Lightning

Trans and MAF problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002 | 09:02 AM
|
Trans and MAF problem ?

Well I have been getting the check engine light with an error code of Bank 1 and 2 are lean. I told this to my dealership and was told it sounds like the MAF sensor was bad. This only happens if the outside temps are below 65F. The dealership told me on Friday that they would check it out while the L was in the shop (broken fog lamps and air not working). Now today when the L was dropped off I was told that they would hook up the scanner to it but if the MAF was not bad that it would cost me $95 for the scan. I have a scan tool but need to know what to look for on a bad MAF?

Now on to my Trans problem. If I hook up the scan tool I am almost sure to know the problem but do not have the L and would like to know what you guys think it may be. The L runs fine until a few miles are put on then go to a stop (all driving normal). Once I leave the stop the OD off light starts to blink and it shifts hard (already know that this is fail safe mode). Then after I get up to crusing speed again the light stops blinking. Does anyone know what this may be?

Old 06-17-2002 | 09:27 AM
Well unfortunatly I think your MAF problem and tranny problem are related. My truck had a PRO-M on it for awehile and now the tranny is being overhauled for somet problems. The concenses is that the modified voltage from the maf told the tranny it had a certain load on it when in actuality it did not or had more load causing the tranny to slip or tighten up inappropriatly. My guess is your rtanny will be coming out soon. If you run the scan tool you can see what the tranny codes are. Get back to us with those and we can see if we can figured it out.

Brandon

Old 06-17-2002 | 01:28 PM
I have the same problem as you Tommy. Keep getting ses light. I went to the dealership and the code came up as bank 1 and 2 lean. They replaced the maf sensor and reset the computer. It lasted for a few hundred miles and came back therefore I pretty much ruled out the maf. I have run 2 different brand chips, JDM and JLP, the problem comes with both of them. So, probably not the chip. Today my intercooler is being replaced, as well as the O2 sensors. This could possibly help I think. I checked the fuel pressure at the dealership, it was fine. Only other thing I can think is that it happened soon after I added the 6# pulley. Others aren't having this problem though, so I don't think that is it. If this doesn't help, I will be getting it dyno tuned and nitrous added in a couple weeks at Paul's High Performance, maybe he can shed some light. I don't have the tranny problem, so I can't help there. If you figure something out please do post it as I will also. Thankyou, Jason

Old 06-17-2002 | 01:38 PM
|
Originally posted by loosecannon
I have the same problem as you Tommy. Keep getting ses light. I went to the dealership and the code came up as bank 1 and 2 lean. They replaced the maf sensor and reset the computer. It lasted for a few hundred miles and came back therefore I pretty much ruled out the maf. I have run 2 different brand chips, JDM and JLP, the problem comes with both of them. So, probably not the chip. Today my intercooler is being replaced, as well as the O2 sensors. This could possibly help I think. I checked the fuel pressure at the dealership, it was fine. Only other thing I can think is that it happened soon after I added the 6# pulley. Others aren't having this problem though, so I don't think that is it. If this doesn't help, I will be getting it dyno tuned and nitrous added in a couple weeks at Paul's High Performance, maybe he can shed some light. I don't have the tranny problem, so I can't help there. If you figure something out please do post it as I will also. Thankyou, Jason
I also have the 6# pulley on but do not think this is the problem. Will be doing some testing in the next few days. My ses light only comes on when the temp is below 65F. Need to find out what the fuel pressure should read. Think that my fuel pressure may be low.

Old 06-17-2002 | 02:39 PM
|
Originally posted by tommylightning

I also have the 6# pulley on but do not think this is the problem. Will be doing some testing in the next few days. My ses light only comes on when the temp is below 65F. Need to find out what the fuel pressure should read. Think that my fuel pressure may be low.
Just found out the what the fuel pressure should read. This come direct from the Ford technical manual. Fuel pressure: 28psi Idle and 50psi WOT. This is exactly what I am seeing (well I am getting 51psi at WOT). So I need to look in to something else for a solution.

Old 06-17-2002 | 02:50 PM
Well....

May not be the issue, but:

There are two inputs for speed, VSS and OSS. If they don't match within a certain percentage, your EEC figures that the trans is slipping, throws a code, and goes into that limpy hard shift mode that you are apparently familiar with.

One of those sensors may be bad, your trans may indeed be slipping badly, or perhaps something else that I'm not familiar with.

Old 06-17-2002 | 05:02 PM
Not 100% sure, but I would have to say that it came on in the similar temp range outside. It has been on for a couple of weeks now. If my memory serves me right, it was pretty cold around here when it came on last. I do have to say when I went back to my 2# set-up the problem didn't reoccur. This doesn't mean that I beleive that it is the pulley causing the problem though. It is just something that is stuck inside my head about my set-up that changed before I got this problem.

Old 06-18-2002 | 08:51 AM
|
Well I have the codes about the trans. I hope someone is able to help me with this.

The codes are as follows:

P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit (PRNDL Input)
P1702 Transmission Range Circuit Intermittent

The last code that I have (not related to the trans) right now is:

P0243 Tubo/Super Charger Wastegate Solenoid A

Old 06-18-2002 | 11:27 AM
Tommy, I have to eat some of my words. I kinda assumed that the ses light came back on for the lean condition after the maf sensor was replaced. Come to find out the light came on because the hose for my EGR had a hole in it. Sorry for the false assumption. I would have to say that the MAF sensor fixed the problem now. Once again sorry for the false info. Jason

Old 06-18-2002 | 11:41 AM
|
Originally posted by loosecannon
Tommy, I have to eat some of my words. I kinda assumed that the ses light came back on for the lean condition after the maf sensor was replaced. Come to find out the light came on because the hose for my EGR had a hole in it. Sorry for the false assumption. I would have to say that the MAF sensor fixed the problem now. Once again sorry for the false info. Jason
No problem. Purchased a Ford Service manual when my motor had to be replaced. So I looked up the codes and also the specs on MAF and the like. Will be doing some testing today.

As far as the reeor codes for the trans, it looks like I need to climb under the L and clean the "Digital Transmission Range Sensor" I hope it is that easy.

Quick Reply: Trans and MAF problem ?