Lightning

What To Get An L!!!or Z71

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002 | 01:50 AM
Suspended Pending Email Reply
Go for the BMW. I don't want a common bond with someone who calls this decision a dilemma.

Old 06-07-2002 | 12:18 PM
Wow, decisions, decisions, decisions. My parents bought me a new calculator for school when I turned 16!

Old 06-07-2002 | 01:11 PM
I wish I had your problem. Hehe... If you really like the idea of a fast truck, get the L
On the other hand... a drop top M3 is really nice...

Old 06-07-2002 | 03:00 PM
|
Lightbulb

hey today i went out with one of my dads friends who owns a 00 M5. he and i went on to the freeway and hit 155 easy but the electronic speed limiter kicked in and stoped us. it was the most fun i have ever had in a car. the car was so agile and quick i caught my self smiling i had so much fun. later this week my friend is coming in town with his L and he is gunna try and scare me. (hope he does)

Old 06-07-2002 | 03:18 PM
|
Old 06-07-2002 | 03:31 PM
Cool Please don't take this as a flame........

Whatever you get make sure you take the time to learn how to drive it. Personally I don't think a 16 year old driver should be driving either an Mseries or a Lightning. It is just too much power for too little experience.

Hell half the adults I know have no business in anything rear wheel drive with lots of torque.

If your parents are willing to spend that much money on a car for you do yourself and them a favor and have them foot a little extra cash for a good performance driving school.

Again I would have killed to have your decision to make when I was 16 but you are talking about alot of vehicle and cars can be as deadly as any weapon.

Big Torque and RWD takes some experience so at the very least take it easy and learn your new vehicles habits in a nice large empty parking lot.

BTW make sure you treat your parents with as much love, trust and respect that they are giving you.

Rant aside, I would go for the Bimmer.

Have fun, be safe.

Chris

Old 06-07-2002 | 03:48 PM
|
hey chris,

thanks for the advice. i was previously thinking of attending the BMW M driving school in south carolina with my father this summer because he had the same train of thought as you do. my parent s are very loving and care about me alot that is the only reason they threw the BMW into the picture. the read all the saftey ratings and BMW always scores very high. My mother is not to keen about all the power of both cars but she wants me to have a nice car either way, not just for me as a kid but for her to because she was not so fortunate as a child. thanks again for the advice and i will take it into great consideration.

James

Old 06-07-2002 | 03:50 PM
I think the pics were unecessary, most people here know what an M3 and a L look like.

Will your mommy buy me a C5?

I could really use one...actually...how about a C5 vert and a Z06, cause I could never decide between the two.

Old 06-07-2002 | 03:52 PM
|
haha thats was great.
to bad ur mom cant buy u one

Old 06-07-2002 | 05:00 PM
From a woman's point of view, take the lightning.....

Old 06-07-2002 | 05:35 PM
cslinger is right on the money

What I suggest is what my father told me when I was 15. Go out somewhere (like a big empty parking lot) and beat the crap out of it!
Especially if you get the truck. Trucks definitly have a skill to them when you have that much power. Since your 16 Im sure your going to want to fish tail corners and play in the rain.(thats what i did..and still do) Just take it easy untill you get a perfect feel for it. The light rear end will suprise you especially in the rain if you screw around to much. As for which car should you get...depends on if you wanna be a pimp or a badass...I say pimps are wimps...go for the truck! (black is nice!)IMO

anybody wanna check my grammer and punctuation?

Old 06-07-2002 | 05:49 PM
Originally posted by blowntruck

Hmm, I think you should replace your comma before "but" with a semicolon. First part of sentence is already complete.
J/k
lol oooooo, burn....

Old 06-07-2002 | 06:02 PM
Originally posted by lightninkid
hey chris,

thanks for the advice. i was previously thinking of attending the BMW M driving school in south carolina with my father this summer because he had the same train of thought as you do. my parent s are very loving and care about me alot that is the only reason they threw the BMW into the picture. the read all the saftey ratings and BMW always scores very high. My mother is not to keen about all the power of both cars but she wants me to have a nice car either way, not just for me as a kid but for her to because she was not so fortunate as a child. thanks again for the advice and i will take it into great consideration.

James
You are a very lucky young man. I think you realize that. I can't emphasize enough the responsibility that comes with all that performance...At your age, you simply don't have the experience with cars to know when you're on the edge of grip, what lift-throttle snap oversteer can (and WILL!) do, hyroplaning in a high speed corner--stuff like that.

Just head north to Phoenix--Bondurant. They have several different courses (I'd recommend the 4-day grand prix). I wish I could afford to go back myself, let alone send my kids .

Go with your Dad and the both of you can have a real father-son experience. Your parents will be more at ease with you in a performance car if they know you know EXACTLY what it will do and how to instantly correct it--there will be situations that knowledge will save your a$$.

Best of luck.

Old 06-07-2002 | 06:28 PM
You didn't say what BMW your parents would buy you or what price range.
'02 M3: $55,000
'02 Lightning: $32,000

Maybe they'd give you the extra $20,000 or so for mods on the truck?

At $32k or so, you're looking at a 325 with pleather seats. You could get the sport package and a roof and that's about it. It's a very nice car, but apples and oranges.

So really, what price range are we talking about, that would help us all help you, otherwise we'll ALL say get the M3/M5/AMG/etc...

Old 06-07-2002 | 08:05 PM
what!!!

If you are seriously dumb enough to choose a z71 over a lightning, you don't deserve to have one anyway and I will personally come down there and slap some sense into you

Quick Reply: What To Get An L!!!or Z71