Lightning

Running with IAT sensor Unplugged ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002 | 11:13 PM
|
Running with IAT sensor Unplugged ?

I found mine was not plugged in. Will this have any major effect on the truck? With the head problem I thought this could be significant.

Old 06-04-2002 | 11:33 PM
It will affect the timing. Timing tables are adjusted using input from that sensor. Given your current issue with the work Ford did, I will look into the exact effect that could happen....

Old 06-06-2002 | 02:37 PM
|
Still looking for technical info on this subject. It should set a code and turn on the check engine light,right? When The plugs burnt up No light came on. The mechanic said a overboost code and also a rev limiter bump was detected. Will any of these set the dash light?

Thanks

Old 06-06-2002 | 03:32 PM
Lightbulb Food for thought

Twisted, I would think that since there is a second air temp sensor downstream of the supercharger, the one upstream is used for something besides timing adjustments. Sal, did you find out?

Old 06-06-2002 | 06:17 PM
|
I`m reasonably sure that if a valve breaks that you will get a sudden increase in velocity. Hence the overboost code, maybe. As far as the rev limit I know Sal set this chip on the conservative side. I have been runnning it since new. Still with the head work just completed I have serious reservations about the work being satisfactory. Waiting on Ford to take it back apart and see what the verdict is. Running in fourth at 130 I would imagine the timing is not way advanced. I was no where near the redline. This thing has never..never pulled closer than 500RPM to redline in OD.
Has not been enough road. I haven`t done a burnout since the strip last Fall. I did buy gas at a staion, Chevron that I haven`t used in a while. Gas has never been bad around here. Just how much of an octane drop would cause a lean enough mixture to burn the electrodes off? Any ideas.

Last edited by Twisted99; 06-06-2002 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2002 | 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Twisted99
... Just how much of an octane drop would cause a lean enough mixture to burn the electrodes off? Any ideas.
I could be wrong here, but I don't believe octane has anything to do with lean.

Detonation - or uncontrolled burn (explosion) - is a function of octane. Too low of an octane grade fuel and the burn rate is too fast and you get an uncontrolled explosion. A high octane grade fuel will slow the burn rate down so it’s controllable. Higher octane grade fuel typically allows more ignition advance because you can light it off earlier in the compression cycle (remember, slower burn rate) - and that can increases combustion pressures which equates to more power. The converse is also true, if you don’t increase the timing to taking advantage of a higher octane grade fuel, you’ll actually slow down just like the burn rate.

Lean means the A/F ratio is too high, and hence so are the combustion temperatures, which results in things melting – like electrodes.

So lean is to melt as octane is to explode.

Old 06-06-2002 | 09:12 PM
|
I shoulda known that and did if I just thunk about it longer....

Quick Reply: Running with IAT sensor Unplugged ?