Lightning

Another blown motor......

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002 | 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Weedo
Hmmm, anyone??

QUESTION: Has there been any motors/plugs blown with Denso plugs?
Good question....

Pay Alittle now or alot later comes to mind right??

Old 06-05-2002 | 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Lightning
So does this mean that the JDM program that spanky had on his chip made the truck burn up some plugs and roach some valves? or is this just a freak thing that just happend?

Nitro
Another very good question....

I would double check the program that was on the chip, and see what he was experiancing before it broke....

Old 06-05-2002 | 10:42 PM
Just remember what I said about mods and chips. Another thing is that it is VERY hard to have a perfect chip for maximum HP AND be safe. ESPECIALLY a mail order chip. Too bad the majority of us can't get a dynotune from one of the major Lightning tuners. When you start making allot more HP your chip calibration becomes much more critical. ALL the tuners have had engines blow or spark plugs burn up....you just don't here about it. Modding is a calulated risk that we ALL take. Some call it the need for speed. Just my .02

Old 06-06-2002 | 12:38 PM
In the interest of getting the story straight,

First, sorry about your engine spanky, no one wants to see that happen.

Here is what was posted by spanky777will on SVTPerformance.com

Add me to the blown motor list!!!
went to cecil yesterday to get into the 12's. first got there and strapped on my new hoosiers and prepared for my 12 sec run. Made my first run and gotr my time slip and ran a 14.0 sec run. ouch. Made a few more and about the same times. Strapped back on my F-1's and ran a 13.5. ok i thought. It's getting better. but still wayyy of from the last time a ran with less mods and street tires and hit a 13.0. continued running and got 13.7's and 14.0's. hell the r/t guys there were whipping my ***. fastest one there ran a 13.5. well on the way back from one of my runs the truck started to run like ****. It ran like it had a miss. went back to the pits and opened the hood and oil was all over the place **** i thought. So i started to check the plugs in thinking a plug was loose. started on the pass side and got to the 3rd plug back and the plug was in pieces. limped the truck to a parts store and got a new plug and it ran a lot better but still had a miss. I drove it home ( i live 1 hour 20 mins from cecil) and checked the drivers side plugs. 2 more plugs in pieces. Well now the truck is missing like hell, rod is knocking, and the pass side number 3 plug i check again and it is fouled with oil so i also think i have a bad ring. All this in a 1999 Lightning with 21,000 miles and about 12-15 passes in the 1/4 mile. This sux. oh well i guess that means a new, more powerful short block!!!

1999 Lightning
#1298 of 4000
Born on 5/14/99
Vermillion Red
Superchips Flip Chip
90mm Mass Air
Boost Bypass Kit
Ford Motorsport Crankcase Breather
4LB Lower Pulley
Metco Driveshaft Loop
Ford 4x4 Deep Sump Transmission Pan and Filter
NGK TR5'S
Custom Dual Magnaflow 14416 Glasspacks/Mufflers
Rancho 58 inch Traction Bars
Unique steel 16x10 racing rims
Hoosier 28x14.5x16 DOT Slicks
PIAA 9007 Blue Headlight Bulbs
H3 Fog Light Bulbs
2001 Clear/Altezza Tail Lights
Ford Factory Tonneau Cover
Ford/Duraliner Bedliner
Ventshade Ventvisors Painted To Match
Ventshade Bug Deflector Painted To Match
Kenwood KDC-8015 Head Unit

Obviously it did not happen "on the first run" as posted by blowntruck.

The orange/red color of the sparkplugs look like ones I took out of my 99 after running a signicant amount of 104 unleaded race fuel past them. Be aware that fuel filters on Lightnings plug easily because they are designed to filter out very fine particulates.
A partially plugged filter can also cause a lean condition, especially at WOT when racing. You may not even notice a loss of performance until it is too late.
Change your fuel filter regularly, especially if you are using race fuel.

One more thing. Letting your truck cool down between runs will help both your ET's and the longevity of your engine.

Lightning Bob

Old 06-06-2002 | 12:41 PM
DJ's Lightning,
I am one of Will's "clients". I still recomend him HIGHLY!!! From the info supplied, I would assume that he should have been running TR-6s' instead of TR-5s'. When I bought my plugs from Sal (my L is still bone stock), he told me to use the TR-6s'. Will is very proficient in his mechanical ability and knowledge! I think that your "dig" against him is uncalled for. I agree, this is just an excuse for Will to build a KILLER motor! My hats off to you, Will!!! I hope you and the L will be road/track worthy very soon! I will e-mail ya later, Will.
John

Old 06-06-2002 | 12:51 PM
|
Re: In the interest of getting the story straight,

Originally posted by Lightning Bob

Obviously it did not happen "on the first run" as posted by blowntruck.

Sorry bout' that, just passing information Spanky asked me to post.

Old 06-06-2002 | 05:14 PM
Qoute

here is a qoute of what spank777 posted on svt performance site as to the cause, of his very bad luck =(" yea it was the tune on the chip. Ran too Lean " ) man that is a bummer.. once again will sorry to hear about the bad luck.. =mike

Old 06-06-2002 | 06:56 PM
Question

I wonder if any of the spin on this story is related to the fact that JJ doesnt ( or cant ) sell JDM parts anymore....

Doug

Old 06-06-2002 | 07:35 PM
Talking Alright Boyz...

It's this simple..... Spanky pull out the chip and look on the back of it, and what is the custom program number on the label???
That will clear up as to whose program it is.

Later...
Bruce

Old 06-06-2002 | 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_!
I wonder if any of the spin on this story is related to the fact that JJ doesnt ( or cant ) sell JDM parts anymore....

Doug
Is that true Doug?

Old 06-06-2002 | 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_!
I wonder if any of the spin on this story is related to the fact that JJ doesnt ( or cant ) sell JDM parts anymore....Doug
Originally posted by ICULOKN
Is that true Doug?
Doug wouldn't post it if it wasn't first hand knowlege. Isn't that so Doug?

Old 06-06-2002 | 08:38 PM
Doug,JJ's change in relationship has nothing to do with chips or programs.It was his sources and developement of his own line.
Please don't be the source of back fence gossip.

Old 06-06-2002 | 08:46 PM
Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed
Doug, JJ's change in relationship has nothing to do with chips or programs. It was his sources and developement of his own line. Please don't be the source of back fence gossip.
Hmmmm

Old 06-06-2002 | 08:48 PM
Jim...

You wanna chime in here????

I mean everyone else seems to know what's going on with your business.

Later...

Old 06-06-2002 | 08:55 PM
Get a Friggin' Life Doug

I don't know Doug from a hole in the ground.

However, his quote cannot be ignored. Bringing JJ into this discussion is totally unwarranted. JJ informed me 2 months ago of problems with the Spankmeister to include lack of knowledge regarding basic mechanic fundamentals and total lack of respect for other tuners knowledge base (basically an 18-year old punk who knows everything). You won't find me or other MD/NOVA or DC related L's crying about his current situation. It sounds like Doug has been hearing negative thinking from the WRONG source!!!!!

BTJ

Quick Reply: Another blown motor......