Lightning

Ran my truck today and guess what? MY TRANNY IS BROKE AGAIN!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002 | 09:33 PM
|
Angry Ran my truck today and guess what? MY TRANNY IS BROKE AGAIN!!!!!!

Well I went to the track today and finally made some passes and all I can say is DAMN!

On the way there my belt on my blower ripped off 2 ribs and that was that, so right off the bat I was running on a 6 rib belt(GREAT). Ok so its still going to work with that so lets do it. So I put my slicks on and threw some ice in the intercooler for the hell of it and ran her hot. With no juice my first run was a 12.273 @ 111.23 MPH. With a 1.697 60 foot, GREAT a new best without juice and even faster then with the juice with my 12.28 run. SO I was happy with that, and I didn't even get my RPMs up that high, about 1500 I think I was at.

So I got back to the pits and cooled it off and installed my new traction bars. Got done and iced it all up and went off to make another pass. Did my burnout and pulled up to the light. This time I had my RPMS at about 2600 and I was sitting great when my truck slide over the line and I red lit. The front tires where lock up but I red lit, so I went with it and the truck just took off like a bat out of hell (much harder then my first run). Right away I knew I had my 11 second run cause it felt so GOOD!!!! well My truck went to shift into second and it slipped and went to chit. The tranny went out and I let off it and coasted down the track the rest of the way and still went 17's, HAHAHAHHAHA.

So I'm getting done and I pull off the strip and I here this loud whining noise and my truck won't shift from 1st gear until I ge the RPM's past 3000 and I have to let off the gas for it to finally engage. So right away I was so pissed off!!!!

Does anyone know if that might be my converter or my tranny that went south? second gear shift and 3rd and 4th are perfect but first is crap now. I have a brand new Monster box from greg and a brand new Precision converter with a 2600 stall in it. both of them have less then 500 miles on them and this was the first time at the track for the two piece's. I don't know what it is, but its something in the tranny and I'm so pissed off that this happened again. Its bad enough that I have to pull it out, but now I have to travel down to greg if its the tranny and send my converter back to PI if its that. HOW DO I KNOW WHAT IT IS?

All in all I had fun running my fastest pass ever without juice and a screwed up belt that wasn't worth a crap. Hopefully I can get this fixed before cordova now. Anybody want to help me out? HAHAHAHHAHAHA.

Old 05-21-2002 | 09:42 PM
Its the tranny, not the converter. Somebody has to build strong trannies for these things... friend of mine has already blown up two Level 10s, not sure who else has anything better.

Old 05-21-2002 | 09:45 PM
I worked on a 01L today at work that doesnt have a 2nd gear, he described it kinda like you did. It will shift from 1st to 3rd, to 4th. and if you try to put it in man. 2nd, it whines real bad. If you are in 3rd or 4th and give it enough throttle for it to try to downshift to 2nd, it neutrals out. We had the NGS on it and the PCM was commanding 2nd, so we think the one way roller is busted. It will be torn down tomm. so i can see what exactly it is. Drive it real easy through the gears and see if it fits what i just described, if not, tell me what it does.

Old 05-21-2002 | 09:45 PM
AAAAh!

That sux man ! nice run tho.. Sounds to me like maby a Clutch we on you.......? Who no's hope it ant bad !

Old 05-21-2002 | 09:53 PM
Sorry about the bad luck. Kinda worries me. I just put my PI converter in.(2400 stall from JDM) If the converter was bad wouldn't there be a problem throughout the gears? My gen 1 lightning had a bad tranny and the only problem was between 1 and 2. Aside from the tranny problems that have just occured, what do you think made the biggest difference in lowering your et. I am curious because I am thinking of getting the monster box tranny. My truck has 32,000 hard miles on it and I have been having a hard time getting any faster. New it ran a 13.7 which is about average for that year, but the bolt-ons don't seem to be getting the gains they should. Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks. Jason
PS sweet *** truck you have!!

Old 05-21-2002 | 09:54 PM
Cool Intermediate Oneway Clutch

Joe,
Sorry to hear what happened to your new rebuilt tranny,as you know this happened to me right after i installed the upgraded clutch kit also and by what you are describing it sounds the same as what i felt.Your problem is most likely a intermediate oneway clutch that has rollers went bad on you,the rest of your tranny should be fine and saved just need to replace that part on a rebuild and you should be good to go!

Matt

Old 05-21-2002 | 09:58 PM
|
Dude this was a Built to CHIT tranny. supposed to be the best out there so its got to be some kind of mistake and it can't be a from wear and tear. Maybe greg was checking out my girl to much and he did mess up, HEHEHEHEHEHEHE Just kiding greg.

Thats just fantastic!!!!!

I was thinking tranny over converter too, cause if it was the converter it would be bad threw all the gears.

Well greg if you reading this, E-mail me and tell me what you want me to do about it.

Old 05-21-2002 | 10:06 PM
Talking

Gee, what a surprise. OVER 33K on my trans with a 2400 stall JDM converter and line mod and NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM.

Did you have your chip reprogrammed for the correct lock-up and engagement with that converter ??? If that isn't dead on you'll always have problems with transmissions Joe. I also hope you didn't over fill the trans. and burn it up.

P.S. I ran a 12.38 @ Rt.66 a few weeks back on drag radials and full weight. Street chip my man.

Old 05-21-2002 | 10:07 PM
My tranny would not shift into 2nd gear till the rpms hit above 3000. Made a buzzing sound. Ended up being the 1st to 2nd sprag gear.

Old 05-21-2002 | 10:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your tranny Joe. I think the tranny and the rods are both weak links!

Old 05-21-2002 | 10:16 PM
|
Originally posted by SVTRobG
Gee, what a surprise. OVER 33K on my trans with a 2400 stall JDM converter and line mod and NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM.

Did you have your chip reprogrammed for the correct lock-up and engagement with that converter ??? If that isn't dead on you'll always have problems with transmissions Joe. I also hope you didn't over fill the trans. and burn it up.

P.S. I ran a 12.38 @ Rt.66 a few weeks back on drag radials and full weight. Street chip my man.

Rob I thank you for your support and the day you run faster then me is when you can brag to me, HEHEHEHEHEHE. Either way, I'm still faster then you . No flame intended.

My chip was supposed to be calibrated for a 2600 stall thats on my converter, but who knows if precision really sent me a 2600 stall converter? I don't know what caused it but its not fun!

Old 05-21-2002 | 10:26 PM
maybe your girl did it,,, she's got a sinister look to her,, probably sabatoged your truck,,, thats got to be the whole reason she didn't feel comfortable to drive it like you said in your other post,,, its got to be all her fault dude,, you should dump her right off the bat for messing with your truck like that. lol,, just spitting stupid ideas out,, sorry

~Toast

Old 05-21-2002 | 10:29 PM
Do you know if he used the mechanical diode(clicker)type intermediate sprag or the roller type? The clickers work awesome in AOD transmissions but they tend to break in 4R100s.Just curious.I build transmissions for a living and have seen several Powerstroke trucks break them.Powerstrokes are known as the torque monsters but most of these Lightnings (like yours)are meking even more torque .I seriously doubt it is the converter.

Old 05-21-2002 | 10:35 PM
Boy ,its a good thing you didnt go to WFC !!!!!!

Old 05-21-2002 | 10:37 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
seeeeee

Now if you would have gone to St. Louis and went booom, Gregg would have been onsite and might have hooked ya up, or something.

sorry for your bad luck Killa

Quick Reply: Ran my truck today and guess what? MY TRANNY IS BROKE AGAIN!!!!!!