Lightning

Need help with truck tracks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002 | 11:26 AM
|
Need help with truck tracks...

Hey:

Installed my truck-tracks last night. Having a couple of issues.

I have seen a couple of posts where people said the snubber should be 'lined up' with some part of the spring in particular, but I can't find those posts. Anyone know?

Passenger side:

This one's snubber is about 1 and 3/4" down from the spring. It is very difficult to line up the snubber where it won't hit the rivet on the spring and also have the front of the bar clear the exhaust bracket.

Anyone else have this problem?

Is the snubber so far down it won't do anything?

Also, it seems like the thing moves forward on the spring while I am driving. It has already moved and had the front of the bar bind against the exhaust clamp once. Is 40 ft. lbs enough or am I doing something else wrong?

The driver's side truck track snubber is 2" below the spring is this too far down? What can I do about that?

Thanks for any help

Steve

PS Also installed JDMs cold air kit. It worked out pretty well. Can't tell if it makes any more power, but I can hear the blower a little bit under minor accelleration. Thumbs up.

Old 05-22-2002 | 11:53 AM
I just installed mine last Saturday... Did you follow the directions and start 6 3/4 inches from rear of the axle tube? The snubber will be very close to the spring rivet but will clear. I had to adjust approx 1/2 inch to clear it.. I torqued mine down to probably 60 lbs( i always seem to overtighten things). Do you have stock exhaust, mine clears by plenty.. Make sure they are centered on the springs also, and put the flat washer on first....

hope this helps..JR

Old 05-22-2002 | 12:14 PM
Re: Need help with truck tracks...

Originally posted by LXguy1
Passenger side:

This one's snubber is about 1 and 3/4" down from the spring. It is very difficult to line up the snubber where it won't hit the rivet on the spring and also have the front of the bar clear the exhaust bracket.

Anyone else have this problem?

Is the snubber so far down it won't do anything?

Also, it seems like the thing moves forward on the spring while I am driving. It has already moved and had the front of the bar bind against the exhaust clamp once. Is 40 ft. lbs enough or am I doing something else wrong?

The driver's side truck track snubber is 2" below the spring is this too far down? What can I do about that?
For lining them up you can either slide the bar forward or backward on the leaf spring or just move the snubber to a different hole (their should be 3)

As for the spacing I ordered the spacer kit the Jay sells. Just get it you will need it, then are too far from the spring if you don't.

Mine never moved forward. I keep a close eye on them because the clearance between the front of the bar and my Bassani is minimal at best. I actually have the front U-bolt all the way against the axle housing

Hope this helps....Joe

Old 05-22-2002 | 12:38 PM
LXguy1

Steve,

You will need to position the snubber just in front of the little plastic spring insulator. If it hits the exhaust clamp, you are probably not centered across the spring width. If so, you an reposition the clamp towards the drivers side of the clamp slighty. That should be enough clearance.

Are you using the stock exhaust?

If both bars are the same distance front to rear, there should not be a large variation in snubber to spring clearance. If there is, sometiing else may be amiss. If you need to see some pictures, try this link. [http://www.truck-traks.com/pictures.html].

The ideal snubber/spring distance for street driving, I feel is 1 1/4-1 1/2" is best. If you have much more, email me , and I can solve that problem. I have tested the snubber contact several times. At the track, with 1 1/4" clearance, they stayed in contact with the spring the whole length of the 1/8 mile track. On the street, with F-1's that equals about 75 MPH.

I have had my Truck-Traks on my truck since last September. They are torqued to 40 ft. lbs., and have traveled 25,000 miles across this torture test, that they call LA roads and highways. Mine have NEVER moved at all. 40 ft. lbs should be sufficient, but you can go higher, and no harm will be done to the u-bolts of Truck-Traks.

Keep me posted.

Quick Reply: Need help with truck tracks...