Lightning

1st oil change, and guess what??? GRRRRRR

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002 | 11:59 AM
Me too

Old 06-05-2002 | 12:44 PM
I guess one thing you could do is take it to the dealer for the first oil change. Before you release it to the service manager, have him and another mechanic come out and listen to the engine. Have them mark "Engine makes no rattling noises" on the service ticket. After you get your truck back, have them come over, start the truck, and listen to it again. If it makes any unusual noises, take your copy of the ticket, whip out a cell phone, and call SVT. Tell them your dealer damaged your engine and you want them to replace it. Do not drive the truck off the lot. Leave it with them until your engine is replaced.

Otherwise, you could just cross your fingers and follow what's written in the SVT owner's supplement regarding oil and filter. If you have any problems, at least you followed the 'letter of the law'.

I still don't have any answer about this. It doesn't seem to follow any definite pattern WRT oil/filter/mileage. People say it's assembly lube being washed out, but then why do so many of us have NO noises? Why have some been able to eliminate it with different oil? Why have others had it go away?

It almost appears as-if it's something like the notorious exhaust hanger problems. Hmmmm.....

Old 06-05-2002 | 12:49 PM
|
Okay, I just got back from the dealership, and I had the service department manager look over the rattle noise issue in my vehicle. He told me not to worry about it and said that the pistons in our engines are inherently noisy. He said that he is aware of the issue, although he doesn't know why some are noisier than others. He also told me that Ford has told him that it's not a durability issue at all and the noise is not causing any additional wear or anything like that. He said that if you have it really bad, Ford is coming out with redesigned pistons which will be out late August or early September. I have decided that i'm not going to worry about it since it doesn't seem to affect drivability at all of my car as it still runs like a bat out of hell, and is still smoother than the smoothest OHV engine GM can release

Old 06-06-2002 | 08:12 PM
Angry First oil change

I just had my first oil change in my 01 Lightning at 2,783 miles
and I'm getting the marbles in a jar sound, it's not a loud noise,
but it's noticeable and it didn't sound like that before the oil
change and it doesn't sound good. It was changed at the Ford
dealer and they used Ford oil and filter. Other than a Bassani
cat-back the truck is not modified and I don't abuse it, it's never
been to the track and I've never really flogged it yet. I called the
dealer and they want me to bring it in. I can say this much, if it
needs the engine replaced, I want a new truck or the noise in
the engine will be the least of they're problems!

2001 Lightning
Bassani Cat-back
Bazo 22's & Pirelli Scorp Zero's
Bedrug

Old 06-07-2002 | 12:13 AM
|
Smile

Finally, for those of us who change our own oil, we now know that we arn't doing anything wrong to cause the marble noise! Now, we just have to figure out what in the world really is causing that noise!

Quick Reply: 1st oil change, and guess what??? GRRRRRR