Lightning

Another blown motor......

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002 | 11:44 AM
DR.D,

I think this thread has lasted as long as it has because people want to know what happened. We want to make sure it doesn't happen to us. I personally feel that this thread would have been shorter had spanky been more forthcoming. Additionally, there has been a dash of tuner skirmish which fueled a post spike. Ultimately, like Speeding Bob, I feel that spanky doesn't have a grasp of what went wrong. Other than his initial posts explaining what happened on the night of his engine's demise, he seems to be vascillating on the facts regarding his circumstances. He is obviously regurgitating what someone else has told him. It would probably best if spanky asked whoever is providing him with his information to post directly to the thread to avert any corruption of the data. The best example is what I asked about earlier:
Aside from that, the MAF mismatch will have a long term affect on trans life.
More goofy info such as this was available at nloc, but has since been deleted.

BTW Sal, do you really think that spanky had/has the understanding of the PCM operation you described? It's a stretch to think that's what he meant.

-Edward

Last edited by Edward; 06-11-2002 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-11-2002 | 11:50 AM
thanks

Thanks Sal for the info. May day is complete!!! Hehe, now if fed ex would ever show up with my new lights. I'm gonna post about how bad this tuner is because they said two days and now it's three and they promised me and I don't have and................ wait a sec, i bought these from the classifieds...hehe

Old 06-11-2002 | 12:03 PM
Hey, maybe we can post-***** this one to death!

Old 06-11-2002 | 12:04 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Ultimately, like Speeding Bob, I feel that spanky doesn't have a grasp of what went wrong.
um.....

Ultimately, like Edward, Lightning Bob, et. al., I feel like spanky doesn't have a grasp of what went wrong.

OBTW, the post on NLOC was not deleted. moved to non-public arena actually.

Bob

Old 06-11-2002 | 12:16 PM
All I know is if mine went ping. pop, or bang at the track or anywhere under hard acceleration. if I could hear it, it would be coasting to a stop. With 2 mortages, 3 vehicle payments and Comcast Digital cable/High-speed Internet, another engine would have to be a stolen one.

Old 06-11-2002 | 12:18 PM
Re: Spanky - I wish you would get your story straight!

Originally posted by Lightning Bob
Where does common sense or owner responsibility come into play here. It seems like you are trying to blame someone else for either your lack of knowledge or stupidity. Chalk it up as an expensive lesson learned and move on.

Lightning Bob
Where do you get off saying Spanky is ignorant and stupid?

Only a few things could have caused the plugs to burn up as they did.
1. Tuner sent wrong chip to Spanky.
2. Spanky never told tuner about mods he used.
3. Tuner disregarded the mod list Spanky sent him and decided to burn a program that would make the truck run like **** and burn some plugs.

Most people on this board probably don't have the funds to replace a $5K engine when it blows up or the plugs burn up. There are a lot of us who would like to know what happened so we can learn. I posted what happened to my engine and still some people don't care. I hope they have the funds to have a new engine installed.

Old 06-11-2002 | 12:20 PM

OOPS. Sorry Speeding Bob - I had a Brain fart.

Last edited by Edward; 06-11-2002 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2002 | 12:23 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
no problemo Edward, just adding a bit of brevity to a heated issue..

Old 06-11-2002 | 12:28 PM
went to cecil yesterday to get into the 12's. first got there and strapped on my new hoosiers and prepared for my 12 sec run. Made my first run and gotr my time slip and ran a 14.0 sec run. ouch. Made a few more and about the same times. Strapped back on my F-1's and ran a 13.5. ok i thought. It's getting better. but still wayyy of from the last time a ran with less mods and street tires and hit a 13.0. continued running and got 13.7's and 14.0's. hell the r/t guys there were whipping my ***. fastest one there ran a 13.5. well on the way back from one of my runs the truck started to run like ****.

Doesn't sound like there was anything happening to this point but the slow run, in other words-no unusual noises.
Was it missing on those runs?
I have to say, I rode in his truck a couple months ago and it ran fine.

BTW I wouldn't mind knowing what failed and the cause. I have a similar setup/no JDM chip tho.

NEXT

Last edited by DR.D; 06-11-2002 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-11-2002 | 01:32 PM
easterisland

Here are just a few other things you are forgetting. I'm sure there are many more.

1)Fuel Quality (i.e low octane, summer additives)
2)Fuel pressure and volume (i.e. marginal fuel pump and/or partially plugged fuel filter)
3)Unplugged/cracked hoses (i.e. vacuum leaks)

Usually when a Lightning which has been running great starts to slow down, it is time to change the fuel filter. Many on this board can attest to that. A partially plugged fuel filter alone is enough to cause this type of a problem at WOT. With the mods he had, no run (especially at Cecil) should have been 14+ seconds. That would have been my first clue, sorry if you don't get it either. For him to continue to make runs on the truck, and continue driving it as he explained, is in my opinion, not the smartest thing he could have done.

I agree that not everyone has the funds to replace their engine when something like this happens. But, that is the risk you take when you decide to add performance mods to your truck. Everyone should be aware of that. Many owners have refrained from modding, just for this reason.

By the way, I do feel bad for anyone who has had this problem.

Hope that helps,

Lightning Bob

Old 06-11-2002 | 01:44 PM
Re: easterisland

Lightning Bob,
I agree it could be one of the problems you listed.

Old 06-11-2002 | 03:26 PM
fuel was sonoco 94 octane and filter was changed no less than 1k miles ago.

Old 06-11-2002 | 03:29 PM
oh and i had no cool down, once i put on the slicks i went and ran. It was a semi hot day so i figured those runs could be right. BUT WHEN THE **** HIT THE FAN THE TRUCK STOPPED.

Old 06-11-2002 | 11:45 PM
Question

If the chip was so bad, why did it take so long for the motor to go?

I am not tring to cause trouble, just asking.

Old 06-12-2002 | 12:06 AM
this motor blew on RACE program/side. i had only run it in race program/side about 2 times if that since the reburn.

Quick Reply: Another blown motor......