Lightning

Intercooler Fan and Water Mist

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002 | 03:28 PM
|
Intercooler Fan and Water Mist

Hey Guys, after my last experiment on the dyno, I found out that you can get like 7-8 horses and like 13-14 ft/lbs of torque by misting water on the intercooler in front of a big fan... So:

Has anyone here built a pusher fan and water mist combo? If so, do you have details? I'd love to build this, it'd probably be cheap to do it and you can't argue with the results for the money...

Old 05-19-2002 | 03:45 PM
Dude your website is STRANGE

--Joe

Old 05-19-2002 | 03:54 PM
Some people spray a small shot of N2o on their intercooler to bring the temps down

Old 05-19-2002 | 07:20 PM
LOL! I don't think the track workers would like you spraying water down the track

Old 05-19-2002 | 08:30 PM
Question C/B/Jerry:

Where the hael you been boy?

Dan

Old 05-19-2002 | 11:42 PM
I 've seen a video where they used a fire extinguisher on the intercooler before a 1/4 run. I guess you'd have to clean the intercooler afterwards, though.

This could be something that someone can build: a system that uses some liquified gas to cool the intercooler for sustained amounts of time... enough for a 1/4 mile. You could use it on the radiator to keep the enginer cooler, too. It'd be the next best thing to running in cold weather. But then you'd be carrying that much more compressed gas on board.

But wait, that's what nitrous does, right? It adds more oxygen to the air fuel mixture (equivalent to denser air) and cools the engine to get a bigger bang on combustion... but then you have to compensate with more fuel, methinks.

So I guess why bother spraying liquified gas on the intercooler when you get more bang by spraying nitrous into the engine.

I suppose a water mister on the intercooler would be cheaper and less invasive (let Ford try to void your warranty for driving in the rain), but like Mr. Apex wrote, it'd be pretty mean to do that on the track.

Old 05-20-2002 | 12:18 AM
Guys the mitsubishe evos and the subaru impressa use a water sprayer that is connected to the water tank of your windshield when it is activated sprayes a mist of water for 5 sec to 30sec to the intercooler this is used when the car is driven hard for extra power i now this as i used to have a 97 impressa and had this system work great on it we did something like this by using the spray nosel of the ford connected to a water tank this system is very easy to do

Old 05-20-2002 | 02:48 PM
|
Originally posted by soap

--Joe
Yep, it is. I don't write for you, only for me....

Old 05-20-2002 | 04:12 PM
Lightbulb intercooler pre-cooling

I have been spraying CO2 on my radiator & intercooler for quite awhile, now. I started just as an experiment on the intercooler. Very noticeable increase in power. I am currently working on a way to quantify the amounts versus results. You WILL notice a big increase in power & a drop in temperature(cooling temp.). CO2 compresses as a liquid,while discharging as a gas. Condensation(water/ice) is the by-product. Right now I am spraying before each run. There is too much weight involved with the cylinders to merit installing on vehicle. I am experimenting w/ a sealed system &/or accumulator to use by charging/filling at the track when needed.

Old 05-20-2002 | 04:19 PM
No, but I have considered adding a second IC radiator coil. It would be easy to series in with the other coil and provide twice the coil area.
DW

Old 05-20-2002 | 11:29 PM
I thought about buying this,
http://www.skspeed.com/viewpart.asp?sku=NEX20000

It's sprays N2O/ CO2 all out the ring, look pretty nice, I might get this soon

Old 05-21-2002 | 10:47 AM
Exclamation yeah it is

Originally posted by soap

--Joe
i'll second that one... your site is a little out there.. but thats cool

Old 05-21-2002 | 11:19 AM
Cold Gas

We have this spray at work, it is a propane-butane mix that sprays extremly cold gas. -35 f. I probaly wouldn't be a great idea to spray directly on the engine for fear of explosion. But in metel tubing running over the intercooler might work. my 2 cents

--Sam R.

by the way it is used to remove gum of carpet

Old 05-21-2002 | 11:29 AM
Re: intercooler pre-cooling

Originally posted by bluetooth
I have been spraying CO2 on my radiator & intercooler for quite awhile, now. I started just as an experiment on the intercooler. Very noticeable increase in power. I am currently working on a way to quantify the amounts versus results. You WILL notice a big increase in power & a drop in temperature(cooling temp.). CO2 compresses as a liquid,while discharging as a gas. Condensation(water/ice) is the by-product. Right now I am spraying before each run. There is too much weight involved with the cylinders to merit installing on vehicle. I am experimenting w/ a sealed system &/or accumulator to use by charging/filling at the track when needed.
YOU COULD use a tank from a paintball gun with a valve that you open and close, that would be really easy to mount and they arn't that big.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Fan and Water Mist