Lightning

Questions, Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions, Questions....

Ok, I just need a little advice from those of you that beat the tar out of your trucks daily. First, lemme say I love my truck, so much so that in 9 months, I have put 19K miles on it!! I have run Mobil 1 5W-30 pure synthetic since I hit 3K miles. To date I have only had the usual problems, fog lamps cracked and quit working, windows clunk when rolling the up at highway speeds, and the sqeaky pulling when engine is cold. Other than those problems, my truck is perfect.

I am now noticing that the brakes feel a little spungy, but Ford says there is nothing wrong, and that they have more than 50% pad life left (hard to believe in ATL traffic). So my first question is has anyone had brakes last 20K miles?? I have no shaking in the front on braking or anything like that, no smoke, and no sqealing while braking.

My next question is should I change the plugs now?? And if so, what plugs should I use? The truck is totally stock at the moment. I plan to go to the friday night grudge matches tonight at the atlanta dragway, and don't want any problems. The last time I ran there, the truck posted a 13.54 with the seats in, the tail gate on, the spare in, and some wheel spin at the line. I hope to cut that to 13.3 tonight by removing the two 10" speakers, the passenger seat, the spare time, and the tail gate. Does that time sound possible, given the weight reduction??

Thanks for the help, maybe soon I will start mod'ing the truck, but I still have tons of warranty left

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2002, 12:02 PM
Check your fluid level.... I had breaks last 90K miles on my 94' Silverado! Ford doesn't use wear indicators like GM on the front pads. I have almost 24K miles on my 01 L with no problems with breaks. I always inspect my front pads when doing a tire rotation every 5K miles. IMO, I'd really watch close getting toward 50K miles cuz if they start to grind, it's too late.... time for roters.

Where in Atl are you? I'm in Lawrenceville.

Scott

Old 05-24-2002, 12:13 PM
Spudbolt, I am in Dunwoody as of today, before then I lived in woodstock Are you going to the friday night grudge matches tonight at the atlanta dragway??

Old 05-24-2002, 12:30 PM
Exuviae,

No... I've got other plans for the evening. One of these days I'll make it out there though.

Scott

Old 05-24-2002, 12:42 PM
Change you brake fluid. Time, heat, and moisture are the enimies of brake fluid. Needs to be changed on a regular basis. As the fluid absorbs moisture the pedal will start to feel spongy.

Old 05-24-2002, 01:43 PM
What Silver-Bolt said....... I have 28,200 miles on my 01 and they're feeling a little spongy. My brake fluid has done from a clear, amber color to a medium-dark tan...................

Dan

Quick Reply: Questions, Questions....