Lightning

Another blown motor......

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002 | 10:27 PM
here is what i got from my friend that looked at my chip:

Ok, here is what I found in your chip...

1- The chip is not properly calibrated for the 90mm MAF.

2- The A/F is set way too lean, and not correctly properly for the amount of boost being used.

3- The program has way too much timing, even with race fuel, it is at damaging levels.

The chip has as much as 23 degrees timing at WOT. The PCM adds about 3 degrees over that at the temperature the chip was being used at the time of motor damage. That's about 26 degrees total timing at WOT. With a 4lb pulley, that's about 8-10 degrees more timing than there should be.

The chip is programmed for 11.78 air fuel at WOT. On a 99, the actual air fuel is about .3 leaner than what is programmed. By not correcting for the 90mm MAF properly, that makes the truck run about .8 leaner as well. And the 4 lb pulley usually runs the truck about .3 leaner than stock boost. So if we take all of this into account, you've got a setting of 11.78, plus .3 for actual correction (12.08), plus .8 for the MAF mismatch (12.88), plus .3 for the 4 lb pulley (13.08).

So using this chip should have run this truck at 13.08 a/f ratio, with 26 degrees of timing. Aside from that, the MAF mismatch will have a long term affect on trans life. There are also several other things are either not properly corrected, or should be corrected, but aren't. I do not want to go into details, because if the person who tuned this chip doesn't know how to do it right, there is no reason I should have to educate them.

and NO this wasn't a chip tuned by JJ at JJ's SVT Performance. When it was last burned in december jj did not have tuning capibilities so it wasn't him.

Old 06-10-2002 | 10:35 PM
Spanky,

Very good info there, I guess you had a bad tune for sure. You didnt have any signs of pinging or anything??

Old 06-10-2002 | 10:40 PM
ive been reading this for days and i cant
take it anymore,so heres my take.

1. you said "someone "at jdm tuned the chip"
2. you had no idea what program was on the chip.

if i put a chip in my 30k truck,i sure as hell
would know what program was on it and how
my truck was reacting to it.
also on another board jim said he checked his customer
list and couldnt find your name at all.
sounds to me either someone else burned your chip or
u bought a used chip from someone with different mods
than yourself .

no flame i wish you luck with your motor and hate too see
it happen to anyone of us.

but theres too many fake names and changed stories
behind this.a whole lot of fingerpointing with no proof.

rip john gotti

Old 06-10-2002 | 10:43 PM
|
Originally posted by trashguy

rip john gotti

yea, RIP .

Old 06-10-2002 | 10:45 PM
iculokn

No pinging or nothing. Ran like a champ til it went boom

trashguy

the chip was burned again in december buy JDM when i purchased their 4lb lower and crankcase filter which both required a reburn. It was burned previously the first time for a 90mm mass air so it is supposed to have a 90mm mass air, crankcase filter and 4lb lower pulley burned on it. Program wise i don't know.

Old 06-10-2002 | 10:53 PM
Spanky99L ,
you know there is a program number labeled on the chip,
yes???......Take it to the source directly and just ask Jim!!!No one here knows about the program itself.......my $.02...
sorry about your motor BTW...JR

Old 06-10-2002 | 11:00 PM
slvrltng

Been there done that. Jim said i had a "so called" safe tune on it. but after what my friend saw hmmmmmmmmmm

Old 06-11-2002 | 12:20 AM
Aside from that, the MAF mismatch will have a long term affect on trans life.
Huh?

Old 06-11-2002 | 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Spanky99L
Hell i don't even know who burned it and it is my chip!!!!
and then later

Posted by Spanky99L
the chip was burned again in december buy JDM when i purchased their 4lb lower and crankcase filter which both required a reburn. It was burned previously the first time for a 90mm mass air so it is supposed to have a 90mm mass air, crankcase filter and 4lb lower pulley burned on it. Program wise i don't know.
How did your memory improve so much?

Old 06-11-2002 | 10:22 AM
Originally posted by lurker
How did your memory improve so much?
I believe Spanky was refering to who @JDM?

