Lightning

Hood scoops. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood scoops. Please help

I was pondering getting a set of those Lund scoops awhile back, but was unsure of the look. That is, until today. Saw a new Lightning poser in person, that has the large ones on. Looking pretty good. Better in person than pics. But also was told that even if I made some cutouts to open air to the engine, it wouldn't be worth it due to the air flow aerodynamics. The air would hit the front of the hood by the grill, deflect off that and hit higher up towards the windshield, not even coming close to being sucked into the scoops.
But unitl I can affoard upwards of $1400(CDN) for the hood that I want, I'm thinking of the Lund scoops. I've seen a couple of L owners here that have them, and am wondering the following:

-Did you JUST paint the scoops, or did you paint booth the scoops and hood with some seam filler for where the scoops meets the hood?

-If you used a filler for the gap around the bottom, how well did the filled area stay painted? Any cracks in paint?

-For those who may have made them "functional". Did you notice any improvenments?

I always thought that if there were some plastic stuck onto metal, with a seam filler to fill the gap between them both, and then paint the entire deal, the paint would start to crack due to movement and flexing between the two materials. I don't want it to look cheesey and cracked up after awhile.
Also, not too crazy about having plastic just taped to the hood. Has anyone noticed any lift?
If ya'll could post some pics of your set up and add your opinions on the matter, I'd appreciate it greatly. Thx. Sorry about the long post.

Old 05-20-2002, 09:03 AM
This one is functional, and worth .20 in the 1/4 mile. Helps maintain outside air temp in intake at all times. Location of scoop opening is critical due to aerodynamics of the front end.
Hood Scoop

Old 05-20-2002, 11:25 AM
Old 05-20-2002, 04:00 PM
E3LilE8Harv29: So did you use any seam filler for where the scoop meats the hood? What size of gap is there if you were just to slap it onto the hood?
P.S.-Where in Canada are you, out of curiosity?

1BADTK: That's what I orginally had in mind to do. But with 2 scoops. How much xtra time did it take to cut the holes? When cutting the holes, did you have to repaint the area around the cut? Did cutting the hole chip or burn the pain around the cut?

Thx for the help guys. I'd like as much info that would help me out as possible. Thx in advance.

Old 07-30-2002, 11:19 PM
Here's my lastest pic. I think. I've never done this before. Here's hopin' for the best!

Last edited by LarryD; 08-02-2002 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:16 PM
I just had a shop paint and install them and I've had many oooh's and ahhh's. I like them. Probably even more from in the cab than from the outside.

Sorry, but .2 sec in 1/4 doesn't do it for me. Mine are just for looks. After buying the scoops and having someone else install them, it was less than $200. 1 tire cost that. (Or close to it.)

Last edited by LarryD; 08-02-2002 at 05:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Hood scoops. Please help