Lightning

Air Sensor? K&n

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002 | 03:20 PM
|
Question Air Sensor? K&n

Yesterday me and a buddy took apart my stock air box and put the K&N on the end and sealed it into place with small screws,rubber washers, and plumbers tape on the screws. It looks pretty nice like this and seems to get more air flow, but now my damn check engine light is on. I will wait a few days to see if it goes away but im thinking that either i wacked the sensor on accident or i did a crappy job with the sealing.(seems fine though) Could it be on because of the change in air-flow in general? I dont see a difference between the AirRaid kit and what i have done, the truck is running nice and sounds fine. I will be changing out the hood to opt for the ram air kit but in the meantime this light is annoying me. help!

Old 05-14-2002 | 03:47 PM
you put a K&N filter on the end of the MAF?

what did you do with the air temp sensor? did you leave it unplugged?

Old 05-14-2002 | 03:52 PM
If you put a K&N on the end of a MASS air sensor, why wouldn't you just use a band clamp to secure it over the screws and tape. Or did you use a pannel filter in the stock box.

Old 05-14-2002 | 04:12 PM
Sounds like he did a nicer version of the 'zip tie' mod. Put a panel filter on the airbox and fastened it in so that the lower part of the airbox was not needed.

Unplug the battery fro 15 min to reset everything, then drive around. If the light comes on have some one scan the code for you.

Old 05-14-2002 | 04:16 PM
I see what your saying, but that seems to be strange to me, just cut the box up then so you have something to strap the top to, or forget all that crap and by a filter kit from one of the big 3.

Old 05-14-2002 | 04:21 PM
|
The sensor is plugged in ..here are some pics of it i just took , It doesnt sound like its not sealed or anything. The filter is definitly flush with the plastic and the screws are spaced out evenly. The rubber seal on the back side of the filter is what i presumed would be the most important thing to have flush. am I the only guy who has tried this or something? We did the same thing to my friends 2000 gt and his light didnt come on...and i think we didnt do as nice of a job on his either..i dunno, check out the pics

Old 05-14-2002 | 04:32 PM
oh, i thought you had a lightning.. have you tried the regular ford forums? the lightning airbox is totally different.

reset the computer & see if it goes away.. plus see if the maf & temp sensor are plugged in good..

Old 05-14-2002 | 04:36 PM
|
sorry...i figured the L guys knew it all. Ill post it in the "non-L" boards..thanks anyway, ill try that reset thing if nothing else works

Old 05-15-2002 | 10:41 AM
|
clonetek, the battery reset deal worked great...i unplugged it for about 10 minuts and fired back up with no engine light. thanks for the good advice.

Old 05-15-2002 | 02:27 PM
no problemo.. if it keeps setting off the check engine light, put everything back to stock & reset the battery again.. if it trips the SES light again, you'll know something else has gone wrong.

Quick Reply: Air Sensor? K&n