Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002 | 05:43 PM
NO NOISE

year 2002 picked up Feb 4
bulit ? Dec- Jan

I changed the oil @ 800 miles to mobil 1 5w-30 full sythetic
no problmes

changed it again @ 2500 miles same stuff w/Motorcraft filter
still no prblems @ 3500miles very very slight piston slap when cold but hey there forged pistons they do this when cold ever here a ZO6 vette start when its cold same chit....

Well now its warm out and I have no problems except for car wash scratched my qtr panel need to rub it out....lol

Slick

Old 06-02-2002 | 05:47 PM
Hmmmm...I did have my local oil change place change my oil as I watched (I work at least 60 hours a week and really have no time). I go there cause they carry mobil 1 and royal purple....I opted for the purple cause it was the only thing available in 5-20. They put in a bit more more than 6 quarts....at my request..... and it is not even at the top of the fill mark (about at the top of the ridge marks on the stick. Hmmmm...I am wondering if this "rattling" has something to do with oil quantity. Oil type and filter should not be causing this. Mine rattles all the time now at idle...hot or cold. Driving me nuts cause it sounds like a diesel....not real loud mind you but I can hear it. Hmmmm......

Old 06-02-2002 | 08:47 PM
Question Oil Change

You guys are scaring the hell out of me, my truck is due for its first oil change right now. Im just wondering if its going to start making funny noises after I change the oil?????????

Larry.

Old 06-02-2002 | 09:14 PM
Royal Purple is available at www.jegs.com.

There are two 'types' of RP--street(OEM) oil and racing oil. As far as I know, only the racing oil comes in the 5W20 viscosity.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...05&prmenbr=361

I put Motorcraft 5W20 in at 1,000 miles with the Ford filter. At 4,000 miles I put in Royal Purple #11(5W20) Racing Oil and used the K&N Gold oil filter. I continue to do this(RP) at about every 5-6,000 miles. I have always pre-filled the filter. The correct quantity is 6 quarts--doesn't matter where it shows on the dipstick, but usually it's in the half-way area.

I also add www.dynosurge.com anti-friction metal treatment at every oil change.

Now, I'm not saying this is the 'only'way to avoid noise and trouble but it has worked for my L. It's an 01 with 28,900 miles on it, 5 dyno pulls, many 1/4 mile passes. I have no noises or measureable oil useage.

Dan

Last edited by LIGHTNINROD; 06-02-2002 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2002 | 09:34 PM
Do yall think it's just a coincidence that these first oil changes seem to be with between 800-1500 miles on the trucks. I personally waited until 3000 miles and have always had my dealer take care of the oil change. I have a 2001 with 18000miles and quite a few of those are either 1/8th or 1/4 mile at a time. I still use motorcraft 5w20 and factory replacement filter and have NEVER had any problems. I just wonder if the motor isn't getting broken in enough before your oil changes... I also won't say any names, but I asked my TUNER what oil to use and they recommended staying with the factory stuff.. Good Luck.

Old 06-02-2002 | 10:01 PM
|
From what i've heard, i've also heard that the factory oil is just about the best out there from people as well, which is why I used Motorcraft 5w30. The guy at the dealership even told me that the 5w20 thing is utter bullcrap. If I am using factory oil, what would it have to do with engine noise during oil changes? There is no longer any special type of "break-in" oil that manufacturers use during the factory fill anymore, except for Honda which uses a special break-in oil on thier S2000.

Old 06-02-2002 | 10:22 PM
I agree....I firmly believe (and I am a mechanic) that the type of oil you use is not really as important as how often you change it but we are getting off the subject I guess. I am still curious as to WHY this rattle noise started and if it has more to do with oil level. I honestly think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my truck as it runs very strong. I also realize that I will keep an eye on things and if necessary take it to the dealer to have them look at it. I am going to give it some time to see if it goes away as some people on this board have described.....I am looking for some peace of mind because this is an EXPENSIVE truck and I want to make sure all is well. I am determined to find out the cause of this, hehe.

