Lightning

Another blown motor......

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002 | 04:17 AM
Talking TUNA FISH......

QUOTE...

LOL -
Jim from JDM calls me ( on his way to Fun Ford in Gainesville ) and tells me he has cut some of his distributors. That is first hand knowledge.

ROTFLMAO....everyone wanna be a tuna Who's gonna control my spark advance??? JDM or SAL...the rest I dunno..my .02...why take the chance? How many tunas can you have in a fish bowl???

[SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWER]

Answer=2 Survival of the fittest.....

Old 06-07-2002 | 04:38 AM
Quote:

JJ informed me 2 months ago of problems with the Spankmeister to include lack of knowledge regarding basic mechanic fundamentals and total lack of respect for other tuners knowledge base (basically an 18-year old punk who knows everything).

Competition of any kind can be tough. Some people hate it when you take a buck out from uinder them. Skip the slammin'.
This went from trying to find a cause for a blown motor to another friggin' "my tuna's better than your tuna."
I have my opinion of JJ and other tuners, be it good or bad, but if you need details then private email me. No need to post personal attacks via this forum. Yet I don't think it's out of line to applaud good service on the forum. But when it turns into idolatry or sales pitching, you're begging for frenzy feeding.
Can't we all just get along? Don't like a certain tuner? Don't go to him.
Everybody have a good day. Didn't intend this to be trolling for a fight. Loyalty is good. Blind loyalty is foolish.

Last edited by DR.D; 06-07-2002 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-07-2002 | 08:18 AM
Thumbs down remember

LETS not forget the new rule and play nice, if i cant bash you can't either LOL =
"Bashing or agressively negative posts will be deleted as soon as I see them"

Old 06-07-2002 | 09:18 AM
|
Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed
Blowntruck,I've never talked to JJ.Has he let anyone know about this himself?
Im hoping on speaking with JJ personally today.

Old 06-07-2002 | 10:40 AM
Back to the subject at hand -

In the not too distant past, one of the tuners was talking about "inaudible detonation". Oh, here it is:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=61632

We never found out how the tuners calibrate for this...

Until this is answered, how can anyone feel good about their tune?

Old 06-07-2002 | 10:59 AM
Originally posted by lurker
Back to the subject at hand -

In the not too distant past, one of the tuners was talking about "inaudible detonation". Oh, here it is:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=61632

We never found out how the tuners calibrate for this...

Until this is answered, how can anyone feel good about their tune?
That term may not be 100% correct, but it's the closest thing I could think of for what I was trying to explain.

When you have normal detonation, it's usually a result of one of two things. 1- too lean, 2- too much timing. However, it is possbile to have pre-ignition, where the combustion gasses burn too soon before the piston is at TDC. You can have a buttload of timing, and if you add a ton of fuel the audible pinging will go away from the fuel buffer. However, it's still too advanced and what will happen is as the piston comes upwards towards TDC, the cylinder combustion occurs too soon, and the result of that is that the piston is now being forced down while it's still traveling up. There is your answer to how a chip can break a rod.

As for what we do to prevent this, well that just comes with experience and knowledge. Let's just say there's a ton of trucks out there breaking rods, and none of them are mine .

Old 06-07-2002 | 11:06 AM
Originally posted by LightningTuner

However, it's still too advanced and what will happen is as the piston comes upwards towards TDC, the cylinder combustion occurs too soon, and the result of that is that the piston is now being forced down while it's still traveling up. There is your answer to how a chip can break a rod.

I guess this is making more LOAD on your rods right?? This can also lead to spun bearings if the rod dosent break. ALot of the trucks have seen this as well.

Like Sal said in his post and I have before.... A chip thats tuned wrong can lead to Pinging which in turn leads to a Rod Breaking...

Old 06-07-2002 | 11:41 AM
This isn't meant for a bash on anyone, but i remember when the threads were out about which trucks were blowing motors and which Tuner they used, it seemed that none of them were Tuner A. Now Tuner B is saying that none of them are his. Is Tuner C going to chime in and say none of them are his??

It seems this is a never ending issue and no one seems to think their Tuner is making the chip that blows the motors. I wish i still had the chart because it was all there in plain english.

Old 06-07-2002 | 11:55 AM
Weedo, I understand your point, but that other post was just a reflection of who was willing to post and who wasn't.

I get many calls from other vendors customers looking for help when they blow thier motors, whether it's rods or plugs. This is not to say that the other persons chip is what caused the failure, but more to say that I have a pretty good idea of what's happening on other peoples trucks other than my own customers.

Old 06-07-2002 | 01:29 PM
LightningTuner

Makes sense, although it's a little hard to believe that no one from Tuner A wanted to admit it but everyone from Tuner B and C did???

Question: if your vehicle is not running too lean (shown on a dyno or whatever) could it still blow because of too much timing? And if there is no pinging that can be heard, is it still possible to blow?

It just seems that everyone says "richen up my chip a bit and i'll never blow". Sounds correct to me but maybe not based on what you're saying?

Old 06-07-2002 | 04:17 PM
|
Ok,
just talked to JJ personally, face to face. Him and JDM have broke ties for one reason or another at their own discretion. Oh well, since the road split looks like im sticking with JJ for his excelent customer service. In no way is this a bash towards any tuner . I aprrechiate PSP(SAL) that he always offers help in the forums to anyone, even non-customers. Johnny Lightning, even though he hasn't posted in a while when I got a chance to meet him at Cecil, a very friendly, skilled individual. Jay Lincoln always offers advise. i know there are others I fail to list.

What im getting at is the customer service one offers is what counts. When C.Service lacks, you will lose customers. Spanky's chip is a JDM with their programs. Nothing else to it. It might be a dissapointment for them, oh well, tough sh**.

Can't wait to get your L back up again Spanky, hit the strip again. JJ, have a safe trip thanks for your help and service as usual.

****BTW, Im an adult, Ill post whatever I want. These are my opinions. -----This is not towards anyone here, just some one who frequents the forums. They know who they are. Just got my last dime.

Old 06-08-2002 | 04:58 PM
To all of you that think this chip was tuned by JJ at JJ'S SVT Performance need to shut the hell up. NEITHER I nor anyone else stated that the tune on my chip WAS from JJ at JJ's SVT Performance. From what i have seen JJ has excellent customer service and has done a hell of a lot for the LOOM community but this in NO way has to damage his reputation for that. All of you are just trying to blame him for this however so far there are NO known facts that point my blown motor to be caused by him and the tune that HE put on the chip. Neither i nor anyone else on these boards can say who burned the chip but there is no reason for you all to point the finger at him and blame him for this. Damn this just pisses me off

Edit: Hell i don't even know who burned it and it is my chip!!!!

P.S. This is not meant towards anyone or any tuner but you people just jump to conclusions wayyyyyyyyy too soon!!!

Last edited by Spanky99L; 06-08-2002 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2002 | 05:49 PM
WOW, someone just got yelled at!!
I thought i was following this post closely but i never saw anyone blame JJ for the blown motor. Guess i'd better read through this again...

Old 06-08-2002 | 05:59 PM
F150online
Founder
And while you're reading through it, try to figure which poster is most likely hiding their true identity.

Last edited by webmaster; 06-08-2002 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-08-2002 | 07:42 PM
Mine had Denso IT20's in it when it ate two electrodes...I doubt the plugs have much to do with it.

Quick Reply: Another blown motor......