Lightning

Went to GLD in Wisconsin and ran my Superchips and PSP chips, here are the results

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002 | 02:12 AM
|
Post Went to GLD in Wisconsin and ran my Superchips and PSP chips, here are the results

Hi, Like the subject says I went to GLD to race and I took my Superchips chip and PSP chip and run them both to se the diference betwen both and here are the results.
The first 2 runs were done with out cooling down the truck, I didn't remove any thing from the truck, truck is 2000, lower tire pressure to 28psi, temperature was in the upper 50's all I did was disconnect the battery to clear the PCM and switch chips, as for the mods, all I have is a 2lb PSP pulley, transgo shif kit, straight pipes, K&N panel filter and both of the chips above mentioned.
First run was done with the PSP chip witch is programed for my 2LBS lower pulley:
R/T...... .886
60'....... 2.042
330...... 5.659
1/8....... 8.650
MPH...... 81.62
1000..... 11.267
1/4 ....... 13.494
MPH....... 101.06

After the pass I switched chips and installed my Superchips chip the I got from Mike troyer witch I have to mention that isn't even programed for the pulley and is just a Superchip generic program not a JDM chip or any thing like that, and here are the results:

R/T......... .705
60' ........ 2.040
330........ 5.622
1/8......... 8.552
MPH........ 84.25
1000....... 11.081
1/4.......... 13.237
MPH......... 104.50
What a difference, the truck felt way stronger with the superchips, after that pass I let the truck cool down for like 20 minutes and put some ice on top os the supercharger and made another pass I made a big burn out and launch at 1100 RPMs and here are the times:
R/T.......... .787
60' ......... 1.906
330......... 5.418
1/8.......... 8.311
MPH........ 85.39
1000....... 10.819
1/4.......... 12.954
MPH......... 105.50

I ran another 3 times and run 12.95 and 12.92 and the last one 13.00, not to bad ah?
There were another 3 Lightnings, all 3 silver, 2 2000 and a 2001, who knows maybe those guys post on this website too! and they all had more mods than I do, the 2001 was running the same times as i was but he had a JLP chip JLP ram air kit I think and like a 6LBS pulley and he was running the same times as i was, and the other 2, one was running 12.07 with nitrous and a lot of mods and the other one had a pulley like a 6lbs, filter and diablo chip a believe, I don't know but race him once and was killing him, I even got him of the line with my bald F1 tires against his Nittos 555 drag radials and had like half a truck and was pulling on him but for some reason he just stopped at like the 1/8 of the mile, I think something happened to his truck, after all I was a great night because I ran 12's, now all I need to do is send my chip back to Sal for a reburn and try them again, because I thought that I was going to run faster with the PSP chip but you just never know.

Old 05-15-2002 | 05:50 AM
Thanks for the info!

Old 05-15-2002 | 07:50 AM
Even though I prefer JDM chips, I think Sal could tweak your PSP program to get the same or better results.

Old 05-15-2002 | 08:11 AM
I have not run the 1/4 with my PSP 4-way but I have faith in the program. When I put it on the race program the ride is just incredible (dyno'd at 391.4 RWHP and 467 and change ft.lb. torque). I'm going to race it in El Paso, TX, next weekend (high heat, low humidity conditions) and we'll see what happens. El Paso is not the best test bed, but what else is there to do in west Texas?

Old 05-15-2002 | 09:14 AM
Congrats

On the 12s.Newest 12 second club member.

VINNIE

Old 05-15-2002 | 10:20 AM
not to give you any grief,

but i am curious if you can tell me the timing in both chips, the a/f of both chips, ect....

if you don't know that, then comparing the chips is useless.

any chip can make pretty much the same power as another chip, the question is at what expense.

if your superchip isn't programmed for the 2lb pulley, chances are the a/f is a bit leaner and there is more timing, hence more power.

i make sure i know what a/f is set at, timing, ect...

