Lightning

How electronic is our transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003 | 10:16 AM
I just saw this, after however long it's been up, but ..

This way madness lays

First, I'm afraid of almost anything that overrides the electronic controls, I've seen too many people change X and not realize what it's doing to Y and Z without them even knowing it, and second, who here thinks they have better reflexes than a chip that makes 63,000 decisions per second? It may be fun, but it's not for performance, now changing how the chip decides may be at least justifiable (I'm still not convinced myself) but from a performance point of view, doing it yourself just isn't as fast as having the "little thing made of sand, that we have taught to count" do it for you.

I was told once in my youth, that there are people who can manually shift better than an automatic can (and this was when they ran on vacum, not silicon), but of course, if you're that good you're prolly a professional racer anyhow.

G

Old 12-18-2003 | 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Factory_Tech
I just saw this, after however long it's been up, but ..

This way madness lays

First, I'm afraid of almost anything that overrides the electronic controls, I've seen too many people change X and not realize what it's doing to Y and Z without them even knowing it, and second, who here thinks they have better reflexes than a chip that makes 63,000 decisions per second? It may be fun, but it's not for performance, now changing how the chip decides may be at least justifiable (I'm still not convinced myself) but from a performance point of view, doing it yourself just isn't as fast as having the "little thing made of sand, that we have taught to count" do it for you.

I was told once in my youth, that there are people who can manually shift better than an automatic can (and this was when they ran on vacum, not silicon), but of course, if you're that good you're prolly a professional racer anyhow.

G
You seem to have missed at least MY point for wanting this -- it's not the upshifts, it's the downshifts! I do not pretend to think that my brain can think quicker than the computer, but the computer cannot tell when I need a downshift until it's too late.

For road racing, one needs to be in the exit gear on the ENTRY to the curve. Letting the computer decide has you downshifting in the middle of the EXIT of the turn. Not good.

I would be perfectly happy to have a footswitch for downshifts only.

Old 12-18-2003 | 11:26 AM
There is also the occasional desire to stay in a given gear a little longer than the PCM calls for because of that BMW or (?) beside you that you think might be wanting to test you. Then you can nudge the throttle a little without the production of a downshift.

Old 12-18-2003 | 11:28 AM
Interesing thread,, I have been wanting to stop by their shop in Pendleton, about 40 miles away, to check on the E4OD controler for my Gen 1..
I am happy with my automatic except when it comes to spirited driving in the moutain twisties. The switchable ability to paddle shift and auto shift would be awesome..
You cant beat the ability to choose your own shift points when carving thru a series of corners.

Old 12-18-2003 | 11:53 AM
It seems to me we need a a switch to select automatic / manual operation of the transmission, and then a set of paddle shifters for when in manual mode.

This doesn't strike me as that hard. It would require breaking out the transmission and PCM manuals as well as an oscilloscope or logic analyzer and then just doing some fiddling.

The hardest part would seem to be giving sensible feedback to the PCM or otherwise burning a program that will keep the PCM from complaining about a lack of transmission response.

-Don

Old 12-18-2003 | 09:04 PM
Originally posted by sirket
It seems to me we need a a switch to select automatic / manual operation of the transmission, and then a set of paddle shifters for when in manual mode.

This doesn't strike me as that hard. It would require breaking out the transmission and PCM manuals as well as an oscilloscope or logic analyzer and then just doing some fiddling.

The hardest part would seem to be giving sensible feedback to the PCM or otherwise burning a program that will keep the PCM from complaining about a lack of transmission response.

-Don
Sirket,

I agree with you completely, now get off your **** and start fiddling!

Mad

Old 12-19-2003 | 01:16 PM
Sorry, I was away for a day or so. Just catching up.

They quoted a ballpark figure of $2K (high end) in R&D work. Instead of paying something up front, I figured as a group, we could come up with enough people to make the work worth their while. Below is the response verbatim I received from Greg at Baumann in response to 'how many Lightning owners do we need to make the work worthwhile to Baumann":

"One, at my door when the weather warms up a little. They wold need to be able to leave it with me, and pay for a chip to make the engine operate properly. Look at spending about 800 to $1000 here, and another 400 to 600 to get the chip right."

Understanding what their costs are and figuring some upside potential, I think we probably have some negotiating room depending on number of people interested. The big question is who is close enough to be the guinea pig? Plus, I'd love to have Greg Evans involved at some level just to keep his expert opinion in the loop. Not sure how to make it worth his while as well, though.

--Rip

Old 12-20-2003 | 01:06 AM
Sorry Steele, I didn't read page two (oops) of this, I guess it would make semse for that. If anyone wants to pursue this, I have all the diagrams for the hydrualic and I think I have the electronic parts you'd need to explore it, let me know and I'll try to get a copy to whomever needs it.

G

Old 12-20-2003 | 01:51 AM
I agree with you completely, now get off your **** and start fiddling!
In this weather?! No way

If the weather is a little nicer I will sit down with the specs and an ascilloscope and figure out what is going on where. If I have the time, I can prototype a board and might be able to make it happen.

The big issue is still the computer feedback.

-Don

Old 12-20-2003 | 03:23 AM
I was warned when I asked about what will happen when I install my lockup override that it might cause the "OD" light to flash as if there were a problem.

I can stand a flashing OD light.

Old 12-20-2003 | 04:04 AM
madferraristi, I installed a switch inline from the PCM to the solenoid on the tranny that controls the torque converter lockup. I think it was pin 56 or something like that, but anyways, it works fine and when the switch is in the off position and it breaks the circuit...the converter will not lock up. You can run with it unlocked for a little while then it will throw a code and make the OD light flash, just wanted to let you know. I only installed it so I could use it at the dragstrip and I dont get a code then. I make a pass and after I cross the line and im slowing down I simply flip the switch back to the on position and the OD light never flashes. I do not know what makes it throw the code after exteneded use with it unlocked but I know it does. I just wanted ot give you some info although I'mn sure you already knew this.

Old 12-20-2003 | 04:17 AM
beastie,

Will you verify and tell me for sure what pin number you cut and switched. I cut and switched No. 54 that feeds the TCC solenoid and it didn't work (at least I thought I had #54 but maybe I'm getting blind in my old age).

Old 12-20-2003 | 06:49 PM
Well I didnt tap into that wire directly.....I have a 95 F-150 and on the drivers fender well there is a 16 pin plug and I tapped into pin 9 on it....when I looked up the schematic I found out that it was the same wire for the TCC solenoid. Also what kind of switch did you use? Dont use one that requires a ground. The wire I spliced into leads to pin 53 on my truck....but you have an ECC V and I have an EEC IV so maybe its different. Its a Purple Wire with a Yellow strip on it.

Last edited by beastie; 12-20-2003 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2003 | 07:21 PM
I'll look again, maybe I should put on my glasses

Old 07-07-2004 | 10:55 AM
ttt

Just trying to revive interest in the subject.

Suspension: done
Brakes: done

The tranny seems the next logical place to go.

Quick Reply: How electronic is our transmissions?