on either one.

Old 05-13-2002, 12:28 AM
Former Sponsor
Ya striping something really sucks.
I read a few post over here where one guy got seven stiches taking his stock pulley off and another post where one person got three stiches installing his chip.
I guess were ford put the top bolt on the PCM bracket was a design fall or the inter cooler that they replace in about 11,000 trucks.

One thing engineers and designers always wanted was helpfull input.
I guess the modo is here is lets bash it to death.

Good companies will make design changes and you can count on that.

Jim@JDM

Old 05-13-2002, 01:17 AM
Jim,

I know there are plenty of us out here that would love a change. In fact, from what i understand you've known this is a major issue taking these pullies off for a long time. I'm sure it's no walk in the park to change a design and i'm sure it's not cheap, but OH MAN was this bad. I didn't have any loctite on it either. Two of us used about as much muscle as we could muster up (WD-40 didn't help obviously).

Not trying to bash this to death, just really upset at spending 2 days and about 8 hours of my time (and a very helpful friend) with this. If i was the only one that has had this problem i would think it was just a "one-off problem".

I'm hoping to somehow get it off this week (not sure how yet but....)

Believe me, i don't doubt there are plenty of flaws in what Ford has done from the factory but i'm not buying parts from Ford that i'm having trouble with.

And hopefully this can be handled well...

Sorry, just venting!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Weedo; 05-13-2002 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-13-2002, 01:35 AM
I'm sure this idea has been shut down already for various reasons...........

But having some kind of adapter that you would just fit over the stock pulley to make it bigger would be pretty sweet. Wouldnt even have to take the stock pulley off..........and would take about 10 min.

Old 05-13-2002, 03:07 AM
I think you forgot its left hand threaded..

Old 05-13-2002, 12:27 PM
I think you forgot its left hand threaded..
I would certainly hope no one would forget that!

Old 05-13-2002, 12:34 PM
Transhop1 , sorry, didn't realize the grammar police were on patrol here...

Reliquifies - (definition per the 2Cool dictionary) - boils/burns off, breaks down to the point it is no longer a thread locking compound.

Cook some dried locktite and you'll see what I mean.

Anyways, the anti-sieze makes a lot more sense overall, as the crank is continually tightened in operation, and locktite is overkill.

Quick Reply: JDM pulley removal a NIGHTMARE!!!!