Lightning

Anyone do their own install of The Silver Bullet Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002 | 11:06 PM
|
Anyone do their own install of The Silver Bullet Exhaust?

If so, how did it go?? Assuming the right tools and space, about how long did it take? Was it straightforward, and a good, tight, SOLID fit? How difficult was it to get the stock exhaust off?

I am not really experienced with engines and stuff........i mean, i will do oil changes and tune ups on my daily drivers, but as much as i've done is headers and exhaust on a Subaru Impreza 2.5 liter flat engine........You think a inexperienced guy can hack it?

JC

Old 05-30-2002 | 11:10 PM
Yes.Installed it on a buddys truck.Its easy with tools.Everything fit right up.Getting the old setup off is the tricky part.An oxy-acetylene torch helps if you have access.

Old 05-30-2002 | 11:10 PM
I have watched Shaun make the silver bullets. He hand fits each system to Justin's truck, so it will bolt right in for you.

All you will have to do is remove the stock system, and bolt the new system on. All you will need is a few sockets, maybee a hammer to remove the stock muffler.

Old 05-30-2002 | 11:16 PM
|
What in the blue hell is a oxy-acetylene torch? I can pretty much guarantee that I don't have access or know anyone with one of those.........

I guess it is safe to say that it's rather hard to get the stock exhaust off, and that it will not be reusable ever again??

JC

Old 05-30-2002 | 11:20 PM
Not at all.You can get the old off with a big hammer.Forget the torch.You can do this and you'll be glad you did.Ask Uncle Nick in Miami to help you.He'll be all over it.(he has a lift too)

Old 05-30-2002 | 11:22 PM
|
cool............who's Uncle Nick??

JC

Old 05-30-2002 | 11:25 PM
Old 05-30-2002 | 11:29 PM
I don't have a lift but I can help some what. I put the Borla on mine and can help you take the old one out, I took it out and it's still in one piece. I'm even gonna sell it soon, just need to find a box.....anyways, miami if you need help I got some tools, a jack, and a big garage we can do it in if you want. E-mail me BriCJ13@aol.com if you want some help.

Brian

Old 05-30-2002 | 11:32 PM
Aren't Florida guys the best?

Old 05-30-2002 | 11:43 PM
|
Thanks guys..............I just bought a 3-ton jack and jackstands for $50 at Sears, and I'm dying to use them for something other than an oil change on my Tbird

I was thinking of just having Paul install it for me, but the fun part with mods is being able to do some of it yourself........gives you that sense of accomplishment, and learning something (yes I know it's an exhaust, and not open-heart surgery, but you gotta start somewhere right?)

I might have to take you up on that Pembroke Pines Garage buddy.........my driveway in Hialeah (where it's always raining), may become a problem.

I'll be ordering the exhaust as soon as my billing cycle on my credit card is up, so I can get an extra 30 days for free.......LOL....we'll be in touch

JC

Old 05-31-2002 | 10:08 AM
Replacing the cat back is easy.

1. unbolt u-joints connecting the muffler to the downpipes
2. use wd-40 and remove 2 of the 3 hangers near the tipes
3. remove old muffler - mine was easy since it blew off almost every 1/4 mile pass, so all I did was apply some pressure. But it you can't do that either a decent size rubber mallet will work. If that doesn't work then prop yourself under the truck, find a good grip towards the front, place you feet on the muffler and push with you legs.
4. remove the last hanger and completely remove the muffler.
5. slide the new muffler on
6. connect the two longer hangers to help hold the muffler up
7. remove the 3rd gromet and put it on the tips hanger, it's much easier this way.
8. put the tips on and the put the gromet on the hanger
9. now it's time to positions everything. Since the tips are big and the whole system expands when it heats up you want everything pushed up as far as possible.
10. when everything is in position, tighten tighten tighten tighten

whole process should be less then 1 hour depending how quick the old muffler is removed.

Old 05-31-2002 | 10:59 AM
suggestion

i would have it welded if i were you i have had mine blow off twice so far im getting it welded today so i wont have to deal with it any more not sure if im just not getting it on the pipes good enough or not clamping it down enough?????
a little weld should hjold it. it sounds sweet for sure cant wait to get the whole meal deal

Quick Reply: Anyone do their own install of The Silver Bullet Exhaust?