Old 06-02-2002 | 10:30 PM
|
If you find out what it is first, let me know so that my mind will be at peace. I really don't care, but it is kinda annoying, but at least mine goes away after driving it for a few miles. If we think this hammer/thud/piston slap, or whatever noise is bad, you guys should visit ls1.com and search around. I just did and it's pretty amazing how many of the 2001-2002 LS1 guys are having this wierd noise. I just hope that nothing is getting damaged as a result of this noise.

Old 06-02-2002 | 11:02 PM
I changed the oil in my 02 at 1000 miles. Used motorcraft FL-820S and Castrol 5W-30 Synthetic Blend. Did not pre fill filter. Put in exactly 6 quarts. Now has 3000 and never has knocked or rattled.

Old 06-02-2002 | 11:09 PM
My 2002: at 2500 miles -

had it changed at the Dealer for fear of the "rattle" and NO rattle.

Old 06-03-2002 | 12:07 AM
Ok, here's a guess..

I noticed my factory fill was a nasty green color, nothing like regular used oil. I assume it's all the assembly lubes they use. Maybe the lubes are keeping bad enignes quiet until it's drianed out and regular oil is put in. Sorta like the guys putting gear oil in old cars to sell them with knocking engines. It may have nothing to do with the oil or filter.

For the record, I changed mine myself at 800 miles and mine is rattle free at 30K. I used some name brand 5w30 and a Ford filter (820S?).

Old 06-03-2002 | 08:18 AM
|
Question

What's interesting, is that on my truck, this diesel rattle type noise doesn't go away when it warms up, it just quiets down. I just can't understand why an oil change would cause it to do that. I am debating trying to ditch the Mobil 1 filter and put a Motorcraft FL820S on there, but I see that some of you guys with the diesel type noise are using the motorcraft filter as well...................

Old 06-03-2002 | 09:09 AM
This issue has been posted about numerous times since I started reading this board over a year ago and a solid answer has never been reached. The best conclusion I have read was posted by Franck S. See below-

"What you're hearing is the factory "friction reducing" coating that has come off the pistons. When you change your oil it goes with the oil. All it is is the forged pistons in there slapping a little until the engine gets 1/2 way warm. Switch to 10W30 and it should go away. Mine did anyway. 5w20 & 5W30 is too thin for these engines, IMO. I think Sal posted this info a few months ago. The 5W-20 is just so Ford can increase their CAFE standards a small bit."

Mine did not go away after trying 10w30, it only went away after I went the dealer to get it documented and they changed the oil. Go figure.

Here is the link to that thread which is about 5 pages long on this issue.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

Old 06-03-2002 | 09:21 AM
Originally posted by 2000 F150 4x4
Ok, here's a guess..

I noticed my factory fill was a nasty green color, nothing like regular used oil. I assume it's all the assembly lubes they use. Maybe the lubes are keeping bad enignes quiet until it's drianed out and regular oil is put in. Sorta like the guys putting gear oil in old cars to sell them with knocking engines. It may have nothing to do with the oil or filter.
I believe what you are seeing is a dye they use at the factory to check for oil leaks with a blacklight...

Jim

Old 06-03-2002 | 10:19 AM
Mine: marbles
Model year: 02
Month of manufacture: I'll have to check
Present mileage: 6000
First oil change: at 800 miles
Oil: Pennzoil 5W-20
Amount: 5.7qt
Filter: Motorcraft FL820S
Prefilled filter: yes
Performance Mods: none

1st oil change (800 miles, filled filter) - Rattled
2nd oil change (3K miles, did not fill filter) - Rattled
3rd oiil change (6K miles, filled filter) - No rattle

I haven't heard the truck rattle in a few weeks now. The temps have been warmer, so that might be part of the problem. I typically don't need the full 6 qts. of oil. I keep adding until the dipstick shows full.

Quick Reply: 1st oil change, and guess what??? GRRRRRR