No pinging or nothing. Ran like a champ til it went boom
That I'm trying to figure out. Maybe driving around town when it's not getting pushed at all, but @ WOT shouldn't something have been noticably or wrong?

Old 06-11-2002 | 10:59 AM
Spanky - I wish you would get your story straight!

Here is what was posted by spanky777will on SVTPerformance.com

Add me to the blown motor list!!!
went to cecil yesterday to get into the 12's. first got there and strapped on my new hoosiers and prepared for my 12 sec run. Made my first run and gotr my time slip and ran a 14.0 sec run. ouch. Made a few more and about the same times. Strapped back on my F-1's and ran a 13.5. ok i thought. It's getting better. but still wayyy of from the last time a ran with less mods and street tires and hit a 13.0. continued running and got 13.7's and 14.0's. hell the r/t guys there were whipping my ***. fastest one there ran a 13.5. well on the way back from one of my runs the truck started to run like ****. It ran like it had a miss. went back to the pits and opened the hood and oil was all over the place **** i thought. So i started to check the plugs in thinking a plug was loose. started on the pass side and got to the 3rd plug back and the plug was in pieces. limped the truck to a parts store and got a new plug and it ran a lot better but still had a miss. I drove it home ( i live 1 hour 20 mins from cecil) and checked the drivers side plugs. 2 more plugs in pieces. Well now the truck is missing like hell, rod is knocking, and the pass side number 3 plug i check again and it is fouled with oil so i also think i have a bad ring. All this in a 1999 Lightning with 21,000 miles and about 12-15 passes in the 1/4 mile. This sux. oh well i guess that means a new, more powerful short block!!!

Though you didn't realize it, obviously, your truck was not running right from the very first run at Cecil on. After that you continued to run it, by your own admission another 5 or 6 or more runs (probably more) down the track. Probably, also with no cooldown times in between.
Then you drove it to the parts store and replace ONLY one plug, though 3 were bad. Then you drove it home for another hour and 20 minutes with two bad plugs still in it.
Where does common sense or owner responsibility come into play here. It seems like you are trying to blame someone else for either your lack of knowledge or stupidity. Chalk it up as an expensive lesson learned and move on.

Lightning Bob

Old 06-11-2002 | 11:08 AM
wow

last time i read a post this long people were ranting about some new dodge truck labeled as the lightning killer!!!

I still want to know how the MAF has a direct affect on the transmission. Isn't the TPS and TACH what is related to the cpu as far and engine - transmission relationships?

Old 06-11-2002 | 11:18 AM
I agree

The engine died, so let the thread die too. There is no resolution.

Old 06-11-2002 | 11:31 AM
let's build it up

lets build this thread up. Put some forged posts in here to keep this thread from flaming!!!!!! Wait, i think we are already running a little lean. I hear some detonation from like page 2.....

Old 06-11-2002 | 11:41 AM
Re: wow

Originally posted by tallimeca
I still want to know how the MAF has a direct affect on the transmission. Isn't the TPS and TACH what is related to the cpu as far and engine - transmission relationships?
The MAF is the main input for the PCM. The voltage signal the PCM gets from the MAF is used to calculate "Load". Load is used to determine things like transmission slip times, shift duration, line pressure, etc. Anytime you change the MAF voltage to the PCM, either by changing the MAF itself or by doing a modification trick, you change the load that the PCM sees being put on the drivetrain.

Over the past few years, there has been a lot of talk of burned up trannys here on the board, in the magazines, and just amongst customers. There have been many reasons "why" people burn up transmissions, such as too much line pressure and removing the torque reduction (Torque Reduction is used on EVERY Ford vehicle BTW, even little 4 cylinders, it's not Lightning specific) but the one thing that 99% of these "fried" trannys had in common, was a Pro-M MAF.

Autologic chip tuners have the ability to input the proper flow curve into our programs, for different MAFs. What that does is it tells the PCM exactly what voltage it should be seeing back from this new MAF. The other chip manufacturers do not make this correction, they simply adjust the air fuel ratio back to correct levels, but that still leaves the PCM calculating the wrong load values for everything else.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Another blown motor......