Lightning

Pics of Plug Trauma (and Famous Ticking)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002 | 12:29 PM
Ben:

All the archive posts have said hand-tighten them due to clearances, and give an extra 1/16 turn for good measure but don't overtighten either. Is this correct?

I believe that's what Sal recommends and that's what I did--so far, so good. .

Dan

Old 06-05-2002 | 12:42 PM
I think it's like 12-15 ft-lbs. Not much and that's probably part of the problem. It's hard to get torques in that range accurately. Of course the placement of some of the plugs makes using a torque wrench properly all but impossible...

The hand tightening method is tough on used motors because the threads tend to be a bit bunged up and can "stick".

Try to practice tightening other bolts/nuts to 12-15 'til you get a feel for it, then go for the plugs. Good luck...

Old 06-06-2002 | 10:24 PM
|
OK, got some more pics for ya'll. First, here's the old head:

and someone asked for the chamber side so...

Old 06-06-2002 | 10:25 PM
|
Now here are some close-ups...

Old 06-06-2002 | 10:26 PM
|
I tried to zoom in as much as I could on the threads. The flash on my camera artificially enhanced what's left of the thread ridges - they are actually kind of smooth when you run your finger over them. Chewed up in some places too...

Old 06-06-2002 | 10:27 PM
|
You guys also asked to see the exhaust side too so...

Old 06-06-2002 | 10:28 PM
|
And here's the new head in place...

Old 06-06-2002 | 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the pictures! Now I can index my plugs when I change them.
If you could get the mechanic to remove 2 valves from one chamber and get a couple pictures I could tell if head porting would help improve flow. I'm just itching to port the Lightning heads!
Below is a picture of my Vette head I ported.

Old 06-06-2002 | 10:43 PM
|
I'll see if we can remove some valves tomorrow (if he hasn't sent the head back to Ford already).

Your photo is making me jealous... just look at all those nice meaty threads on your Vette's head...

Old 06-06-2002 | 10:54 PM
I'm sure Ford limited the threads for a reason. My guess is to keep the plug cooler and limit detonation. Problem is that was designed for a non-supercharged motor.
I wonder if a helicoil thread insert would help?

Old 06-06-2002 | 11:34 PM
|
A helicoil on the old head? (That's already off for good.) Or you mean 8 helicoils for all the plugs on the new head?

I'm wondering if some kind of magic sauce would help the threads too... does anyone apply anything special to their plugs?

Old 06-07-2002 | 08:32 AM
Originally posted by BMWBig6
A helicoil on the old head? (That's already off for good.) Or you mean 8 helicoils for all the plugs on the new head?

I'm wondering if some kind of magic sauce would help the threads too... does anyone apply anything special to their plugs?
YES!

Lubro Moly Anti-Seize
With the extended service interval of today's vehicles. The idea of breaking or damaging the spark plug threads in the cylinder head are every mechanics nightmare. Lubro-Moly anti seize is a product developed especially for vehicles with aluminum cylinder heads. This copper based lubricant resists high temperatures and places a barrier between the steel spark plug threads and the aluminum cylinder head. This barrier makes for easy removal. Also recommended for exhaust component assembly and oxygen sensors.

LM anti-seize 63371 $5.95

http://www.bmpdesign.com/bmw/parts/catalog/tuneup_11a.shtml

Ben, notice it's sold by a BMW site. I've been using this product since I changed the spark plugs on my turboed 1986 Saab 9000. It works well in the brake, wheel lugs, and exhaust system too. One tube will last a long time.

Dan

Last edited by LIGHTNINROD; 06-07-2002 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2002 | 09:22 AM
On porting heads...

When porting heads on a naturaly aspirated engine, you normally see substantial performance gains. When porting heads on a positive displacement supercharged engine, you won't see much change at all. At least not enough to make it worth the effort unless your searching for a few hundreths.

Your engine airflow is dictated by your supercharger rpm and inlet restriction. Power is a function of airflow and accesory drag. Nowhere is airflow effected by anything downstream. The only thing you do when porting the heads is decrease the downstream restriction which reduces the power consumed by the supercharger. But its such a small amount it hardly seems worth it. Its the same reason all the exhaust systems don't seem to really do anything. Even the longtubes aren't as effective as they would be on a nat. asp. engine.

Learn from all of the 4.6 2-valve mustang guys. They bought the SVO supercharger kit, but it wasn't enough. So they dropped 2 grand on SVO heads, and didn't hardly pick up anything.

Old 06-07-2002 | 02:02 PM
|
Talking

LIGHTNINROD, thanks for the advice. We may be ready to put the plugs in tonight, so I'll see if I can source some of that stuff in the meantime.

I should change my name... you guys sound like you're trying to rationalize with a fanatical BMW enthusiast who thinks all Fords are a POS! I wouldn't have bought this Ford unless I really thought it was a good vehicle. Besides, I'm originally a Porsche guy, and neither Porsche nor BMW have anything comparable to the L (especially for the money.) I trust your recommendations, so if you swear by a product endorsed by Ford, BMW, or JC Whitney.... I'm all ears!

Old 06-07-2002 | 07:24 PM
Ben:

I've never ordered from them and I can't remember where I got my tube but here is their info:

BMP Design Inc.
Phone: (800) 648-7278
or (903) 581-1855
24 Hour Fax: (903) 581-8206
Hours: 8-6pm Central
How to contact us:
For orders:
bmpdsales@bmpdesign.net

See the p/n in the other post. It's a German product.

Dan

Quick Reply: Pics of Plug Trauma (and Famous Ticking)