Lightning

Priming the oil system after an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002 | 02:41 PM
Re: Re: Longevity

Originally posted by '01ArrestMeRed

Yep. Mine will. I know how I drive & maintain it. I can't speak for anyone else.

How do you think Diesel trucks with a blower, turbo, 2 strokes and 4 strokes, can go 500,000 miles with minor maintenance ?
It is dependant on how they are driven and maintained. End of story.
--------------
Rick
Diesels are much more long lasting than gas engines, that's how. Lower RPM range, all sorts of differences. Apples to oranges comparo, my friend.

That said, I've seen high horsepower engines make it years without a rebuild. Thing is that when they finally went south, they did it pretty definitively...

Old 05-21-2002 | 02:47 PM
Thumbs down A bit sceptical

I don't think that spinning the crank, having the pistons, valves, etcs, goings up and down, slowly with no oil is any better than doing it much more rapidly. The engine builds pressure pretty fast when you just turn it on. I do drive mine before I change my oil though, not only to get the oil hot, but also so the truck won't idle at 1100 at startup.
Just fill the filter before you put it on and you'll be better off.
Jes

Old 05-21-2002 | 02:52 PM
Re: Re: Re: Longevity

Originally posted by SMJayman
Diesels are much more long lasting than gas engines, that's how. Lower RPM range, all sorts of differences. Apples to oranges comparo, my friend.

That said, I've seen high horsepower engines make it years without a rebuild. Thing is that when they finally went south, they did it pretty definitively...
Ask a trucking company that has big horsepower trucks how long their trucks would last with 10 different drivers, and rarely changing the oil & filters. I'll bet they tell you they last longer with 1 or 2 of the same, Good drivers, and regular maintenance.

Then, ask a big trucking company with detuned diesel trucks, multiple drivers, of varying experience........how long their trucks last? This means that without any horsepower, an idiot cannot usually blow them up.

As far as diesels being low RPM engines........I have an OHC (overhead camshaft) diesel that turns 5800 RPM's.

With that said............ Anyone can beat & blow up anything.........it takes no talent.

BTW, I fill my filter with oil. The truck gets Mobil1. The oil will still be on the rotating parts even after you drain the oilpan.

Last edited by '01ArrestMeRed; 05-21-2002 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2002 | 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Don's Bolt
I don't know if it helps or not, but I allways fill the filter up before I put it on.
DITTO, that filter sure does soak up allot of fluid huh! HEHEHEHEHE

Old 05-21-2002 | 03:01 PM
You're right Killa! I think I put an entire quart in mine last weekend!

Old 05-21-2002 | 09:10 PM
Any engine,especially a h/p engine, builds oil pressure in a matter of seconds with a new oil change. And that is without any oil in the filter.I own deisel trucks and we maintain them ourselves. I can tell you that a puny 3/4 of a quart of oil capacity won't do squat to a V-8 as far as a "prime" is concerned.Realize that the first place the oil goes to after exiting the filter is to the heads.The crank is already spinning in oil and the heads get the first drink.After that it goes back down through the lifters(already laced with older oil) and back down through the bearings and pan again.Cranking the motor without ignition really doesn't do much for making the engine last longer.Would you believe that a good running motor can run for up to 10 minutes without oil!! I've seen it (and not on those infomercials either) Anyway these and most any engine with proper oil and filter changes will go running smoothly for longer than anyone on this site will keep their L's..well atleast until a better one comes along!!

Old 05-22-2002 | 09:02 AM
You cannot build up meaningful/useful oil pessure at 'cranking rpms' . Cranking the eng without letting it start is doing more potential harm than achieving an immediate start-up.

Fill the filter(for peace of mind mostly per Mondo 1) and start it up! Useful/protective oil pressure is almost instantaneous.

And...... this is another reason why we should all be using a full-synthetic oil as it remains on the metal surfaces much longer than dino oils and therefore, leeds to less problems associated with 'dry-start-ups'.

Dan

Last edited by LIGHTNINROD; 05-22-2002 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Priming the oil system after an oil change