I always ask these questions,

my previous chip was set at 21 timing and 12.3 a/f, imo too agressive for the power we're pushing, it made great times on the 4lb pulley.

i am running faster now with the 6lb, even though my timing is only 20 and a/f is 11.44

i have also checked the a/f with a meter to insure it's doing what the chip is supposed to.

imo the autologic is awesome software, it works exactly as it is supposed to.

Old 05-15-2002 | 11:02 AM
|
Originally posted by beefcake
not to give you any grief,

but i am curious if you can tell me the timing in both chips, the a/f of both chips, ect....

if you don't know that, then comparing the chips is useless.

any chip can make pretty much the same power as another chip, the question is at what expense.

if your superchip isn't programmed for the 2lb pulley, chances are the a/f is a bit leaner and there is more timing, hence more power.

i make sure i know what a/f is set at, timing, ect...

I always ask these questions,

my previous chip was set at 21 timing and 12.3 a/f, imo too agressive for the power we're pushing, it made great times on the 4lb pulley.

i am running faster now with the 6lb, even though my timing is only 20 and a/f is 11.44

i have also checked the a/f with a meter to insure it's doing what the chip is supposed to.

imo the autologic is awesome software, it works exactly as it is supposed to.
Weel here are the answers....

If I knew the A/F numbers for any of the chips I will tell you what they are but I don't know them,
I think that the only peple who know that are Mike Troyer form Performance Products and Sal from PSP, the only thing I know about them is that the Superchips is the Generic R9 program for the CUX2 PCM and the PSP is for the same computer but was programed for the 2Lbs pulley, but thats all I know about them,
but I can tell you a few of the things that I notice betwen both of the chip..
The superchips dosen't shisft as hard as the PSP but that doesn't seem to afect how fast the truck runs, and also the PSP chip revs the engine a little more than the Superchip does, i will say that it revs the engine 100 rpm's more that the other chip before it shifts to another gear, and the superchip feels stronger in the upper rpms, like form 90 to 105 MPH My superchips just pulls hard while the PSP just kinda falls in power after I hit 90, I mean its not like the engines shuts down but it just doesn't pull as hard as the superchips after I hit 90, just by looking at the MPH betwen each of the 3 runs you can see the diference.

I'm not sayng that the superchips its better than the PSP chip because I know that PSP chips are great and are supposed to be equal or better than superchips that's the reason I have both, I just think that there might be somenthing wrong with the PSP chip, I just think it needs to be reburned...
This is just my very own personal findings and it doesn't mean that that one chips is better that the other one, I just was surpriced to see that the superchip was working the way it was, I wasn't even expecting a 12 second run!

Old 05-15-2002 | 01:54 PM
you got a slight problem in your test brother.

you said you superchip was a standard superchip for a stock lightning. Well you have a 2lb lower pulley and just like beefcake said, your trucks going to run allot leaner and your going induse allot more detonation like that. Where as the PSP chip is designed for you 2lb lower pulley and will adjust by adding more fuel to the mixture and making a much safer program non the less.

Your test is useless? no falme intended.

If you want a real test, tell superchips to program your chip for a 2lb lower pulley and then see which one is faster, but that still only proves one thing to us all, which tuner is making a more aggressive program.

I'm sure if you called up sal and told him that you wanted a chip that would get you even more power, he could do. but I'm sure with standard street chips he's just sending out a much safer program to unsure reliability and safty cause lets face, not all of us on this board are looking for ever inch of power we can get from it. 75% of the people want a safer program first!

Old 05-15-2002 | 02:02 PM
exactamundo!

Old 05-15-2002 | 02:21 PM
That's alot of difference for a swap in fuel maps for two extra pounds of boost. 1/2 second? What's that, ~40rwhp?

True, it's not an apples to apples comparison BUT it is somewhat useful. Afterall, was it not too long ago that a couple of tuners mentioned you could add a 2lb lower WITHOUT a chip.

