Lightning

Saw an SVT Focus this Morning!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002 | 01:04 PM
|
Saw an SVT Focus this Morning!

Driving to work, not in the Lightning (of course), and was passed by this little black car...shiny, with a new temp license sticker in the back window, and a dealer logo plate in back. Caught up and spied the "SVT" emblem in back.

Although I am still trying to get used to the looks of the Focus (and it looks a zillion times better than the Toyota Echo...can you say BARF?), I thought this one looked great!

Had to laugh, though, as the dealer plate said, "American Ford" on it. They were the only dealer in the Twin Cites who absolutely refused to do an X plan with me. So, although this guy had the SVT Focus, I know he got hosed on the price! Wonder if he knew what he was buying? Did he know what SVT is or did he just pick it out at random cuz it looked sharp? Guess I'll never know. But, anyway, first one I've seen on the road. Wish I couldda buzzed by him in the Lightning.

Old 06-06-2002 | 01:13 PM
Yeah, I am still trying to get used to the look also. However, I am beginning to like them, especially after I saw the supercharger kit available for the SVT versions by Jackson Racing. The kits cost about $2500 and are marketed as "bolt-on". The should turn these little mid-14 sec cars into maybe high 13-sec???

Old 06-06-2002 | 01:21 PM
Thumbs up

Sweet looking, huh?

I've seen a Silver one, a black one, and that funky blue.

I like 'em, too!! I hear they are a blast to drive, but as yet I haven't had the chance.

Old 06-06-2002 | 01:35 PM
I'm not brand loyal (sorry, i've owned 35 or so vehicles of all types) and personally don't like the Focus much. It's not bad, but for the money i'd go elsewhere.

The Jackson Racing kit was tested and gained around .3 tenths in the 1/4. It was a mid 16 second car and included the header and exhaust. Pretty week.

Old 06-06-2002 | 01:43 PM
Better than a normal Focus... but still fugly. Worse yet, slow and fugly. Sorta like a hefty girl without the benefit of a nice personality...

Old 06-06-2002 | 01:49 PM
Old 06-06-2002 | 01:52 PM
Hey Weedo, I think you are talking about the the ZX3 Focus (130 hp), not the SVT. I have read that the SVT is a mid-14 second car stock (170 HP) and with the blower the HP jumps to something like 230 HP.

Last edited by 01Lightning; 06-06-2002 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-06-2002 | 02:13 PM
I belive you're correct on the 130hp version. However, check your research again, the SVT Focus is NOT a 14 second car! Here is a blurb from Car and Driver. (By the way, it's a 16.1 second car)

And although SVT must have spent as much time tuning the engine as the suspension, the results are less impressive. There's nothing terribly wrong with the 170-hp Zetec 2.0-liter. It just wasn't all that stellar an engine to begin with. For SVT duty, the Zetec gets a new dual-stage intake and a new exhaust header, variable intake-valve system, forged steel connecting rods, cast aluminum pistons (bumping the compression ratio up to 10.2:1), and freer-flowing exhaust. You probably couldn't squeeze too much more out of the engine without adding forced induction or adversely affecting drivability. For all that work, though, the Focus is not as fast as you might expect. At 7.8 seconds to 60 mph and 16.1 seconds through the quarter-mile, it's barely quicker than the Honda. The slick-shifting six-speed Getrag manual transmission, which uses a 2.88:1 final drive for first, second, fifth, and sixth gears and a separate 4.25:1 final drive for third and fourth gears, helps keep the engine on the boil. But like its standard-tune brother, this is not an engine that revs easily or quickly.

Here's the link if you want:
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...es.xml?&page=5

Old 06-06-2002 | 02:45 PM
I think MT tested the SVT Focus and got 15.7 for the 1/4...kinda weak, IMHO. However, one of the car mags has a project Focus that they followed up on the 130 hp build up. They put on aftermarket headers, MAS, and fresh air kit; plus they bumped it from 5psi to (I think) 10 psi. They ended up with 238 fwhp. That's probably around what the SVT will get, but it will have a broader powerband because of the variable cam timing on the SVT. I'd guess maybe mid to uppper 14's for the SVT with aftermarket chip and blower @ 10psi.
Either way, I think it's a moot point without AWD. I've got a 130 hp Focus, and it can get some serious torque steer at times. I can't imagine it being much fun with 230 hp...it'll be a serious handfull. The limited slip diff on the SVT will tame it some, but it'll still be a problem. I much prefer steering the front wheels with the steering wheel, and the back wheels with the throttle.

Old 06-06-2002 | 05:27 PM
The SVT focus wasn't made for the 1/4 mile times. It was produced to compete with other cars in the import seen such as the all slow Civic Si (which it beats out), and all those others. As for speed the RSX and Celica seem to be the quickest, and are aslo proclaimed as the better handling one. Thats what the SVT Focus is supposed to be competing against, and it does a great job at that. From the reviews I've read the SVTF seems to be just behind the Celica and RSX in handling, but outbrakes both of them which is essiential in road courses and auto-x.

I want one as my daily driver

Old 06-06-2002 | 05:59 PM
I want one in the bed of my Lightning for a spare tire

Old 06-06-2002 | 08:28 PM
Funny Gator!

Old 06-06-2002 | 09:47 PM
I beg to differ. A friend has one and ran a 15.2 bone stock. Beliveable since another friend has a Cavilier Z24 (150 hp) and ran a 15.5 stock. It all depends on the drivers. Stock L's(99-00) were said to run in the 1/4 low 14's while some have dipped in the mid 13's.

Old 06-06-2002 | 10:10 PM
DL
Hey,

I'm thinking about getting a blue one to run around and drive to work in.

Save some miles on my L and Lexus. Instead of renting a car for work , I'm going to use my mileage reimbursement to pay for it.

Give it to my 13 yr old daughter in a few years. She likes the blue and I think it looks pretty cool.

Maybe put a nice big Turbo on it .

I can get any color I want at my local dealer on the X plan, pretty tempting.

Last edited by DL; 06-06-2002 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2002 | 10:33 PM
Cool

I helped a friend at work put a used Jackson Racing Superchager (with an 8# pulley, 6 is stock) on a 2000 Civic Si. Stock we baselined it at 16.4 (fastest time). After the supercharger it ran a 15.1 and a couple weeks later a catback exhaust yeilded a 14.9.

It's hard to believe only a 3 tenths gain.

Magazines, ya gotta luv em.

Quick Reply: Saw an SVT Focus this Morning!