Lightning

Oil in intake boot problem SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002 | 01:14 AM
|
Oil in intake boot problem SOLVED

I have been testing a filter system to keep the oil out of the intake boot and blower inlet. It works very well.

There are no breathers or chip programming required. It is a hardware store fix. I will post more tomorrow, as it's late.

Old 05-24-2002 | 01:18 AM
Yep, works great, I have a smaller filter on my truck . . .

The LS1 guys have been running them for years. It's amazing what you can find in the air compressor accessory section @ Home Depot.

Old 05-24-2002 | 05:07 AM
post an update?

hey Jman post an update ,this looks promising.

Old 05-24-2002 | 06:27 AM
If that works as well as your bars...............then thats a great idea PS... Now that Iam in the middle of a major home remodeling project, I spend 1/3 of my life in Home Depot

Old 05-24-2002 | 09:56 AM
Jay/Flash,
Are you guys running both breather lines into it?

Old 05-24-2002 | 11:36 AM
|
Oil in the boot- part one.

Ok, here's the scoop.

Some of you know that I have been testing a filter to try and keep oil out of the intake boot on our trucks. I did a three part test. I put the filter in the drivers side PCV system for a week, and no oil. Same with the passengers side PCV tube that goes to the rubber intake boot. Still no oil. So those are not going to cause us any problems.

The oil is coming from the passangers side PCV where it plugs into the fitting behind the IAC. It runs down the inlet casting to the blower, and out of the throttle body. When you light off the truck, it flows all over the throttle blades. That's why I wanted to test the lines going to the intake boot.

I think the reason that the oil flows up into the top of the blower is twofold.

First, is that that is an area if high vacuum. If you wind up the engine to high RPM, then slam the throttle blades closed, there is going to be al lot of vacuum present. You have the blower spinning at a very high RPM, and no way for air to get in. Literally, that is the only opening. It sucks hard on that PCV system. You guys with bigger pulleys will have higher vacuum and a bigger problem, due to the blower spinning faster.

Second, is that the blower will still pull some vacuum in that area under boost. When you are under boost, you will also get some blowby, but I do not think that this is the major cause. It appears that that PCV valve is taking direct oil splash off of the cams. In doing so, vacuum is pulling all the oil up there. I have seen the same thing happen in some of my street engines that I have run crankcase vacuum pumps on. You have to really baffle the valve covers well.

I've got to run out. Be bach shortly with the fix.

Old 05-24-2002 | 12:59 PM
|
Ok, here's what I did. Like FlashSVT said, you can purchase all the stuff at Home Depot.

The working part of the system is the filter unit. It can be purchased from Home Depot in the air compressor/paint department. It is a compressed air filter that you would put in front of a spray gun to filter moisture out of the air. I bought mine from an industrial pueumatics store for the following reasons.

First, I wanted a larger unit that flows and stores more volume. It is specifically designed for filtering oil, and works under vacuum. Mine has 3/4 pipe inlet and outlet, a metal shield over the bowl. It has a quick change bowl with a reusable filter. It costs about $60. I think a 1/2" unit will be sufficient.

Second, I already had this one, so I used it.

The rest was literally purchased from Home Depot. I bought 5/8" heater hose, as it is more flexable than PCV hose. The inlet fitting is a 5/8" x 3/4 pipe plastic straight fitting. The outlet is a right angle. I used three 5/8" plastic barbed couplings and a few hose clamps.

I also got a couple of pre-formed 5/8 hoses from Kragen Auto to make the installation a little more streamlined. I realize that heater hose will eventually break down under the oil, so now that it is proven to work, I will do it in braided steel and AN fittings.

Silver, it is not necessary to filter both sides. The drivers side PCV never sees high vacuum, like the pass side.

I'll start posting pictures in my gallery now.

I hope this helps out. I never liked the idea of putting an open breather on my truck. Those things always fill with oil and run down onto the exhaust.

Old 05-24-2002 | 01:36 PM
Jay:

'Where' in the PCV valve tube did you tap in? Between the PCV and the 'T' for the rear manifold tube I would think?

Won't any hose but braided or PCV hose collapse under high vacuum? (This is for the guys that will try heater hose, etc.)

Are you reusing the 'passed' oil by pouring it back in the oil filler?

Great idea and follow-through!

Dan

Old 05-24-2002 | 01:53 PM
|
Dan, I just pulled the PCV hose off of the top fitting above the "T".
That's where all the oil is entering the blower inlet tube. Check the pictures in my gallery. I am filtering all the PCV air that comes out of the passengers side valve cover and the bottom of the intake manifold (t fitting).

So far, heater hose works. Since there is nothing actually closed, and there is still air flow, the hose is not collapsing. That would probably throw a code if it did. No codes in 5 weeks of testing.

I am just dumping the oil. I think the large amount of oil that I started with was due to a lot in the lines. It has subsided substantually in the last few days.

Old 05-24-2002 | 07:09 PM
DB
What a great fix! Thanks Jay for the details.

Old 05-25-2002 | 06:07 AM
Thumbs up if you sell the kit?

Jman if you come up with the complete kit and braided hoses let me know i would purchase one from you that is ready to set up on a 2001 L ,provided you don;t price it to high? let me /us know.thanks mike..

Quick Reply: Oil in intake boot problem SOLVED