Old 05-15-2002 | 02:32 PM
Rest In Peace
You can run the 2# lower with no chip. Its the 4# where you might throw a lean code and need a chip.

Old 05-15-2002 | 02:32 PM
|
Originally posted by RTKILLA
you got a slight problem in your test brother.

you said you superchip was a standard superchip for a stock lightning. Well you have a 2lb lower pulley and just like beefcake said, your trucks going to run allot leaner and your going induse allot more detonation like that. Where as the PSP chip is designed for you 2lb lower pulley and will adjust by adding more fuel to the mixture and making a much safer program non the less.

Your test is useless? no falme intended.

If you want a real test, tell superchips to program your chip for a 2lb lower pulley and then see which one is faster, but that still only proves one thing to us all, which tuner is making a more aggressive program.

I'm sure if you called up sal and told him that you wanted a chip that would get you even more power, he could do. but I'm sure with standard street chips he's just sending out a much safer program to unsure reliability and safty cause lets face, not all of us on this board are looking for ever inch of power we can get from it. 75% of the people want a safer program first!
Thanks for your reply Rtkilla, I understad you point here and like a said before I'm not trying to say that one chip is better than the other one i just was surpriced to see the results, but let me point out one more thing.
You say that maybe i'm running leaner with the superchips right? ok let say that I'm running leaner, that should equal to less black build up on the muffler tips right? well let me say that I drove my truck with PSP chip for about 4 months and never cleaned my tips because they weren't black at all, and before I had the pulley or PSP chip i was just running the other chip and the tips used to get soo black all the time that i had to clean them like twice a week, so after i installed the pulley and the PSP chip i thought that I was getting less black on the tips because of the new chip and pulley, so the means that i was probably running leaner than before... and after installing the superchips back, the tips are getting blacker than before,
just form running last night they got a decent amount of black coating on them, so this problably means that the superchips is making the truck run more rich, or some one correct me if I'm wrong, i don't know much about this engines, so I'm just saying what i saw, and i should also mention that at not time during all of the passes that I did last night heard any pinging or detonation and believe me i had my ears wide open open just to make sure that i wasn't going to trow a rod because of the chip not being programed for the pulley, so like a said before it could that the PSP chip need's to be reburnded, i mean lets face it, we all know that some times chips need to be send back for a reburn, some times they just don't work right the first time. n/m

And also Beefcake what does "Exactamundo" means?

Old 05-15-2002 | 02:33 PM
the pulley can be ran, however, i guarantee it's going to be agressive

Old 05-15-2002 | 02:38 PM
|
Originally posted by CornerCarver
That's alot of difference for a swap in fuel maps for two extra pounds of boost. 1/2 second? What's that, ~40rwhp?

True, it's not an apples to apples comparison BUT it is somewhat useful. Afterall, was it not too long ago that a couple of tuners mentioned you could add a 2lb lower WITHOUT a chip.
Yeah I know what you mean, can you imagine the look i had in my face after I saw my time slip i was like what? half a second faster mmhhh
Al I can think of is that meaybe one chips is running way too lean and the truck needs more fuel and that's why if falls on it's face after 90 MPH, but thats just what i think in reality who knows what made the truck run a half second faster after a simple change of chips.

Last edited by Gilberto B; 05-15-2002 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2002 | 02:54 PM
Originally posted by CornerCarver

you can run a 6 pound lower without a chip an its going to be ok

its the fact that with a stock truck the way they get more power is to lean them out so the A/F is just right making MAX power! If you have a chip thats ment for 8lbs of boost and your at lets say 12 to 1 and then you add a 2lb lower with the same program your going to raise the a/f and be a like 13 to 1 insted and of course your going to make even more power, but at the A/F level your truck is unsafe for daily use in my mind.

Quick Reply: Went to GLD in Wisconsin and ran my Superchips and PSP chips, here are the results