Lightning

Just bought '99 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought '99 Lightning

I wanted a truck, and it was between a Supercrew or a Lightning. Space...Power...Space...Power...Space...POWER!!! So I went with the Lightning.

My L's a 99 with nearly 50K on the clocks. Its had a Prow Flow MAF, JBA shorty headers, and Flowmasters put on by the previous owner.

What are the typical reliability issures (with the '99 in particular) that I should watch out for. Its got a 75K mile warranty that I'm working on getting transferred right now.

Also, how reliable have the chip and 4# boost increase been. I just started lurking (if you can call it that) for a day on this board. There sure are a lot of fast trucks out there.

99 White Lite

Old 05-22-2002, 05:01 PM
I can't answer your questions but I just wanted to say welcome to the group. I got my 99 (20K miles) about 2 weeks ago it belonged to someone on this board who traded it in on a Blackwood.

Old 05-22-2002, 05:06 PM
Make sure you get the intercooler replaced. Or is it leaking yet? Do you know how to tell? if not ask away, use the search and/or FAQ.

Old 05-22-2002, 06:35 PM
Good choice!!!

As a fellow '99er I welcome you to the group.

The '99's are good trucks. Fast, reliable, and good looking. Here are some things you wanna do if the previous owner hasn't:

Get the intercooler replaced by Ford. It's good insurance for the future, and it also makes a few hp, too. When it goes in for the intercooler, they may or may not re-flash your processor. Mine got the reflash. I think it depends on your build date, but I'm not sure. Almost everyone within the first 2000 units has gotten theirs re-flashed as far as I know. I'm #1558. You also want the shocks updated with the Bilstiens from and '01 Lightning. Helps the handling greatly.

At 50k you are coming up on some important maintenance services that you'll wanna do. Use only MotorCraft filters. Only use the recommended fluids. Those who have deviated have posted their horror stories. . .We'd hate for you to be one, too.
Helpful hint: start looking for the replacement filters and/or parts well in advance of when you need to use them. Often times they are ordered items only- or worse, dealer only. Check your spark plugs regulaly to make sure they are tight. They tend to back out from time to time causing some pretty dramatic events.

Other than that- have a ball. Pullies and chips all work wonders for these trucks. Best bang for the buck- the Factory Tech valve body replacement and Truck-Tracs traction bars.

Again- welcome aboard and feel free to post questions about anything. Detailing, transmission, engine, suspension, chips, engine, dress-up, audio, and anything really.

Talk to you later,

Old 05-22-2002, 06:38 PM
I'm a 99 also, excelent color choice!!!

Old 05-22-2002, 06:55 PM
How come all the cool guys drive white 99 Lightnings. Including myself.

Old 05-22-2002, 07:38 PM
Thumbs up Welcome to the two new guys..

A Lightning was the 'right' choice!

Btw, a few(?) 99s have had a fuel hose come loose from one or both of the fuel pumps in the fuel tank. Just remember this if all of a sudden it starts to slooooow down.

Everybody is willing to help.

Dan

Old 05-23-2002, 07:42 AM
Hey Guys, what about the infamous 'clunk'??? 99 White Lite, the drivers side lower a arm bolt that attaches the a-arm to the frame may come loose on you. Can make an awful racket when turning. Have that checked out and fixed as well. Alignment would be a good thing to have done if it is loose.

Old 05-23-2002, 09:02 AM
Welcome! Another 99 white L here! Just wanted to add to the list, check for any cracks on the roof gutters(I think that's what there are called) because I have to take my truck back to the dealer for the 3rd time on this same issue. I would also have my coils checked out also, I had 2 of mine replaced already and my truck has 26,000mi. If I remember anything else I'll let you guys know!

Old 05-23-2002, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm checking to see if the intercooler got replaced. With 50K miles, I have to believe it had to of leaked by now. I've also heard the clunk and seen the title for the TSB dealing with the clunk, but haven't had a chance to check out the contents of the TSB.

What about Prow Flow MAF's? I've always been real leary of aftermarket MAF's. They seem to work well, or not at all, and not neccessarily because they were from a bad manufacturer. Even the "good" one's had problems on Mustangs.

Old 05-23-2002, 01:31 PM
99's (red) was the best year welcome!

my .02

Old 05-23-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Shorty
How come all the cool guys drive white 99 Lightnings. Including myself.
Because:

1. White is the Rarest. (Undisputeable fact)
2. White is the Coolest (temp-wise) color. (Undisputeable fact)
3. Owners of White '99 L's are well aware of undisputable facts #1 & #2, and act accordingly. Cool.

Now #3 may very well be disputeable, but since there has been no undisputeable evedince to the contrary brought before the ALL WHITE '99 LIGHTNING OWNER COOLNESS DISPUTE COMMITTEE, then the disputeable fact remains . . .well. . .undisputed as yet. <pant><pant>

Say that 5 times fast. . .

Last edited by WrongdayJ; 05-23-2002 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2002, 04:21 PM
Welcom you made the right choice on the color and year (99) you will love it
Harry

Old 05-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Come on now guys, stop lying to the fellow. everyone knows red is by far the coolest color. j/k lol

BTW wrongdayj,

Very interesting 3 points you have, actually does make sense.

Old 05-23-2002, 05:17 PM
Cool Silver

Hey, I thought my Silver 2000 L was the cat's meow, what am I supposed to do now, repaint the thing some crazy color that nobody has, wait a minute, that sounds like a great idea, thanks for the idea, John H.

Quick Reply: Just bought '99 Lightning